ROTJ Scratch Build

Hey guys, first time posting here. I’ve been watching these forums for quite some time now, I started making my build about a month and a half ago but was holding off to start a wip. My goal is to scratch build as much of this as I can. It may not be 100% screen accurate but I want to at least get 501st approval. Was gonna hold off till I got a little more done before starting a thread, but I decided to make my first attempt at painting, and was wanting to get some opinions on it. I’m using rattle cans and maskol at the moment. I was trying to follow stormtroopers rattlecan guide but never could find the hunt club green. Ended up using krylon’s hunter green and I’m not sure if it’ll work or not. I feel like it does show up much darker in the photo than it does in person, but I just need to know if I need to completely redo this paint job or not. Thanks in advance!

Hello!
I have built my ROTJ Boba Fett and I also have made my armor (mostly) from scratch. And I used the rattlecan method for most of it. I tried to stick with Rust-oleum paints tho. I found that the Krylon was much more sensitive to temperature and humidity while painting. Which was causing crinkle and bubble defects. The Rust-oleum seemed to go on much easier. In my opinion, the Hunter Green is a bit to dark for the armor but I did use it for the rear panel of the helmet. I went with a satin Spruce Green for the base green. And then layered it with some light misting of black and brown. (All satin finish). Of course, The first layers of paint were primer gray, then Silver Mettallic (harder to find in Rust-oleum so I had to use Krylon)
Then after masking with liquid silicone, I used a layer of Satin Stone Grey (on the helmet) and after removing liquid mask, another layer of Primer Grey and another layer of liquid masking. ***make sure you remove the liquid mask after every layer and re-apply when needed! Otherwise the mask will tend to get locked under the paint***
Continue masking and layering yellow and masking, then the Spruce Green. It will seem pretty light at first, but once you mist it with black and brown, it becomes darker and more weathered looking. Hint: take your time. It’s a lot of layers and it takes time to dry between each application. The process could take a couple of days or so. Just have patience and it will come out great, I’m sure.
Good luck!

Attachments

• BCB74025-153A-4F82-8A32-B39D2C79E91D.jpeg
    BCB74025-153A-4F82-8A32-B39D2C79E91D.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 331
  • 916DB7F7-31BF-441D-87FD-D10D0E2F5D8D.jpeg
    916DB7F7-31BF-441D-87FD-D10D0E2F5D8D.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 305
  • 0D5C6860-9D59-45BF-8D8E-A5379C0AE314.jpeg
    0D5C6860-9D59-45BF-8D8E-A5379C0AE314.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 303
  • DA896BC8-18B4-4001-BE65-C78E64294A6E.jpeg
    DA896BC8-18B4-4001-BE65-C78E64294A6E.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 248
Last edited:
Ok, thanks for the tips. I’m learning this project is all about patience and taking your time. Was wondering why most people stayed away from the Krylon. Will definitely take a look. Thanks!

That is the route I think I am going to go. I just am really wanting to make everything that I can, it is saving me a ton of money by doing so and I really enjoy the creative experience as well.

I am in the middle of doing a ESB build. It helps that my wife has experience making clothes, has a sewing machine, a surger, 3 embroidering machines and a cricut...I am putting her to good use, lol.

I also have 2 3d printers, so I have been able to print ALOT!

Keep up the good work!

Looks great! What version are you going for? The color of your shoulder bell looks more like ESB version. Just make sure your color references match the version that you are aiming for.

Looks good! The green seems a bit dark, but that could just be the lighting. Remember, the colors will get even darker when weathered. What is the material? Is it sintra? Looks like it might be flexible? I made mine from 4mm thick sintra. It’s pretty tough. Yours looks a little thinner. I just hope it’s not too fragile. Kids can be rough on the armor when trooping.
I love the unicorn blanket btw. :)

Wow! That really looks fantastic! Better than mine even. You’ve inspired me to re-make mine to look more like yours! I really like the way that came out. See, I never actually bondo’d the bottom part of mine and it bothers me that I didn’t do it right. Even though I was able to get approved, mine is not as good as yours. Great job!!!
Now I have some work to do. Thanks. Lol

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back