Medieval Spangenhelm to Buy'ce Conversion

Kire

New Hunter
Su'cuy, howdy, greetings, etc. Long time reader, first time poster.

I recently went on a medieval armor kick and started purchasing armor piece-by-piece. And I once I came to the point of buying a helmet, my long-standing inner Fett fan saw one and thought:

"...That would be so easy to turn into a Mandalorian helmet."

So naturally I bought it. And then I thought, "Where's the best place to ask about making Fett helmets" before immediately telling myself that was a stupid question because every mando'ad knows that thedentedhelmet is the authority on these things.

Here's a picture of the helmet I bought:

$_57.jpg

It's mild steel, and there are obviously some hurdles to cross, but does anyone have any tips on where to start? I've got a Dremel and a will to use it, but I don't want to just start cutting without knowing what dimensions to use, or what to do with the excess metal. I want it to look good, not like a hatchet job.

It's obvious that it starts out too tall, so I'm thinking it would be best to cut the top of the cylindrical portion shorter and then re-rivet it to the dome, and then cut out the T-visor. I just need to know how short to make it. Then I can maybe start on the finer points, like altering the cheekbone areas to be more buy'ce-like and perhaps disguising the rivets so they don't show up anymore (though they do add something of a rustic quality I can appreciate).

So... thoughts? Advice? Questions, comments, insertions, deletions, addendums?

Last edited by a moderator:
...Because apparently everyone here's too cool to talk to the noob, I forged on ahead and started cutting, based on the measurements from RafalFett's V2 template (Thank you SO much for including actual measurements with your template, by the way - I had fits finding any templates that did so), adjusted for slight differences in circumference at the crown; my helmet's about 4% bigger.

I went ahead and started cutting from the bottom instead of the top, partially because my riveting tool hasn't arrived yet and partially because the old eyeholes will be easier to cover up if they're high on the cheeks, since I'll have to put material on there later anyway for the proper look. I've still got the extra steel from the cut-out T-slot and the inch and a half or so ring of excess from the bottom of the helmet, which I can probably put to that purpose. If it's not enough material, I can probably find small sheets of 18gauge steel from the hardware store.

This is how it looks so far:

2014-09-30 14.42.33.jpg

And for a bonus, I threw my armor on, had someone take a picture, worked a little photomanipulative magic on it, and...

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd....4_10152337378591681_5806847804715307465_o.jpg

Voila'. Mandalorian "Crusader."

LOL...dude, no one here has ever given me the impression that they're "tool cool to talk to a noob"...just the opposite, everyone is most helpful and informative!!!

Ya just gotta understand they're all wrapped up in their own lives!!! People will post...I myself may just jump in to look @ new posts, and research older ones...but I saw your thread yesterday...and I really love what you've done!!! I think you should keep going and transform it further into THE KING of BOUNTY HUNTERS!!!

I was just being facetious, man, don't sweat it. I wasn't actually bothered that no one had replied yet.

Glad you like what I've done with it, though. Hopefully by the time it's finished it'll look a lot better.

I was just looking at it and thought crusader/neo-crusader. Might also be kinda cool as a steampunk Mando for a renaissance fair or the like. I have yet to do a build so I can't really be of any actual help. Best of luck! Looks cool so far.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back