New member build

Dyne Reardon

New Hunter
I have been researching building a complete ROTJ set. I reached out to Bobamaker but I understand his current wait time is 28 months and my timeframe is more like 12 months. I have basically no ability to sew or paint so I am looking at purchasing the entire set. some quick napkin math put this at around $3k. does that sound right? is 12 months a realistic timeframe for this? hoping for quality sufficient for the 501st.

If you're paying for pieces and also commissions to get things painted then you need to up your budget. I'd keep an eye on the Cargo Hold for people parting out suits so you can acquire as many finished pieces as possible.

I did all my own painting and assembly, besides the jetpack, and spent about $3600. That doesn't include supplies, which I probably spent another $300 between paint, sandpaper, etc. I would think having the jetpack, gaunts, armor, and helmet all painted will have you looking at close to $6000 total.

Also, if you are paying folks to paint, it is also going to take a significantly longer time. It took me 6 months to paint everything, and I was only working on my own stuff. With commissions, you have to factor in that these folks are probably doing multiple commissions, all on their own time (most have a day job). So there will be a wait list, plus the time it takes to actually do the painting, plus shipping. 12 months is pushing it. It took me 9 months from start to finish and I bought a lot of my stuff secondhand. If you are buying new casts or pieces, the wait could be even longer. Sidearm, holster, and rifle tend to be up there. It took me about 8 months to get my fully painted and assembled jetpack.

To keep your costs and "time to market" as low as possible, you don't need to know how to sew, but I would definitely look into doing your own painting. I had literally never picked up an airbrush or even a paint brush before I started. If you get a good airbrush and don't cheap out like I did, and you really dig into some paint-up threads and look at the stencils, it isn't too bad. ROTJ especially is a little easier than ESB, at least the helmet. The jetpack is a bear. There really isn't a lot of "artistic skill" required, just patience and attention to detail. I'm an engineer by trade and I tend to do things specifically because I know I don't know how to do them, so your mileage may vary :D

Either way, good luck on your build, and may the force be with you!!

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back