Licensed Boba Fett helm market value - Master Replicas vs EFX

jhfagan

Active Hunter
Old news maybe, but why am I seeing such ridiculously high aftermarket prices for the MR Fett helms, when, other than the MR fiberglass construction, the EFX Fett is a much more accurate and better looking piece?
The completist in me wants to fill in my Fett history with the MR piece, but desperately need to save $$$ to order an RS lineage Fett later this year.
I can't justify spending the $2K+ prices I'm seeing for the MRs.
Does anyone have both, and do a quality side by side shot comparion of them?

Old news maybe, but why am I seeing such ridiculously high aftermarket prices for the MR Fett helms, when, other than the MR fiberglass construction, the EFX Fett is a much more accurate and better looking piece?
The completist in me wants to fill in my Fett history with the MR piece, but desperately need to save $$$ to order an RS lineage Fett later this year.
I can't justify spending the $2K+ prices I'm seeing for the MRs.
Does anyone have both, and do a quality side by side shot comparion of them?
Interesting question indeed!
Well, I wouldnt say that the EFX is better looking. It is more accurate for sure. But in my humble opinion not better looking.
I of course need to disclaim that I havent handeled one, though the reasons for my assesment make it likely that handeling it would only strengthen my opinion on that.
In all the photos and videos I have seen, it always struck me as looking plasticy. Not to mention the gaps between molded pieces.
That said, for the price it originally sold for, its still very very good.

Collectors love fully licensed and numbered collectibles. Master Replica pieces have exploded in value in the last few years. That's the main driver of the value for the Fett helmet. Even other eFx items and helmets value is sky high. I wouldn't be surprised if the value of the 40th anniversary helmet climbs in value in a few months after.

I think most Fett fans who want something that's accurate to what we see on screen tend to stay away from it because it's the PP3 and not the actual hero.

I've got the MR Fett helmet on my Boba Fett costume on a mannequin (got it for a relatively inexpensive price about 10+ years ago). It's a beautiful helmet but, as others have said, the movie inaccuracies are obvious (the visor pinch is the biggest offender). I'm thinking about "upgrading" to an EFX helmet but not sure if it's worth the $400, especially if it looks like cheap plastic. The MR Fett helmet feels sturdy and heavy, and looks "real" (inaccuracies notwithstanding).

I've got the MR Fett helmet on my Boba Fett costume on a mannequin (got it for a relatively inexpensive price about 10+ years ago). It's a beautiful helmet but, as others have said, the movie inaccuracies are obvious (the visor pinch is the biggest offender). I'm thinking about "upgrading" to an EFX helmet but not sure if it's worth the $400, especially if it looks like cheap plastic. The MR Fett helmet feels sturdy and heavy, and looks "real" (inaccuracies notwithstanding).
I have the EFX, and it looks fantastic to me, but I think the paint job needed a bit more finishing ( weathering) to kind of hide the straight plastic look some of it has, but I genuinely love the piece, and the paint job that it has, although not complete, is dead on accurate. That said, I also recently ( 5 months ago) picked up a Don Post Deluxe Fett from '96, ( a life long holy grail find for me! ) and while notoriously inaccurate, it LOOKS tons more real than the EFX!
My Hasbro Black Series Fett I restored to ROTJ paint job has that same thing, that even though I wasn't 100% accurate with my paint job, it was close enough, and the whole thing was painted over, so no straight on plastic is visible, making it look more "real".

I recall seeing the Don Post Deluxe Boba Fett helmet on display at a comic book store at a Long Island mall back in 1996. It was on a high shelf behind the cashier. No one could touch it. It was the end-all/be-all of Boba Fett collectibles, the ultimate SW trophy (to me, at least). Several months later, I splurged $100 on a DP 1995 Fett Halloween helmet. And that's when the SW costume/collecting bug hit...

Anyway, congrats on getting the DP Deluxe Fett helmet. I'm sure it's a beauty!

I recall seeing the Don Post Deluxe Boba Fett helmet on display at a comic book store at a Long Island mall back in 1996. It was on a high shelf behind the cashier. No one could touch it. It was the end-all/be-all of Boba Fett collectibles, the ultimate SW trophy (to me, at least). Several months later, I splurged $100 on a DP 1995 Fett Halloween helmet. And that's when the SW costume/collecting bug hit...

Anyway, congrats on getting the DP Deluxe Fett helmet. I'm sure it's a beauty!
I was surprised how deep the paint colors looked on it, especially after 25 years old.
The seller kept it pristine, thankfully.
20200905_173503.jpg20200905_173525.jpg20200905_173550.jpg20200905_173619.jpg20200905_173638.jpg20200905_173700.jpg

I do think the efx does hold great value for price and appearance and well worth the $400.

Here’s it on my mannequin:
That's tight, man.
See, the EFX rules in that scenario, and pretty much anytime you're more than 5 feet from it, and not aware of it's "flaws".
I know I've said this before on here, but still often wondered, why when EFX had that unprecedented access to the original helmet, and all the other information and resources, that they still couldn't render a complete screen accurate ESB paintjob on it, is mind boggling.
That's really the ONLY thing preventing me from jumping on the RS Fett, is the condition of the ESB screen helmet physically prevents film accuracy, unless extensive reverse engineering work is done on the helmet to fix the damages, and remove the added paint and scuffs. etc., that is NOT on-screen ESB.
Even if I only got the raw casting from them ( which I may still, just to have a physical helm that is that accurate to the real current prop) and intended to have one of you masters here on the site paint it up ESB screen, the physical elements and changes to ESB screen accuracy remain.
So to me, regardless of any other complaint, the EFX is the most ESB screen accurate production piece out there right now.

Lucas has final approval and from what I understand limits companies from producing 100% accurate items.

Lucas has final approval and from what I understand limits companies from producing 100% accurate items.
Any idea, why that is? To me it makes no sense. Not in times when there are 99.9% accurate fanmade versions widely available.

Honestly though, I dont think it matters if the allow 100% accuracy to be offered officially or not. Getting the paintjob THAT accurate is cost-prohibitive for a company. Its gotta be able to be mass manufactured. So its gotta be simplified.

I do think the efx does hold great value for price and appearance and well worth the $400.

Here’s it on my mannequin:
I think my favorite thing about this costume is the upside down knee armor, like it was in the carbon freezing scene. Now that's attention to detail...

Since we're sharing costume pics, here is a photo of the MR Fett helmet on my mannequin. I realize my costume is not 100% screen accurate to ESB or ROTJ but it "feels" accurate. Plus, I built and painted the armor myself (hello Sintra and Rustoleum spray paint) so that's what makes it extra special to me.

Scratch Fett.png

I had an MR I bought when they first came out. I fixed the pinch and added weathering and it looked decent. It's a nice helmet. I can't compare it to the EFX, but - wow - I can't imagine paying $2k for it either, MIB or otherwise. No way.

I had an MR I bought when they first came out. I fixed the pinch and added weathering and it looked decent. It's a nice helmet. I can't compare it to the EFX, but - wow - I can't imagine paying $2k for it either, MIB or otherwise. No way.
The worlds of screen accuracy and of collectibles usually are apart :)
I for my part couldnt imagine spending thousands of dollars on a mediocre action figure that looks not a bit realisitc.^^

Ive been trying to put into words my thoughts on this. And I am by no way being biased by helping with the EFX helmet.

The MR helmet for what it is and when it came out and the timelines they had is fantastic. $2k is a bit steep for some people. HOWEVER, its a licensed product that is/was limited in production and will only go UP in value. As far as an investment, its the way to go. PERIOD, if EFX makes the Legend.... it will surpass the MR in that regard. It is based on the ESB helmet after all. The EFX PCR, while its a super nice piece, theyre still making them, not in limited quantities so from a collectors point of view I would say that it might not ever be as valuable as an MR. Maybe the Chrome version will. But the normal ones, I dont see it happening. If you just want something for the shelf get the EFX, your friends will be very envious... unless they hang out here then you and them can pick it apart, lol.

Ive been trying to put into words my thoughts on this. And I am by no way being biased by helping with the EFX helmet.

The MR helmet for what it is and when it came out and the timelines they had is fantastic. $2k is a bit steep for some people. HOWEVER, its a licensed product that is/was limited in production and will only go UP in value. As far as an investment, its the way to go. PERIOD, if EFX makes the Legend.... it will surpass the MR in that regard. It is based on the ESB helmet after all. The EFX PCR, while its a super nice piece, theyre still making them, not in limited quantities so from a collectors point of view I would say that it might not ever be as valuable as an MR. Maybe the Chrome version will. But the normal ones, I dont see it happening. If you just want something for the shelf get the EFX, your friends will be very envious... unless they hang out here then you and them can pick it apart, lol.
A "Legend" version is the only thing EFX can do to separate themselves from other companies who now also possess the same 1st gen casting they originally made. And make it proper ESB instead of SE.
That, I'd buy.

I watched jhfagan fix/repair his '95 DP last year and was very impressed and inspired with his outcoume. As some of you know I finished my ROTJ journey (at least my phase 1). At the beginning, I wanted to convert my '95 DP that my girlfriend (now my wife) got for me Christmas of '95 and do a budget build - $1500. Well, like many of you I fell off that budget bandwagon and decided to go all out! I'm now in the neighborhood of about $5200 on this hobby so far - yep, still upgrading. There were simply way too many cool and awesome things out there on the market that I couldn't say "No" to. Before I hacked up my '95 DP, it also was in pristine condition. It's funny, some of the things you don't realize had value that you now hacked apart. My mission now is to finish the bucket with a decent paintjob and maybe even upgrade on it a bit.
Don Post 1.jpg

Don Post 2.jpg

Don Post 3.jpg

Don Post 4.jpg

I just hope I can do it some justice.

-Iron

....But yeah, $2K would be a bit too steep for me too. Even for knowing how much I've spent on this already - hehehe!

This thread is more than 2 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back