Paint test

ShortFuse

Well-Known Hunter
So I’ve been wanting to experiment painting with some of the craft paint I’ve bought in the past at Hobby Lobby, and that I use from time to time on my build. I have used this paint for weathering my soft parts and staining my girth belt in very diluted form.

Recently,I was wanting to update my shoulder bells I made a couple of years ago and thought this would be a good opportunity to conduct a paint experiment. My original shoulder bells were made with 3mm sintra and I painted them exclusively with spray paint cans, with recommended colors found here on TDH. They turned out pretty good, but they always seemed too thin and I couldn’t achieve the return edge I was wanting. On my new ones I used 6mm sintra and they looked a lot better.

So, on to the experiment. Below is a picture of the new shoulder bells painted exclusively with the aforementioned paint thinned with Windex and shot through a airbrush. They didn’t turn out half bad. What do you guys think? Comments welcome. Thanks.

83BBC2E4-04D8-41BF-AABE-078500E12FB4.jpeg

Looks good, FYI windex will tear up your airbrush if you use it often. The ammonia eats away the chrome, Id use it sparingly a friend of mine does swear by it though. However Im not trying to ruin a $200 brush

Looks good, FYI windex will tear up your airbrush if you use it often. The ammonia eats away the chrome, Id use it sparingly a friend of mine does swear by it though. However Im not trying to ruin a $200 brush

Thanks. I’ve heard that as well. I was using an old paasche single action, so no big loss.

I wasn’t planning on using this method all the time. It was just something I thought I would give a try to see how it turned out. They have an extensive selection of colors and they’re pretty cheap. Thought it might be an option for those that wanted something decent looking, but were on a budget or didn’t want to mix paint. All in all, it turned out better than I expected. Not sure how well they will hold up though. That remains to be seen.

FYI these are the colors I chose, for anyone interested.

6AF6A552-0675-48F5-865F-C72ED248E296.jpeg

That is a really interesting choice of paint you went with. Totally not intended for airbrush, but you made it work.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back