My first WIP post.. ESB bucket! :D

Most of the changes are reffering to a more detailed scratch scheme, while portions were removed (especially the light gray and some fine scratches) or corrected. As I said, I redo it from zero, not because the actual stencils are not good, but because it's not perfect and for me it was easier (a complex operation described with too much ease) to do it all over again.

First time? HOLY ****!!!

That is one awesome paintjob! Congrats! I also like the Rustoleum Spruce Green you used. I think I used that on my first helmet (Bradley Fett ABS helmet). I will look into that color when I repaint. Anyway... Great job!!!

First time? HOLY ****!!!

That is one awesome paintjob! Congrats! I also like the Rustoleum Spruce Green you used. I think I used that on my first helmet (Bradley Fett ABS helmet). I will look into that color when I repaint. Anyway... Great job!!!

Thanks a LOT clonecollector! another veteran fett post! :D:D:D

What do you guys think? The Rust Spruce green is a pretty close match out of the box right? Thanks to aff0$ paint list!

Wow, spray can? I was beginning to think I'd have to buy an airbrush just to get a decent fett bucket, thx for proving me wrong Luis. Everybody uses stencils? I saw somebody use liquid masking agent, in... here: http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/f23/...int-up-awesome-bghunter-lid-43353/#post560355

I think I like the liquid way more, using it as a stencil looks pretty smart, not the newest member but first time I ever heard of liquid masking fluid, props to Jayvee, probably going to do mine like this, but anybody wanna enlighten me on exactly how they went about using their stencils? I know Rafal probably has most accurate around now, he updated them a little while ago didn't he? I saw something about him doing entire new work with them, to update the scratches and such...

Anyway, good job Luis, your bucket looks phenomenal.

Wow, spray can? I was beginning to think I'd have to buy an airbrush just to get a decent fett bucket, thx for proving me wrong Luis. Everybody uses stencils? I saw somebody use liquid masking agent, in... here: http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/f23/...int-up-awesome-bghunter-lid-43353/#post560355

I think I like the liquid way more, using it as a stencil looks pretty smart, not the newest member but first time I ever heard of liquid masking fluid, props to Jayvee, probably going to do mine like this, but anybody wanna enlighten me on exactly how they went about using their stencils? I know Rafal probably has most accurate around now, he updated them a little while ago didn't he? I saw something about him doing entire new work with them, to update the scratches and such...

Anyway, good job Luis, your bucket looks phenomenal.

I already replaced the ESB stencils (except the dome, but this will follow) with a better and more accurate version.
The stencils are used with the color separation files printed and fixed by you to fit your helmet's dimensions (you might print a file several times but not before resize it). After printing the file, you can trace its contour with carbon paper (or something similar), then fill the areas inside the contour with masking fluid and apply the next color. I'm not sure and please correct me, but you must remove the masking fluid before the paint totally dry or you will peel off portions you don't want to.

I already replaced the ESB stencils (except the dome, but this will follow) with a better and more accurate version.
The stencils are used with the color separation files printed and fixed by you to fit your helmet's dimensions (you might print a file several times but not before resize it). After printing the file, you can trace its contour with carbon paper (or something similar), then fill the areas inside the contour with masking fluid and apply the next color. I'm not sure and please correct me, but you must remove the masking fluid before the paint totally dry or you will peel off portions you don't want to.

Well that last part was EXACTLY what I wanted to avoid, thanks for the info Rafal. :)

It will depend on the paint you are using - The humbrol and floquil enamels are very resiliant, and while I was waiting for an order of paints, I left humbrol maskol on for over a week, and when the time was right, it peeled off as clean as a whistle. How spray paints or acyrilics would act in the same conditions, Im not sure however. But the Raf man is spot on - stencil the damage on to the lid using graphite paper, liquid mask out those areas, spray your next colour and so on.. apologies to derail your thread Luis, really do love your sweet paint job! :)

No worries! Its great that I helped out on those who want to use a spray can. I just went for lighter misting as to heavy coats. That way even if the paint dries, its easy to remove the mask since its just a thin layer of paint.

Surprisingly even if i used thin multiple coats the paint hardens very well. No lifting at all when i mask.

spraypaint can be done but theres no real mixing a custom color....so it took a bit of a group effort to figure out what works, also its alot thicker than an airbrush which can be good and bad...unmasking thick paint can make paint come off in big splotches that arent supposed to come up....so its not perfect by any means...but start small and go from there

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back