New Voice Changer Option

Discussion in 'Boba Fett Costume' started by Jesuit24, Jan 14, 2018.

1. Jesuit24

Jesuit24 Jr Member

I've just seen a guy on Youtube reviewing the Boss VE-5 as a voice changer for Kylo Ren and it seems like with some tweaking, it would be a good option for Boba as well. I've never had any success with real time voice changing; there's always been a slight delay in every one I've used which has been enough to render it pointless. This one has potential. A bit pricey and you need an XLR microphone (still wondering if an XLR adapter would work), but the sheer amount of options this thing has means you could use it for any costume.

2. KenChan

KenChan Member

Seems like an interesting option

3. MrSWman

MrSWman Jr Member

That’s the best I’ve seen reviewed.

4. ThatRndmBounty

ThatRndmBounty Active Member

Wooow! Deff going to pick one up.

5. Artakha

Artakha (Formerly le1120)

I may have to snag one of these.

6. DeathProof

DeathProof Active Member

It's nice, and I can definitely see it work well for Kylo, but for Fett, there's no shame in the $30 aker amp and rasping your voice to save a few bucks :)

Brokk, TK50175 and bcurtis like this.
  7. Jesuit24

Jesuit24 Jr Member

I just can't keep the rasp up. I'll do it for five minutes at the start of a con and then completely forget for the rest of it so all you hear is my amicable geordie voice which is probably the farthest sounding voice from Fett.

ThatRndmBounty likes this.
  8. DeathProof

DeathProof Active Member

Where are you looking to put the devices to hide them?

9. ThatRndmBounty

If I get this I'll hide it in the jetpack. Also I'll use this for my kylo ren and other costumes I have.

10. DeathProof

DeathProof Active Member

The jetpack might be awkward as the voice will not only echo in the jetpack but also come from behind you.

I used to have the voice synth app setup and amp in my side pouches but I realized people thought it was weird having my sound come from the hip, and they couldn’t understand me.

I’ve now moved it to my front thigh pockets and it’s much better. If there is a way to have the sound move forward toward people you are speaking with, while keeping everything concealed, I could see it working.

11. ThatRndmBounty

oh i thought you meant the voice changer and not the speaker. Yeah the speaker I was planning on having it on the thigh pouch. I have used scrap pieces of ABS plastic and have made a box to house the Anker speaker. It's hidden and you cant tell its there but its awkwardly heavy.

12. DeathProof

DeathProof Active Member

How are you connecting the unit from the jetpack to the thigh pouch? Just run a cable around the inside of your flight suit?

You then have to run an XLR mic to your jetpack...hmmm. I’ve got a cheap wireless setup which is so nice not to worry about cables.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
  13. ThatRndmBounty

yeah just run everything through the flightsuit. No wires exposed. But idk haven't bought the thing. We shall see. If not I'll just stick with the anker and voice chnager app.

14. Chris4321

Chris4321 Jr Member

What wireless setup do you run?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01D...r+wireless&dpPl=1&dpID=51bEYLq2SuL&ref=plSrch

Is what I ended up buying. The Mic comes off from the headband and I just velcrod the mic into my helmet. The amp is a little bigger so I stick inside of my hip pouches. Though, 60$ wasn't exactly cheap I guess.

15. Jesuit24

Jesuit24 Jr Member

I've got a Memorex wireless transmitter and receiver which plugs into the Aker mic in my helmet. It's a bit bulky but it works well.

I've just bought a VE-5 off ebay so I'll have a play around with it when it comes and see what I can manage.

16. Gory

Gory Jr Member

V

Very interested in your experience, as it looks quite nice

17. Covafett

Covafett Member

Not to seem dense, but you have the mic in your helmet and the speaker in the hip pouch and don't have to run any wires? Cause that's what I'm looking for....

18. Chris4321

Chris4321 Jr Member

Yeah pretty much, the only issue that I have with it...is that it’s kind of sensitive...so don’t have the MIC right in your face. I usually put mine right where my helmet ends.

EDIT
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01D...r+wireless&dpPl=1&dpID=51bEYLq2SuL&ref=plSrch

Is the one I have, not the one originally posted. Which I edited out

Covafett and ThatRndmBounty like this.
  19. DeathProof

DeathProof Active Member

Covafett likes this.
  20. MrSWman

MrSWman Jr Member

This is the exact setup I use. I have my Aker in my jetpack, being a Jango, I have no pouches. It’s plenty loud and the echo from the jetpack gives it a cool effect.

21. hvacdon

hvacdon Member

I'll have to pick one of these up....

22. Jesuit24

Jesuit24 Jr Member

Here's what I've got for Boba:

#1:
    Pitch Correct
    > Type: Soft
    > Scale: Maj(Min)
    > Key: D
    > Gender: -1
    > Octave: -1oct
    Tone/SFX
    > Type: Radio

Pitch Correct
    > Gender: 0
    Tone/SFX
    > Type: Radio

Pitch Correct
    > Gender: -1
    Tone/SFX: Off

23. DeathProof

DeathProof Active Member

Radio On/No Pitch sounds pretty close, but still a little robotic. Cool though!

24. Gory

Gory Jr Member

Great demo!

25. Jesuit24

Jesuit24 Jr Member

It's the lowered octave that makes it sound robotic. Set it to 0 and it'll get rid of the it but it takes the gravel with it. I may play with the Distort SFX which is used in the Kylo setting to see if that can replicate a gravelly voice.

I'm not sure how long the batteries last. I accidentally left it on for an hour and came back to a low battery warning which worried me, but I bought it used so the batteries may have already had a lot of use.