Looking to build a Mandalorian (Gunslinger Version) for a YouTube series

AscenderFord

New Hunter
Hey everyone! We're in the pre-production stages of doing a five part Mandalorian companion series set to film in early November.

I'm looking for some advice on a budget Mando build or any spare bits of Mandalorian gear I could possibly buy from any of you awesome people.

We have like $1000 budget for the whole series.

I was thinking a foam or sinter build but honestly I'm not sure if that would look all that great on camera.

Hey everyone! We're in the pre-production stages of doing a five part Mandalorian companion series set to film in early November.

I'm looking for some advice on a budget Mando build or any spare bits of Mandalorian gear I could possibly buy from any of you awesome people.

We have like $1000 budget for the whole series.

I was thinking a foam or sinter build but honestly I'm not sure if that would look all that great on camera.
Welcome, first of all :)

Well,... Your question is a difficult one to answer and leaves quite a boatload of problems. Since your undertaking will inevitably conserv your costume efforts on (digital) film, you really really want it to look good and not regret not having spent more effort on it later on.

At the same time... 1000 bucks for the whole series is not going to get you far. Din Djarin is cheaper to make, then a Boba, thats for sure, but you will likely not get a very good representation of the charackter for that little money (I know its a lot of cash. Comparatively speaking.) unless you are an amazing craftsman and can build most of it from scratch.

Normally I would have sent you around looking at other build threads but I have a different idea... Depending on where your location is... Think about hiring someone with a finished costume.

Most of our stuff if shot with no budget so this is actually quite a bit more than we normally have, I plan on building most of it from scratch, luckily I have a lot of cosplay build experience and a 3D printer.
Thats GOOD to know! With that background and equipment, it will be much much more realistic to get that done on budget.

I see you have already found the thread about Pausas helmet, so no need to further point you in that direction.

This here build thread was fairly budget- concious, if I remember correctly:

Thats GOOD to know! With that background and equipment, it will be much much more realistic to get that done on budget.

I see you have already found the thread about Pausas helmet, so no need to further point you in that direction.

This here build thread was fairly budget- concious, if I remember correctly:
Groovy dude I appreciate it

Yep. All solid info there from Ram. If the entire budget for the film is $1,000, you should be ok. The costs for building Mandos can get pricey unless you try to do everything yourself. I would bet you could budget build for at least under $300 with having access to a 3-D printer.

100% use sintra or ABS plastic though for the armor pieces. Foam generally just doesn't look right when turned into Star Wars armor.

On a side note, you could always try and find a local person that potentially has made the kit already to save on cost. There have been quite a few finished builds now ever since the show came out so you may get lucky and have a guy nearby.

Groovy dude I appreciate it
Yup, good input from Mythos Fenn . Avoid foam.

Also right about a lot of finished builds being done already. Especially probably in the area where you are at. So you might be lucky. Try to look thorugh the Mando builds here and where they are from or contact your local 501st establishment, if you decide on going down that route.

If you decide go build a suit yourself, armor 3D print data should probably be available online, like Pausas helmet, which looks spot on to me.
For the other parts of the costume, check out this YouTube channel: armor is aluminum, but the rest should apply, like soft parts, weathering, the gadgets, etc.

Also, be sure to use the correct alumaluster paint you you go for plastic armor. The paint makes or breaks the Mando costume.
I do remember a guy getting his helmet professionally repainted with alumaluster and it having been worth it. I wasnt able to find that post anymore though. I think he was even Southern Cali based.

More soft budget and soft parts threads:

Mike M. (who commented extensively on that thread) is one of THE soft parts guys for Boba. His opinion can be trusted, I think.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back