Rascal's Dumb Boba Costume Question Thread! HELP!?!?!

TheRascalKing

New Hunter
Hey all,

Can anyone help me identify the maker of these boots I bought secondhand? Looking to get toe spikes but am not sure if these are MoW or something else. I'd also love to know what price range they usually go for since I'm pretty sure I got a good deal on them. Let me know your thoughts and thank you!

IMG_20180117_192247.jpg

IMG_20180117_192253.jpg

IMG_20180117_192317.jpg

IMG_20180117_192305.jpg

IMG_20180117_192247.jpg

Those are definitely not MOW...I have actually never seen that pair before. They need quite a bit of work to be screen-accurate.

Things that are custom made aren't easy to stick a price on and say "oh that was a good deal" because the price is only however much people are willing to pay for it. MOW boots go for around 250 and CA Boots, the only retail shoe offering, 180. Yours are neither but if you paid under a hundred then good!

IMG_7382.JPG
They are mark Cheng boots , hand made and highly regarded by Previous Fett builders and collectors. They were used by members of TDH before MOW and were only produced in small runs for what I have read. I own a pair myself. You may have to get the toe spikes fabricated as the toe shape is unique

Those are definitely not MOW...I have actually never seen that pair before. They need quite a bit of work to be screen-accurate.

Thanks for the feedback! Out of curiosity, as I'm still very new to the world of Boba and still learning, other than the toe spikes and a better paint job (I've already found this thread which I hope will help me spruce them up a bit), what other work might they need to be first just basic approvable, and then later screen accurate?

MOW boots go for around 250 and CA Boots, the only retail shoe offering, 180. Yours are neither but if you paid under a hundred then good!

Awesome - I got some decent but not great ROTJ painted front armor, vest, and the boots for about $100USD total. Pretty decent come up then!

They are mark Cheng boots , hand made and highly regarded by Previous Fett builders and collectors. They were used by members of TDH before MOW and were only produced in small runs for what I have read. I own a pair myself. You may have to get the toe spikes fabricated as the toe shape is unique

Super, thanks for sharing that info! They definitely look older since they're pretty faded, but are in very good shape overall. Do you have any suggestions for vendors I can reach out to for toe spikes? Would you say it would be worth keeping and working on them or should I look for a MoW set? I've come to understand they're done doing runs, I believe... and these fit me pretty darn well, actually! Are CA Boots the only other ones regularly available? If these are better, then...... :)

MOW are available from time to time DO NOT BUY CABOOTS they are not accurate at all. You have boots that look way better already. Talk to Machinecraft the MOW spikes should do you just fine... you might need to play with the plates a little to make them work though.

MOW are available from time to time DO NOT BUY CABOOTS they are not accurate at all. You have boots that look way better already. Talk to Machinecraft the MOW spikes should do you just fine... you might need to play with the plates a little to make them work though.

Cool - yea, the CA Boots looked like a lot of work by comparison to keeping these. And also cool - MachineCraft was going to be my first email. I've seen their work for Wasted Fett and it looks quality. Either that or see if someone could 3D print some for me... I'd prefer metal though. What plates are you talking about though?

Also, while I have some knowledgeable people in here... are there any noteworthy differences between PrePro, ESB, and ROTJ boots?

Thank you all for the help! I'm just barely stepping into this world but ROTJ Boba has been my dream costume for years. Started out easy with an ID and then TK, now I'm almost done with a HWT conversion and I'm starting to collect pieces for my Boba build. Hard to contain my excitement!

i would go any day with MOW boots and like fett 4 real said, "DO NOT BUY CABOOTS" they are not accurate and it's better to pay a bit more and get the quality you really want for your build.

is this his last run or is he going to make more ? heard something about him quitting the business around boba boot making ?

There is a set on a certain auction site by a maker I shall not name who lives in South America . Looking at them they look like they will fit

Thanks for the feedback! Out of curiosity, as I'm still very new to the world of Boba and still learning, other than the toe spikes and a better paint job (I've already found this thread which I hope will help me spruce them up a bit), what other work might they need to be first just basic approvable, and then later screen accurate?

At first I thought there was no physical piping on them, in which I was mistaken. That was going to be my main suggestion to rectify.

At first I thought there was no physical piping on them, in which I was mistaken. That was going to be my main suggestion to rectify.

*PHEW* So hopefully just some paint and custom toe spikes and I'll have a nice, quality pair of boots for a good price. Thanks for the info all, much appreciated!

Changed the name of this thread to consolidate all my dumb questions so I don't open new threads... Maybe at some point this will turn into a more official-looking ROTJ Boba build thread haha

ANYWAYS!

Saw these over on another board - how does the paint and assembly look? Seller is asking $250, which sounds like a pretty average fair price for gauntlets... Other than probably wanting to upgrade to machined metal bits instead of the resin, they look pretty good to me, but I don't have the trained eye ya'll do. Let me know your thoughts and I may purchase these for my ROTJ build! As always, I appreciate everyone's thoughts and help!

xhZ0sVt.jpg

QBme77G.jpg
0gfbvAQ.jpg
Q8CiBw2.jpg

IMO the base gauntlets don’t look too bad, but the paint application leaves much to be desired.
I second that. I think you could pass with them as is, but definitely not top tier paint job.

Cool, thanks for the replies, guys! I may see if I can talk him down a bit to account for the less-than-perfect paint, or I'll keep an eye out for others.

Back to my original boot problem, I got this reply from MachineCraft:

"Hey Justin,

Our spikes are definitely geared towards the MoW boots until something becomes available. As for fitment with the Mark Chengs you have, I do think they could be modified to work, but it would probably require a good amount of fabrication on your part and likely would take making an entirely new bracket to attach to the boot, so you may not find it to be worth it. I know others have done the same with the older MoW boots and I believe CA Boots using our spikes. However, I can't promise anything since we do only make them with one boot in mind. I would probably recommend asking around on TDH and see if anyone else has acquired these boots lately and what option they decided to go with. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Dakota"

Very quick response, but admittedly not the most helpful ever... I asked them to send me a couple pics of their mounting bracket system so I can see if it's something I think I can modify to make work. If MoW boots are going away slowly, I'm unsure what anyone will do for toe spikes in time!? 3D printed ones? Anyone have any thoughts about going that route?

View attachment 159858 They are mark Cheng boots , hand made and highly regarded by Previous Fett builders and collectors. They were used by members of TDH before MOW and were only produced in small runs for what I have read. I own a pair myself. You may have to get the toe spikes fabricated as the toe shape is unique

Hey Funkyred - any idea where your toe spikes came from? Could you possibly elaborate on what makes the toe shape unique? Could I possibly bend the bracket or even slightly trim the sole to work? Just spitballing here. I appreciate any brainstorming you guys can do to help make these work! Thanks to all!

I have a pair of machinecraft spikes and they're very easy to bend to fit the boot, but I think it would be wise to measure first. I can supply measurements of the pair I have if that's helpful.

Although irrelevant to the fit on the boot, I thought it would be worth noting to everyone that the spikes aren't the same size on both sides, which I believe is a compromise between the ESB and ROTJ styles. (Here I believe that the ESB had longer spikes on both sides, whereas the ROTJ had shorter) Here are some pictures:

Here you can see that the one on top is significantly shorter than the one on bottom.

IMG_8320.JPG
IMG_8318.JPG

The length for each side is 1 1/2", 2 1/8", 1 1/2", respectively. The width is 5/8". The thickness is 1/16", if anyone needed to know.

IMG_8321.JPG

^ EXTREMELY helpful, and very much appreciated! Is there any way you could snap some pics of what the bracket on the boot looks like? Does it just screw in where the holes are?

The bracket may not be terribly difficult to fabricate, and I may just be able to install the MachineCraft actual spikes, as they look detachable...

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back