Jet Pack My smoking jetpack with sound - vid and pics

bassplayer82

Jr Hunter
Hey guys!

Inspired by other people on this forum I decided to try making my MoW jetpack (which replaced my scratch built jetpack that served me well) smoke with some sound!

Here is the vid :)

The smoke is generated from a 12v hobby smoke machine connected to a 3S 2200mah lipo. The thrusters were drilled out to make room for some 8mm and 10mm plastic tubing that is connected to a T connector at the smoke machine. A dual speaker set that can be charged via USB was then mounted that can be controlled with a small MP3/SD card player remotely (Jet idle sound).

12193676_10153625335196138_5455414747364800063_n.jpg Jetpack Schematic v0.1.JPG12195893_10153634780696138_8816539937194331739_n.jpg12227087_10153634780661138_1039182601972440645_n.jpg12191496_10153637834401138_5149541461653422081_n.jpg

I am going to be installing a mini temp gauge (for the smoke machine incase it runs hot). 15ml of smoke fluid should last me a entire troop if I am not switching the smoke on all the time. This is still a work in progress (as seems to be the entire costume sometimes)!

Any questions feel free to ask.

12191494_10153785971700774_989302803140726214_n.jpg

James

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey man!

REALLY cool :)

Do you happen to have a parts list? Particularly the 'hobby smoke machine?' Link?

Also interested in how you control it. While I like my setup, I find that it can generate too much smoke too quickly - which really doesn't work at all for inside troops. I like the idea of idling smoke drifting out. It's not as thick, but it's constantly on. The main issue I'm finding with this is that because mine pumps out so much smoke, I worry too much about it. I'd prefer to just have something on and forget about it, or at least not be as concerned.

You say it's good for a whole troop. How much smoke time per troop? I get 4 minutes total, which is why I break it up into bursts.

Cheers,
Aaron

Hey man!

REALLY cool :)

Do you happen to have a parts list? Particularly the 'hobby smoke machine?' Link?

Also interested in how you control it. While I like my setup, I find that it can generate too much smoke too quickly - which really doesn't work at all for inside troops. I like the idea of idling smoke drifting out. It's not as thick, but it's constantly on. The main issue I'm finding with this is that because mine pumps out so much smoke, I worry too much about it. I'd prefer to just have something on and forget about it, or at least not be as concerned.

You say it's good for a whole troop. How much smoke time per troop? I get 4 minutes total, which is why I break it up into bursts.

Cheers,
Aaron

Hey Aaron,

Here is the link for the smoke machine Super Smoker RC Model Boat Tank Train Truck Drift CAR Construction 6 12 Volt | eBay

Currently I am running it through a switch on the bottom of the jetpack however I have installed toggles in my right gauntlet that I will be using to switch it on and off. So far running it on 15 - 20ml of fluid gives me a lot of smoke as I have been testing it out today, enough to keep it on "idle" lol.

I have mounted the battery above the smoke machine in its own cradle now with velcro straps and have the smoke machine on galvanised metal plates as it heats up pretty quickly. Temp gauge will come in handy just to monitor it, but it has a automatic cut off at 90c!!!

Hope that helps!

James

Very cool! Glad to see someone else uses the PVC bar to connect the thrusters in their MOW pack :p

I tried to do something similar using an ecig but the smoke wasn't the same volume as it looks like you're getting. 90C seems really hot to have on your back in a resin jetpack though.

Can you provide some info on the speaker and player system?

thats awesome! Like it alot! Now you got me thinking of doing something like this. It adds a great level of realism especially with the sound. im already planning on adding sound to mine. I was going to add the "fett sound" that you hear in the cockpit of the slave one...but the idle jet sound works way better. Is there an MP3 file i could download for that?

Again, great stuff brother!

Hey James,

Thanks for the info!

My smoke unit currently runs on a 5s Lipo pack. I imagine all of these devices work in a similar fashion.

I'm thinking that if I decrease the power (from a 5s to a 3s or 2s even) then the smoke output will decrease and the time frame will increase. My unit does not have an issue with heating up - it's pretty well sealed. I do like the idea of the safety switch though. There is also a control box on my unit where I can control the fan speed. I'm thinking the slower the fan, the less smoke.

Can you give me an estimate of total continuous smoke time in minutes for 15-20ml? If i'm going to modify my unit, I want to see if it will be worth it.

Hey WTFett, yeah the PVC bar was perfect along with some joiners for the thrusters! Since it seems to run hot after 5 mins or so I will just be switching the thing off, im paranoid about melting my JetPack but I have the smoker sitting on galvanised steel plates about 1.5mm thick.

Here is the speaker that I mounted inside the jetpack, It can take a Micro SD card but I have a small MicroSD MP3 plater via a long mini USB cable to play the audio. Mini MicroSD Card Speaker | Speakers | MP3/iPod Accessories | Sight & Sound Personal | PRODUCTS | XC5176 | Jaycar Electronics

Hope this helps !

- - - Updated - - -

thats awesome! Like it alot! Now you got me thinking of doing something like this. It adds a great level of realism especially with the sound. im already planning on adding sound to mine. I was going to add the "fett sound" that you hear in the cockpit of the slave one...but the idle jet sound works way better. Is there an MP3 file i could download for that?

Again, great stuff brother!

Hey thanks man! Yeah when I tested it out I figured just a idle jet sound would be suitable which I could switch on and off at troops as needed, figured my XO and CO would get a kick out of it haha

I grabbed this from youtube and put it onto a micro SD card as a MP3 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rr1h5EPsY_Q

Hope that helps, Im going to do up a small schematic today at some stage when I get a chance (at work).

James

- - - Updated - - -

Hey James,

Thanks for the info!

My smoke unit currently runs on a 5s Lipo pack. I imagine all of these devices work in a similar fashion.

I'm thinking that if I decrease the power (from a 5s to a 3s or 2s even) then the smoke output will decrease and the time frame will increase. My unit does not have an issue with heating up - it's pretty well sealed. I do like the idea of the safety switch though. There is also a control box on my unit where I can control the fan speed. I'm thinking the slower the fan, the less smoke.

Can you give me an estimate of total continuous smoke time in minutes for 15-20ml? If i'm going to modify my unit, I want to see if it will be worth it.

Hey DeathProof,

I will be running a trial later on in a week or so when I get the brass manifold for the Smoker as currently I have a plastic T piece running into the smoker (which is ok but I think a brass / metal T piece will resist more heat just in case).

I will Put up the results along with a small video on youtube that ill link here !

James

I'm just amazed at some of the awesomeness that I keep seeing on these threads! At some point, I think that this is going to become one of those Have-To-Have-It type of things once I have my build up and running. Thanks for sharing!

hey mate, sorry been interstate for work. I just finished putting in my brass manifold this weekend, havent run a test on it yet sorry. I put about 10 ml in there a while a go and it seems to have lasted for approx 15 - 25 mins. Hope that helps cheers.

12342314_10153692397746138_4132898297649690926_n.jpg12341038_10153692397616138_2533892528565346302_n.jpg12391310_10153692397661138_499645130796915856_n.jpg

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back