Blaster CNC Machined Scope barrel ring mounts

Today I realized that my large scope ring is about .030 of an inch off center. Has to do with the original design that I did. Wow this sucks. Thirty thousandths of an inch isn't much but it's not perfect.

I've redone the original design to insure it's symmetrical, but I have 12 sets of mounts I was hoping to sell and now I really can't. I've redone the design to fix it and started re-doing the machining programs and such but wow this sucks.

Starting to realize why machined parts are so damn expensive. I guess these will still be good test parts. Learning can be expensive.

OK, everything fixed and new scope ring mounts made. Still have to do the part the scope mounts to, the U'ish part that fits over the tops. I have stock and a plan. lets see how it works out.

Also working on a video showing the full machining process beginning to end of the scope mounts in my CNC machine.

Man I hate editing videos. had everything almost ready to go and found the audio quality was horrible. going to do some reshots and should have a real video up soon.

For the impatient yet very patient, Here is a 50+ minute video of the full raw uncut machining process.

Caution, mostly boring, really long video:

Getting really close. A few manual parts, split the large ring clap part, drill tap the small rings for the set screws.

and then a bucket of parts go off to be anodized.

20200521_212857.jpg

You've got to sort that scope out though.
yea, it's close but not quite right. have some feelers out looking for a more correct version. I may atleast machine some caps to give the adjustment knobs a more correct look, I may even be able to modify the base some to achieve the correct look.

Another consideration might be to try to obtain one of the 4x15 versions of the scope, which will be a lot cheaper than the 4x20 model. Then you could cut it down and stick an objective bell on the end.

It's not perfect but I may have found a good 70s era 4x15 with at least the correct site adjustment. Making a franken scope now until I can find something better.

Just dropped of everything to be anodized. should be about a week. should also have another video for this and the split plugs.

Still trying to figure out both a reasonable price and something that doesn't put me too far in the hole. Right now there's almost no way I could sell these at the price I'd like and even come close to break even without selling in the 1000s. I'll say for right now I want it to be less than $100 for a complete set. Once it's all finalized I'll post in the cargo hold.

Still trying to figure out both a reasonable price and something that doesn't put me too far in the hole. Right now there's almost no way I could sell these at the price I'd like and even come close to break even without selling in the 1000s. I'll say for right now I want it to be less than $100 for a complete set. Once it's all finalized I'll post in the cargo hold.

EDIT: quick update on "price I'd like" I judge this by what I'd like to pay for them if I didn't have access. Of course I'd like to get $1000 for each part as that'd pay everything off and get me well primed for the next job. I don't think anyone would pay that much, they're not worth that much and I want people to be able to afford them if they want them.

Just to get an idea, I got a quote to have these made from a normal machine shop, this is same material and no anodizing.

Most importantly, this is for one of the 6 parts that make up the set.

1592619584293.png

I will be significantly cheaper than this.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 2 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back