Rubies Costumes, A Cautionary Tale

Danthrax

New Hunter
I hesitate to post this, because I'm really pissed at myself for rushing into a purchase like this without doing any research ahead of time. But, as the subject line states, I hope anyone new to Fett-building (as I still am) will be able to avoid my mistake. I bought one of these ridiculous Rubies Supreme costumes, and it is just cheap crap pretty much across the board. I don't see how it would be good enough even for a very casual costume. The picture below is what I managed to do with all the original parts. To get to that point, everything had to be repainted. It's not "accurate" painting, just what I felt looked okay. A lot of the paint job on the helmet was done to cover up the original "damage", which looked like it had been done by children with fingerpaint. The armor and jetpack were redone with spray paints and topical damage.
I pulled all the Velcro off of everything. The armor was attached with epoxied bolts through eyelets. I built a harness with nylon straps for the jetpack. The jumpsuit and flak jacket were generally messed up with spray dye.
As it is, you could see it on Halloween and say "Oh, cool...Boba Fett." But the replacement process has already begun, hehe. I have new chest armor and a new girth belt. The gauntlets will need to be replaced, too. I'd like to replace the ammo belt, but damn those are expensive just for one component! Some of it I can live with, at least for now. The shoulder and knee plates are usable. The jumpsuit is okay (although a zipper will be a nice addition!). The flak jacket, while padded for some reason, should be okay. And the helmet, surprisingly, is not terrible, but could probably use a better paint job than what I've done.
Anyway, I hope people do a search for "Rubies" on here before buying one, and learn from my stupidity! DO NOT BUY ONE OF THESE THINGS!! Put the work into high-quality pieces and make it great, instead of putting all this work into making something just halfway decent.

Here's what I could manage with the original parts:
IMG_0546.JPG

It's something a lot of us almost fell into so dont beat yourself up to to much.Im no expert by any Menes but you'll find a whole lot of talented painters and propmakers that are most helpful here at the DH.Your suit looks a whole lot better from what u were able to change and upgrade.(y)

Made some of the same mistakes. Jumped in too quick without the right research. Happens to a lot of us who are excited up front.

Sent from my iPhone

The funny thing is the suit isn't really even remotely accurate. Case in point...

Boba-Fett-Costume-Returnof-the-Jedi-HD-083.png

There is no hose that comes off the back of the guantlet rocket as it does in the Rubies outfit. The hoses were attached on the OTHER guantlet. There are MANY MANY posts deriding the Rubies outfit on the forum here...but the above example is my favorite on how inaccurate the costume really is.

There is a hose off the gauntlet rocket in the SE version of the suit. I think it's duct taped on. Lol.

Glad to see that you've joined TDH, Danthrax. Sorry about the rubies purchase. Shake it off and start making it right :)

Just like the other guys have said we have all made that impulse purchase. Now since you are here at TDH it will be just a matter of time before you have a awesome boba

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back