NEW MR FETT HELMET PICS

I guess my question is...

What did you strip it with? And what did you have to do to the liner to get the ears off:)

FP, you totally and utterly... chronic:)

Well, I tested a couple of spots with a couple of different things to make sure that the resin coating wouldn't be eaten alive. Lacquer thinner and Acetone are your best bets. Neither damaged the outer coating, nor softened it, nor rubbed it off. I would recommend the lacquer thinner, as it doesn't evaporate as fast as acetone, you'll use less of it. But between the lacquer thinner fumes, and the STENCH of this MR bucket ... you'll be flying in no time. Do it in a ventilated space, because you're going to be there a while with as much paint as they glopped on this thing :facepalm It took me over an hour straight once I got started ! And I was moving FAST!

Another small note .. you will undoubtedly see a few areas that they used some body filler on. They are zinc chromate yellow. There were only 3 spots on mine. There may be more, or less on others. Luckily, they were just in areas that there was a possible air bubble or something. Very tiny spots. If you notice any large areas of this stuff, there may have been a warp or something, and when they apply the body filler and sand it, there is no telling how much of the original shape they altered. One of the many pitfalls that you may run into if you do this. So just an FYI so that you're all reasonably informed. When I wipe the primer off, I'll show you what I mean.

I want to make sure people see that although it's a very nasty casting (probably because it's mass produced), there were no inherent issues underneath the paint on my copy, and want to also illustrate that I'm not making any alterations that will affect the integrity of the original intended shape. In fact, when I make a mold of it, I'm going to do it as I did my FPH, so there will be no distortion or alteration at that stage either. When I'm done with this, I should have a copy that will be reasonably close to the proto. I would never say as good, or better. Because, it is still a recast in terms, of a helmet that saw some modifications after our brothers involvement. However, if it is done right, by someone who cares, and not some smo that's loking to produce them and make a buck, it should be the cat's meow for now :lol:

I guess my question is...

What did you strip it with? And what did you have to do to the liner to get the ears off:)

FP, you're totally and utterly... chronic:)

I KNOW !!! :lol:

The lining is glued in with some sort of toxic adhesive. When you remove it, the foam padding will most definitely rip to shreds unfortunately. You can save most of it, and chances are, if you want to put it back in there afterward, it won't be too noticeable. Otherwise, one could use it as a pattern to make another (which is what I'll probably do. I think, that what we are all smelling inside this thing is the adhesive. I wouldn't be surprised if we all get sick from this thing. I mean, it came from CHINA ! Isn't that where they just recalled a bunch of toys from because they were putting asbestos in there products ?!?!?! :angry I'd swear I smell formaldehyde in this thing !!!!

Mojo - just refresh it. Something weird is happening on my server right now. They are changing platforms, and I've been having this happen since they moved me to the new platform. But refreshing should take care of it.

FP

Last edited by a moderator:
Cheers bud.. got it!
Man that dent must have been caked in paint! the lines are so much more detailed than the 'in the box' version...

FP, so because there was sooo much paint on top of that thing...the weight has changed I'm sure, but has the size changed too??

Well, I was over exaggerating a little bit. But I would venture a guess, that is lost at LEAST a few ounces in weight with removing the gobs of paint. I wish I'd took pictures of that. I'd swear that in some areas there was upwards of 1/16 or more of paint build up :lol: That, is just uncalled for :angry

Overall size wise, that's a tough one. Dimensionally, here and there, in some places, sure thing. So I really can't answer that. What I do know is, most will uncover a trim line at the rear bottom that wasn't completely trimmed ... I noticed that line matches up perfectly with the MR proto that Art posted ;) So that will affect it a bit I think. But all in all, the ear areas at least, are still the same if that's what you mean.

Man that dent must have been caked in paint!

Embarrassingly so :facepalm If EFX revisits this helmet, they need to have this suggestion offered to them on a platter - "be carful who you outsource this to".

FP

FP~

When you start doing your mods to correct the visor issue could you please post some pics of this process? I am curious if you will need to take down the thickness of the inside brow to match the thickness of the mandibles so that the visor will sit flush. I am also curious if the lacquer thinner will take the paint off of the RF stalk?

Picked up a MR helmet from a local toy store today.

It's pretty awesome and man does it smell bad! :lol:
Signature Edition 353 of 750

Here are some pics.
boba%20fett%20mr%20box.jpg

master%20replica%20boba%20fett%20helmet.jpg

the last pic is kinda a photoshopped version of what the tapper on the lower visor might look like spread out a little.
boba%20fett%20master%20replica%20helmet.jpg

I almost forgot to mention something, of some importance I would think.

Since I didn't care about the paint finish (obviously, look what I did to mine :lol:) I noticed after a couple of days of handling it with my bare hands, that ALL of the silver areas turned LEAD !!! Never to be bright again !

So be careful with these people, the silver areas have NOT been sealed !!! :eek: You'll end up repainting those areas in no time if you handle it too much !

FP

I almost forgot to mention something, of some importance I would think.

Since I didn't care about the paint finish (obviously, look what I did to mine :lol:) I noticed after a couple of days of handling it with my bare hands, that ALL of the silver areas turned LEAD !!! Never to be bright again !

So be careful with these people, the silver areas have NOT been sealed !!! :eek: You'll end up repainting those areas in no time if you handle it too much !

FP

WOW, that kinda would suck, lead poisoning...:(...good info.

NOW CLEAN OUT YOUR PM BOX!!.. :lol:

(y)

I have an LE Helmet and I don't think MR should have sold these with the mess up T-visor. I have my Helmet on display....... every day I think about gutting it out and fixing it. I'm just worried about cracking it when I straightin out thr mandibles.

This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back