Let's talk about flare. This is it.

Maybe ask toeleven about the dent. I'm really liking what he did there.

Thanks, I'll post some pics of the tools and various methods I used over on my WIP thread this evening. It was mainly eyeballing and detail sanding. You really have to study ALL of the helmet dent photos to get a feel for what is going on there. Heck I even studied the FPH2 to see what his take on it was...IMO its the GMH with the crevices sanded in a little bit more. I basically ran them all side by side in a photo app and worked from that.

Just to chime in here about scratch building the dent, something I've done is 3D printing the dent and then smoothing it out (removing the striations) with some filler and sanding. If you got it printed from Shapeways that would be a different story...
Here's the dent so far.
Screenshot 2016-01-29 20.57.58.png
Obviously I still need to work on removing the striations a bit more, but my question is whether the details are lacking enough crispness already. Should I try redoing it? I'm mainly concerned because this is a helmet I'm considering casting and selling. I know you guys have a fantastic eye so I'm just looking for some feedback (sorry if I am hijacking the thread!)

@Wasteland this thread is the specific one I was writing of but I've seen the same experiment plenty of other places.

The thread itself was very entertaining and Keegan put a great piece of info up there somewhere in a small table (although I believe he was wrong about the CTM mould).

Funnily enough I was able to match his measurements of the PP2 to the buck. I measured it width ways as 236 (or possibly 239 but I'm leaning to 236) and 267 back to front; I just remember that one measurements was spot on and one was slightly out. I couldn't accurately give the mandible measurements because the buck has damage as we know but if it weren't they would certainly be very close or spot on. His observation about that not really meaning much is probably correct.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back