RoTJ Spats and 501st question

crumdum

Active Hunter
Hey all,

First let me reference the site link....

http://www.501st.com/databank/Costuming:BH_Boba_Fett-RotJ

The picture shows the spats basically having the same color as the the flight suit. Yet this is written for 501st credentials...

cellspacing="10" width="100%" style="width: 100%"
|-
| valign="top" | Spats
For 501st approval:

• The top of the boot is covered by a fabric spat of similar color to the belt pouches.

|-
| For level two certification (if applicable):

|-
| For level three certification (if applicable):

|-
Now if you read what the belt pouches are supposed to be...

Hip Pouches
For 501st approval:

• A pouch is present at each hip.
  • Pouches are beige and must be weathered.
  • Pouches have angled flaps at the top.
  • Pouches are mounted via fabric loops over the ammo belt. The loops are the full width of the pouches.

Basically you would think the spats are supposed to be beige in color. Which is correct because I am confused!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes I think they are also beige or khaki. I've always made them in khaki. I don't think they match the FS to my eye.

Here's a pic of Bobamakers spats if these don't pass 501 I don't know what will.Def on the Khaki side.

image.jpg

Weathering makes it more one whole... I think the dirt and grease that runs around the shin tools runs down onto his ankles to dirty them up

Yup, the spats should be similar to the beige pouches. Look good and hard at the weathering though, in the gallery stills. For whatever reason, the spats are not weathered very heavily, even though one would think they should be as the legs nearing the ankle are pretty heavily weathered. Look at Deathproofs ROTJ build up thread to check his out.

I appreciate the kudos, Sean :) But I'm sure I weathered more than what others might do. I might bring it back a bit...when I've got everything put together I'll give it the ole up and down and see if I'm happy with the overall look. Misting grey to knock it down may be the key now that I've gotten better at airbrushing.

To me, the spats don't look beige, and the weathering looks much darker in this promo shot than I've seen in others (hence me going dark in the first place). That's just me though.

Boba-Fett-Costume-Return-of-the-Jedi-02a.jpg

Regardless, always go by gallery stills and do what you feel is right. It's your costume :)

Well ultimately yes it's your call on color but.....The CRL is calling for beige or khaki. If you're after 501st approval you gotta stick with the CRL. Plenty of reference for khaki to me. I'm garrison GML as well.

I know, I know :)

I'm gonna play ball with the spats... I just think there is definite colour difference between the pouches and the spats.

I mean....even with a difference in shadow, I think it's clear there are two different colours:

Boba-Fett-Costume-Return-of-the-Jedi-Jabba-02.jpg

For clarification I did not intend nor say to use DP's as absolute reference. I stated to check the gallery images first and foremost, but that he could view DP's thread to see how he handled it.

Contrary to what syllander just said never go by another members build for reference. ALWAYS use the gallery.

True , never know what new colors you could discover but basically it prevents you from making a mistake he made and didn't notice or added a touch of his that isn't on the original.

I do agree with the spats too. I think maybe having your own pair on hand for troops would be a good idea. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I would agree that ROTJ "SE" has khaki spats. There are much more cleaner photos to prove this. Click any in the SE gallery.

But ROTJ itself is something different and closer to the flightsuit. I think there were talks around here that they may have even been pre-pro spats. There aren't many ROTJ promo shots that are full length, so it's definitely harder to determine.

Boba-Fett-Costume-Return-of-the-Jedi-16.jpg

Not that all of this matters, really. I think the guys over at BHG closed the book on the ROTJ CRL, and that's fine. It's an extremely complicated costume with so many different variations, decisions had to be made somewhere.

The darkness wouldn't really determine colour....but a darker shade of the colour. The other images I linked are just other examples on how the "colour" is different between the spats and pouches.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back