My Second Helmet Paint


Sr Hunter
I painted my first helmet veeeeery quickly. I needed it for an event, and so I didn't have a lot of time to work on it. I've mentioned before what a piece of @%%^! it was, so I'll skip that rant this time.

But, waiting off to the side was the helmet I got from Fettspride very early on in my Boba project. Some of you might remember this coming up in the cargo hold:


Well, a bit of painting later, it now looks like this:


And a couple of detail shots:



Between #1 and #2, I definitely learned a lot about using the layered painting method, particularly regarding how the paint behaves at different levels of dryness.

I found that letting the silver base cure fully, masking, then letting the other layers dry, but only for a few hours left the top layers pretty easy to scratch / peel / etc... Once the paint had been dry for a couple of days, it became much harder to scratch it off.

I'm sure I'll have paint job #3 at some point, and that it will come out better still. I'm pretty happy with the improvement from the first to this one!

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

  1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.