Necronaut’s S2 Mandalorian Build


Necronaut

Hunter
Long time, no see everyone! I thought I’d keep a record of my progress on this build here. I’ve been printing parts for the costume for about the last 2 weeks on my home printer (PrusaMk3) and on a big Snapmaker A350 printer at work.
4B53A6AE-AD98-47FF-B78A-10DD9C57F92A.jpeg


I’m taking a finishing cue from BKBT’s build where he used epoxy as a print line filler & part finisher.
44743220-6E97-4F23-B622-4E687EAE5DC0.jpeg


goal is to be finished for the next big comic & pop culture convention here (Oct. 2021). Maybe by then we’ll have a S2 Din CRL for the 501st?
 

Necronaut

Hunter
Well, would you look at that... Thanks for the heads up, sandtrooper8867! I think with a swap out of a few items I could do a s1 Beskar suit if I wanted.
 

Necronaut

Hunter
No pics yet. But I am plugging away at the filling and sanding of print lines in the beskar armor parts. The only Stuff I have at home right now is my left gauntlet and the gunsight parts for the Amban sniper rifle:
image.jpg

Pencil marks are areas where I still have print lines showing.

Helmet is on its last round of sanding and filler primer. Beskar chest and abs are moving from resin epoxy filler to filler primer and fine sanding. Shoulders need to be reprinted as they are too big. Right gauntlet is currently printing as I type this.

Hand covers and hip covers are finished and painted. Knee and shore trooper shin just got their second coat of resin epoxy as their print line filler.
I want to get all the non-beskar parts fully painted. I am going to clear coat everything all at once with special and fancy rattle can 2K matte clear protective finish. Then they need to be weathered.

I also got this shipment of machined aluminum from ThinkBox Mfg on Etsy, on BKBT’s recommendation. I’m hoping they will also do the rectangular bandolier buckle that the sniper rifle sling clips onto. (And maybe a beskar spear? Or some beskar ingots? And maybe the demolition charge belt holster? )
image.jpg

To finish off, I’m looking into doing the leather work myself, to learn a new skill. I have a nice sewing machine, but I thought I’d try to hand stitch a bunch of the belt, bandolier, leather wraps, shin bandolier, and sidearm holster.
 

Necronaut

Hunter
Here’s a link to ThinkBox on Etsy. They are making a bunch of aluminum Mando parts (Din, Jango).
https://etsy.me/38TxElW

One last thing: it’s no secret that the production Beskar was painted with Alumaluster, which is pretty cool but pretty pricey. An Etsy seller markets Duralumen, which is a very similar product for far cheaper. I’ve seen lots of examples of this product on other peoples beskar, and it looks every bit the part of Alumaluster. I ordered a couple bottles, and they are in the mail.
https://etsy.me/2M2zqYB
 

Necronaut

Hunter
Thanks for the sling buckle suggestion, Malibu139. I do hear that ThinkBox Mfg is working on this part as well.

I think I am going to reprint everything...
1. I used PLA as it was what I had on hand. Not very sandable. I’m going to use PETG instead.
2. While my later applications of epoxy resin as print line filler are going great, my first ones kind of ruined some of my prints: chest, shoulders, gauntlets.
499F4A62-D5FA-48D2-B295-B9DE1D4919F3.jpeg

3. This helmet was a pretty bad print. There are huge gaps where the nozzle under extruded all over the helmet. I’m concerned that it won’t take a hit or drop without breaking. Best leave it as a practice or display helmet that I can experiment with. I sprayed it down with some Duplicolor flat black, then emptied a can of Mr Hobby Super Clear Gloss onto it.
My Duralumen should be here in the next day or two. I may try it on this, but I want to save enough for all of my reprints. I do have some Alclad Dark Steel that I can use instead, given its now a display helmet.
 

Necronaut

Hunter
Just putting this here...
508EBD94-5097-4538-A204-654C90BE3C42.jpeg

I have just a few finishing touches on this before I reprint this for my actual costume. I have learned a lot about 2K finishes, what to do and not to do to accelerate the curing of paint on a 3D printed part (all the rippling on the Mohawk crest), and how work With a metallic lacquer.
I was using Galactic Armory files for lots of parts, but I have switched some of the more complicated pieces for Great Ape files (helmet, gauntlets, chest).
FF7290EB-75D2-4C2A-84A4-7991A058C352.jpeg

DC5EC021-E52F-48C8-946A-AC7790E50257.jpeg

These are some of my finished non-beskar parts and some in-progress parts. The other helmet is one that one of my shop students is working on.
 
Top