Newbie starting on ROTJ Boba Fett

Hello all! I've lurked here for a while and am finally posting. I'm a newbie taking my first steps down the road toward an accurate ROTJ Boba kit. I've costumed for a while and have screen-accurate kits from other franchises and am (mostly) aware of the cost and challenges to come. I have some decent skills when it comes to painting and weathering.

Since I'd like to be as accurate as possible, my first thought is to buy the helmet finished (painted and weathered by someone who has done it many times before and knows exactly what they are doing with templates, etc.). I feel the helmet should be the most "perfect" part of the costume. Are any helmet vendors known to be more accurate (with shape, paint/weathering) than others? So far, I've been really impressed with Bobamaker's site.

I'll probably end up buying kits for all the other armor and do the painting and weathering on those myself. I've seen other threads here where guys are having to mod and trim gauntlet kits (which tells me the kits they bought weren't accurate to start with). Are there any vendors that sell accurate armor/gauntlet kits that won't require mods right out of the box?

Lastly - paint. I know this question has been asked 100 times, but is there a list of airbrush/rattle can paint colors that closely match the ROTJ armor/jet pack? Most threads I find are 8+ years old and seem very subjective when it comes to color matching. Most people seem to guess, or pick what looks right to them. Even the 501st CRL basically just says to paint it medium/dark green. Seems hard to believe that no one has yet nailed down close color matches to the actual screen-used suit(s). Maybe I've just not found it yet.

501st approval is not a goal, but I figure since I'm starting this project from scratch, I might as well make sure I'm meeting those requirements as I go - just in case I ever decide to apply.

Looking forward to jumping into this project and I really appreciate the feedback!

PS - I'm in the U.S.

Last edited by a moderator:
Since Bobamaker is from the UK shipping may not be the cheapest, which factors into the overall price of the helmet. I know many favor the FPH2, currently available, from what I know, from Animefan and Wasteland. A smaller but also well respected helmet is the GMH, available from Skyfire (and other odd sellers too maybe). I don't actually know where exactly all those people are located. All those are kits. You can have the helmets sent to a dedicated painter, or, find someone who both makes helmets and paints them. Darth Voorhees has his own modded helmet he sells and I believe occasionally does commissions for. ToEleven has sculpted his own helmet from scratch and paints them too I believe.

Many of those above are suited towards an ESB style helmet, but many offer ROTJ versions.

I too have a helmet I scratch built (the one in my profile pic), and just recently finished sculpting and molding after over a year's work. I'm in the middle of preparing a couple casts for a ROTJ style paint-up, having already done one on my very first scratch-built helmet. I will be using an airbrush, and I've nearly finished collecting all my paints for another such endeavor. If you're interested, PM me and I can show you my previous painting experience and possibly do a full commission. Advantages with me is I don't have much of a wait time, and am ready to do a full ROTJ paint-job already since I was already planning on doing one. My helmet FS thread is here: For Sale Le1120's Fett V2 helmet kits in gelcoat *Limited run of 20*

However regardless I would absolutely recommend any of the builders/makers/painters listed above. Very top notch work, and many dedicated painters out there who are amazing as well.

Let me know if you have any questions!

bobamaker does make a good helmet. But the wait time is long. As for a painter Fett4real (dom) is a good guy and does really good helmet paint jobs.

Just avoid buying a helmet from ebay and stick here for venders who make fett stuff.

Not sure what you mean by 'modding the gauntlets', but all gaunt kits do require trimming because you can't make a 'one size fits all', so vendors typically make only one size gaunts (as close to movie size as possible) that try to cover many different size forearms as possible, because it's just not practical to make a set of gaunt molds for 20 different sizes of forearms. Hence the extra material on the sides of the gaunts that need to be trimmed down (not to mention they also try to accommodate different closure methods that people may want to do...i.e. Velcro, hinges, magnets, etc.). That's why you usually have to trim them to size for your own arms.
As far as modding them goes, you really shouldn't have to do that at all unless they just won't line up properly, or something of that nature.

SarlaccSlayer14 said:
I'll probably end up buying kits for all the other armor and do the painting and weathering on those myself. I've seen other threads here where guys are having to mod and trim gauntlet kits (which tells me the kits they bought weren't accurate to start with). Are there any vendors that sell accurate armor/gauntlet kits that won't require mods right out of the box?

Lastly - paint. I know this question has been asked 100 times, but is there a list of airbrush/rattle can paint colors that closely match the ROTJ armor/jet pack? Most threads I find are 8+ years old and seem very subjective when it comes to color matching. Most people seem to guess, or pick what looks right to them. Even the 501st CRL basically just says to paint it medium/dark green. Seems hard to believe that no one has yet nailed down close color matches to the actual screen-used suit(s). Maybe I've just not found it yet.

501st approval is not a goal, but I figure since I'm starting this project from scratch, I might as well make sure I'm meeting those requirements as I go - just in case I ever decide to apply.

Looking forward to jumping into this project and I really appreciate the feedback!

PS - I'm in the U.S.

For hard parts other than your helmet, redkraytdragon makes a very good kit for ROTJ (that's what I've used, and I'm very happy with it), and it does not require any "modding", just trimming to clean up the edges and size the gauntlets (full disclosure, I did mod my right gauntlet a bit, but I think I was just being... uh what's that word for "overly detail oriented" that starts with an "a"?). For paint, on the hard parts other than the helmet, you can go here: https://www.mindmeister.com/113525354/boba-fett-paint-colors for a start. I think a lot of folks use the Humbrol colors, as many of the previously favored brands are no longer being made. You can check out my build thread (www.thedentedhelmet.com/showthread.php?t=55966) for a step-by-step treatment using RKD's parts and Humbrol paints.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just got my flak vest made by batninja, totally awesome, he has a great tutorial for making your own ammo belt whitch I used and am very happy with the result. Cape is an army half shelter you can buy for around $8 at an army navy supply store. Look around at shoe stores. Found a a pair of boots with the elastic down the sides. That scratch build cost me about $60 and turned out well. Patterson print squeegee for the shin tools $30. Go check out Woodman. Just got his Wookie braids, none can compare. Feel free to message me if I can help you in anyway. Welcome to TDH!

It has begun! Huge thanks to RKD for the amazingly quick turnaround time on the armor kit. Going to take my time and enjoy this over the next few months!

1 Armor.jpg

Good luck, I'm newish here to. The TDH will help as much as you want from parts to tips and tricks keep us posted on your progress [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back