ROTJ wip (mostly scratch build)

Jetpackfett

New Hunter
Hey guys, first time posting here. I’ve been watching these forums for quite some time now, I started making my build about a month and a half ago but was holding off to start a wip. My goal is to scratch build as much of this as I can. It may not be 100% screen accurate but I want to at least get 501st approval. Was gonna hold off till I got a little more done before starting a thread, but I decided to make my first attempt at painting, and was wanting to get some opinions on it. I’m using rattle cans and maskol at the moment. I was trying to follow stormtroopers rattlecan guide but never could find the hunt club green. Ended up using krylon’s hunter green and I’m not sure if it’ll work or not. I feel like it does show up much darker in the photo than it does in person, but I just need to know if I need to completely redo this paint job or not. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

Swiftcloud

New Hunter
Hey guys, first time posting here. I’ve been watching these forums for quite some time now, I started making my build about a month and a half ago but was holding off to start a wip. My goal is to scratch build as much of this as I can. It may not be 100% screen accurate but I want to at least get 501st approval. Was gonna hold off till I got a little more done before starting a thread, but I decided to make my first attempt at painting, and was wanting to get some opinions on it. I’m using rattle cans and maskol at the moment. I was trying to follow stormtroopers rattlecan guide but never could find the hunt club green. Ended up using krylon’s hunter green and I’m not sure if it’ll work or not. I feel like it does show up much darker in the photo than it does in person, but I just need to know if I need to completely redo this paint job or not. Thanks in advance!
Hello!
I have built my ROTJ Boba Fett and I also have made my armor (mostly) from scratch. And I used the rattlecan method for most of it. I tried to stick with Rust-oleum paints tho. I found that the Krylon was much more sensitive to temperature and humidity while painting. Which was causing crinkle and bubble defects. The Rust-oleum seemed to go on much easier. In my opinion, the Hunter Green is a bit to dark for the armor but I did use it for the rear panel of the helmet. I went with a satin Spruce Green for the base green. And then layered it with some light misting of black and brown. (All satin finish). Of course, The first layers of paint were primer gray, then Silver Mettallic (harder to find in Rust-oleum so I had to use Krylon)
Then after masking with liquid silicone, I used a layer of Satin Stone Grey (on the helmet) and after removing liquid mask, another layer of Primer Grey and another layer of liquid masking. ***make sure you remove the liquid mask after every layer and re-apply when needed! Otherwise the mask will tend to get locked under the paint***
Continue masking and layering yellow and masking, then the Spruce Green. It will seem pretty light at first, but once you mist it with black and brown, it becomes darker and more weathered looking. Hint: take your time. It’s a lot of layers and it takes time to dry between each application. The process could take a couple of days or so. Just have patience and it will come out great, I’m sure.
Good luck!

Attachments

Last edited:

Jetpackfett

New Hunter
Ok, thanks for the tips. I’m learning this project is all about patience and taking your time. Was wondering why most people stayed away from the Krylon. Will definitely take a look. Thanks!

Jetpackfett

New Hunter
C0C1BAD4-DAE0-435C-9435-078F84124987.jpeg
11B8F06E-9C8E-4B6F-BDB5-70AC192994A4.jpeg
So I got the right chest and ab plate painted, still need to weather both a little more. Also got the right shoulder painted. Still need to weather it quite a bit as well. Got the yellow down on the kidney plate right now, will spray the first layer of green later today. The lighting in my room is terrible and makes the colors look a little off. I feel like it’s pretty spot on in person. My sister is a really talented artist and I had her look at these colors to make sure it matched up. Got a couple more pieces to hopefully finish sanding up this weekend.

Jetpackfett

New Hunter
Thanks man, appreciate it! I used stencils and cut everything out of 3mm Sinatra. I just sanded after that, and prepped for paint.

pucksdown

Jr Hunter
That is the route I think I am going to go. I just am really wanting to make everything that I can, it is saving me a ton of money by doing so and I really enjoy the creative experience as well.

I am in the middle of doing a ESB build. It helps that my wife has experience making clothes, has a sewing machine, a surger, 3 embroidering machines and a cricut...I am putting her to good use, lol.

I also have 2 3d printers, so I have been able to print ALOT!

Keep up the good work!

Jetpackfett

New Hunter
Wow that’s great! I’ll definitely be watching your build to see how things go! I agree that you can save so much by trying to make it. It is loads of fun to do too. I’m in the same boat as you with the sewing family member. My Grandmaw taught me how, so I have her to thank for that. Don’t know what we’d do without these crafty family members. The sintra is great stuff too, you won’t regret going that route! I’ll be looking forward to seeing your build come together!

Jetpackfett

New Hunter
D69E5EE3-104A-4606-A89E-654FE29B51AE.jpeg
Finished up the kidney plate. Have to say I’m pretty happy with it. Wanting to have a couple more pieces finished in the next few days.

Swiftcloud

New Hunter
Looks great! What version are you going for? The color of your shoulder bell looks more like ESB version. Just make sure your color references match the version that you are aiming for.

Jetpackfett

New Hunter
Yeah I need to go back over the shoulder bell. I didn’t get the color on that quite right. Nothing a little repaint won’t fix!(y)

Jetpackfett

New Hunter
15F3FF65-565E-47BB-9884-1FCC0094750C.jpeg
1517C935-FA67-4F05-9126-7EF1491DD193.jpeg
A075924C-1722-466E-A1C0-1708106978E1.jpeg
Misted some more yellow onto the shoulder. Weathered it pretty heavily. It might be a little too much, I’ll take some off if I have to. I just love a good filthy Fett.lol got a little more sanding and painting to do and the chest diamond will be done in a day or two.

Last edited:

Jetpackfett

New Hunter
So this codpiece has been a pain. Lots of bondo and sanding but we’re finally getting close. Just a little more sanding before I’ll be ready for paint. Paint is also drying on the chest diamond, so that’ll be done tomorrow as well.
604C0E9D-0909-4244-9FC3-248D0D6BD253.jpeg

Jetpackfett

New Hunter
3077A61A-F801-488F-A225-68A723FC730C.jpeg
It’s been about a week or so since I updated, but I just got the other chest armor painted. With that I’ve got the main chest abs, and diamond done. Still have to weather all three and get the decal, but progress is being made.

Swiftcloud

New Hunter
Looks good! The green seems a bit dark, but that could just be the lighting. Remember, the colors will get even darker when weathered. What is the material? Is it sintra? Looks like it might be flexible? I made mine from 4mm thick sintra. It’s pretty tough. Yours looks a little thinner. I just hope it’s not too fragile. Kids can be rough on the armor when trooping.
I love the unicorn blanket btw. :)

Jetpackfett

New Hunter
I made mine out of 3mm Sinatra, so it’s jst a little thinner than yours. It feels sturdy enough to me but if there’s a problem when I start trooping I may have to reinforce it then. The lightning in bedroom is terrible it doesn’t look near that dark in person. If I do some weathering and it’s too dark, I’ll jst repaint. Won’t be a big problem. I’ve had that blanket for years lol. I honestly didn’t even realize there was unicorns on it.:lol:

Jetpackfett

New Hunter
So I think I’ve finally got the codpiece finished off for the most part, as with the rest of the armor I’m holding off a little bit on weathering atm. The cod was kind of a pain to scratch build so I’m glad I’m done with that. I know in these pictures it still looks pretty dark. I’m pretty confident the colors are alright but I plan on taking what I have finished to a con this summer jst to get the colors looked at by the 501st guys. Also started work on the flask jacket the other day. It’s already coming together quite nicely, I’ll try to have some pictures of it as I get closer.

Swiftcloud

New Hunter
Wow! That really looks fantastic! Better than mine even. You’ve inspired me to re-make mine to look more like yours! I really like the way that came out. See, I never actually bondo’d the bottom part of mine and it bothers me that I didn’t do it right. Even though I was able to get approved, mine is not as good as yours. Great job!!!
Now I have some work to do. Thanks. Lol

Jetpackfett

New Hunter
Thanks a lot, I really appreciate it! Glad to hear you were inspired by it! It definitely took A LOT of sanding. I actually made 2 layers of the centerpiece, one made of cardboard and the top layer of Sinatra. I super glued them onto the codpiece to give it a little height and just went to town with bond to there. From there it’s just sanding and reapplying bondo! Good luck! Hope it turns out how you want!