Pinkflamingos6 ROTJ Build

Irongladiator

Active Hunter
TDH PREMIUM MEMBER
Have you tried hitting the armor with 0000 steel wool after the paint has dried a bit this will help with the tackiness and also take that gloss down since most of the armor is matte colors!
PinkFlamingos6
I’m not sure if you’ve addressed this yet or not. But I’ve had a not so great mixture of paint once (tackiness) and I hit mine with a matte clear coat which, after drying seemed to have done the trick. Tackiness was non-existent.

-Iron
 
Thank you guys for the helpful tips!

I think my problem was that the paint required so many coats to achieve the correct color. Mix that with the extreme humidity we get on Long Island this time of year and that's more than likely what caused the issue.

I was able to get all the paint off the armor pieces using citristrip (not recommended for plastic) but I didn't find any adverse effects. I only let it sit for a few minutes before I started scrubbing the paint off using a heavy duty scouring pad. I then washed the stripper off and let the pieces soak for a few days in a mix of simple green and water. I then was able to scrub the remaining paint and primer off.

I need to give all the pieces a light wet sand before moving onto the primer. This time around I'm going to use the same paints, but I will be airbrushing the paint on.

I'm going to wait a little while for things to cool off and dry up on the island before attempting to paint again. In the meantime I'm going to put my build on hold for a little while. Have a lot of personal things going on I need to address before I want to move forward on the costume.
 

spicy fett

Active Hunter
So I used the exact same spray paint you used while doing test runs of different colors before I decided to just go with archive x lol now with that yellow I did about 3 layers letting each layer dry at least a day before adding another coat and hitting each layer with the steel wool to scuff up the surface before adding another layer and it worked well. Using an airbrush might give you a little more control but it won’t help the fact that the paint goes on very very thin making multiple coats needed to achieve the color on the can. Hope this helps
 

Krewkid82

Active Hunter
TDH PREMIUM MEMBER
Thank you guys for the helpful tips!

I think my problem was that the paint required so many coats to achieve the correct color. Mix that with the extreme humidity we get on Long Island this time of year and that's more than likely what caused the issue.

I was able to get all the paint off the armor pieces using citristrip (not recommended for plastic) but I didn't find any adverse effects. I only let it sit for a few minutes before I started scrubbing the paint off using a heavy duty scouring pad. I then washed the stripper off and let the pieces soak for a few days in a mix of simple green and water. I then was able to scrub the remaining paint and primer off.

I need to give all the pieces a light wet sand before moving onto the primer. This time around I'm going to use the same paints, but I will be airbrushing the paint on.

I'm going to wait a little while for things to cool off and dry up on the island before attempting to paint again. In the meantime I'm going to put my build on hold for a little while. Have a lot of personal things going on I need to address before I want to move forward on the costume.
I hope everything is well and you'll return to your build soon!
 
Top