ROTJ Paint Colours in the UK

Ok put this up for both armour and helmet, have found many different paint lists and can only find those containing american brands, or brands not available in the UK, does anyone have or can anyone point me in the direction of a list of paints for the ROTJ colour scheme (thats the one with the silver ear caps) any help would be most appreciated,

i would prefer to use rattle cans for the main base colours as the airbrushing will be done for weathering and shading only.

Here's how i did my last ROTJ using Humbrol paints:

ROTJ no.2 FPH
1. mask helmet leaving dome and lower cheeks
2. liquid mask bright silver on dome and cheeks
3. mist black 33 on dome and cheeks, darker in certain areas as per ref pics
4. seal with satin cote
5. liquid mask misted areas on dome and cheeks
6. spray grey 79 in areas as per ref pics e.g. around certain bright silver damage on dome etc
-GREY NEEDS TO BE A SHADE DARKER!!-
7. liquid mask grey areas
8. spray green 78 x2 coats on dome and cheeks
9. spray green 86x1 mist coat and x1 speckle coat
10. leave to dry at least 24 hrs
11. remove liquid mask and lightly buff with 0000 wire wool
12. mask kill stripes and spray orange 00x 3-4 coats
13. leave to dry 24hrs, remove mask and lightly buff with 000 wire wool
14. lightly mist grey 79 on to dome and cheeks as per ref pics to reduce contrast in certain areas
15. leave to dry for 24 hrs then lightly buff with 0000 wire wool to blend if needed
16. lightly spray black 33 all over helmet to darken as per ref pics also blends the green grey contrast, carefull not to over-do!
17. remove masking tape from upper cheeks, mask lower cheeks liquid mask edge of upper cheeks, mask bright silver damage then mist with black 33 then satin cote.
18. mask misted damage then spray black 33, then mist grey 79 and green 78 very lightly with more green on upper L/H cheek
19. mask entire helmet leaving mandibles and trim
20. liquid mask bright silver damage on mandibles and trim
-LEAVE FINE LINES ON BRIGHT SILVER DAMAGE FOR THE SP PENCIL!!-
21. fine mist spray black 33 on mandible and trim as per ref pics
22. soften black mist with grey 79
23. seal with satin cote
24. mask grey damage
25. spray red 73 on mandible and trim
26. remove all masking, then mask entire helmet except back panels
27. liguid mask bright silver on back panels, then mist grey 79 lightly, liquid mask light grey damage small detail on both back panels, looks like masking tape pulls?
28. fine black 33 mist/shading, do not over do!!
29. 131 and 76 1:1 on back panels
30. 1-2 layers tobrighten the back panels in certain areas with101 green
31. mask back panels, expose key slots, liquid mask silver damage, spray grey 79 very lightly then splatter black 33 also very lightly
32. satin seal entire helmet with 3-4 good coats....
33. alloy L/H ear: dremmel damage, then white primer. Spray silver 11 then satin cote. Liquid mask silver damage. Brown 62 light coats then darken with black 33. Rub with 0000 wire wool as per ref pics going down to silver, white and alloy in places

DSCF0001_19.jpg

DSCF0021_11.jpg

DSCF0022_8.jpg

DSCF0023_8.jpg

thanks for that, your bucket is awesome, however i'm a little confused, did you spray the helmet silver first, then mask off the areas that show through and then mist the whole unmasked silver helmet black?

i have a basic idea of how i'm going to tackle it, with the main damage masked off first and the detailing done topically, it was just paints i had trouble with but i reckon your list will help

... however i'm a little confused, did you spray the helmet silver first, then mask off the areas that show through and then mist the whole unmasked silver helmet black?

Take the black to darken down the silver ... mask the bright silver parts and darken the rest of silver down with the black ... I prefer to go over it with several "thin" layers. better to go with more layers to darken it than to over do it.

TF´s list and painting skills are top notch! I followed his advices two times now with best results!

@ TF: Thanks for that, brother!

thanks for that, your bucket is awesome, however i'm a little confused, did you spray the helmet silver first, then mask off the areas that show through and then mist the whole unmasked silver helmet black?

i have a basic idea of how i'm going to tackle it, with the main damage masked off first and the detailing done topically, it was just paints i had trouble with but i reckon your list will help

I just started to read my list and got confused too! I left out the fact that the helmet is primed and sprayed with a base silver first, before this all the scratches are added, an important step that dictates where a lot of the painted damage ends up so worth taking time over. The whole helmet is then layered in sections as on the list...

DSCF0001_100.jpg

This is a great guide but I am finding it impossible to find many of the key colors in this and other guides. The humbrol products are hit and miss both on Amazon and even on Humbrol's sites. Some of the other brands listed have been discontinued entirely. Is there an alternative set of paints using more readily available brands? I have a bliks fine art, michaels, and hobby lobby nearbye but would rather not guess at matching colors. Thanks!

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back