ROTJ Rattlecan Helmet

cbrant

Active Hunter
Got my Asok CC in the mail today and got to work on it immediately. Having never handled anything with a cold cast layer, I wasn't sure what to expect out of the box..

A4.jpgA1.jpgA2.jpgA3.jpg

Notice all of the bubbles... I really had no clue what to think about that, so I took some pictures. There are also some indentations on the dome by both ears that I am not sure are supposed to be there. Anyway, after some deliberations with myself, I took it to the shop. Got this (bonus Commander Neyo helmet I painted and my brother weathered)
H2.jpgH1.jpg

I don't really know what to do about the MQ-1, other than than just cut it out. The Borden had a bubble in each hole which I tried my best to remove. Was able to remove some of the easier to get to bubbles. I like the cold cast, but I think I'm just going to use filler primer and some aluminum paint on it. Thoughts? From the limited amount of CC helmets I've seen, I didn't expect that many imperfections, though I am still very happy with the helmet and excited to get it painted.

I think bubbles are just a fact of life when dealing with casting... I suggest you buy a set of picks (they have helped me a lot). With a little elbbow grease, you'll get'er done!

Last edited by a moderator:
cold cast helmets are loaded with imperfections right out of the box; it's the time you spend working on them that makes them beautiful. most of the bubbles you're looking at could be picked out with an exacto knife, or set of picks like nugzilla said. the imperfections that you're seeing on the left side of the helmet just need to be sanded down... hard. don't worry about going through the cold cast layer, it's pretty thick on asok helmets (i've done probably close to 20 of the cold cast jango helmets) so get yourself a mouse sander and some 220 grit pads for it. i'm pretty sure the globs on the back right of the helmet can be handled the same way. and for the borden, if you have the dremel drill bit set you could gently drill them out (https://www.dremel.com/en-us/Accessories/Pages/ProductDetail.aspx?pid=628-01)

btw, that is a gorgeous neo helmet.

Strange, ive worked on quite a few ASOK CC helmets over the years and i never seen any with bubbles like that. Every one was flawless.

What that looks like to me, is a new mold was made that had air pockets in it. This has happened to me on occasion and that is exactly what a casting looks like that has air pockets in the mold, most likely from pouring the rubber on the master too quickly. Especially in the key slots, on the FP logo, the forehead detail...tell tale sign of air pockets in the mold. If any other castings are from this mold they will likely have the exact same bubbles.

That said, it is fixable like mentioned above. If you need to just cut out the keyslots LMK and i'll send you a MQ-1 board casting free of charge :)

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back