Lego Boba Fett Costume

CGS1

New Hunter
Greetings everyone,

I recently (semi) completed a Lego Boba Fett (Lego set 9496 - Desert Skiff) costume for my 6 year old son. We took the costume for a trial run at a local toycon this past Sunday. I still have to finish building the arms and blaster, as well as tweaking a few things such as the cape fabric. I approached the components of this project as if they were actual Lego elements. In doing so, I created the jetpack to be removable as it appears in the actual minifigure as well as the range finder stalk. The entire costume is built from scratch using photo references and scans I took myself. The costume is built primarily out of sintra with pink insulation foam used to carve the helmet dome and a small amount of plastazote foam used on the tips and base of the jetpack rockets. Torso and leg graphics are printed on adhesive vinyl while a custom green was used to colour match the helmet and jetpack. I would be happy to post progress photos of the build if anyone is interested in seeing the journey. Oh!, and there may soon be a certain someone, frozen in a certain something being pushed around by Lego Fett ; )

Boba Fett collage.jpg


photo 2-5_crop.jpg


photo 3-4.JPG


photo 3.JPG


photo 5-1.JPG
 

CGS1

New Hunter
Okay, it's settled then. I'll start compiling the images tomorrow. Thank you for the feedback.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

redkraytdragon

Active Hunter
I would be happy to post progress photos of the build if anyone is interested in seeing the journey. Oh!, and there may soon be a certain someone, frozen in a certain something being pushed around by Lego Fett ; )
Yes and yes please!!
Oh and welcome to TDH, what a great way to introduce yourself!
 

CGS1

New Hunter
Thank you all for the warm reception. Where would be the best forum to post the WIP pics, here in the thread or elsewhere?
 

CGS1

New Hunter
Some background on myself. I've been a graphic designer for almost 20 years, started sculpting more seriously about 10-12 years ago, and started carving / building for a mascot company about a year and a half ago. With that said, although I do understand mold making and vacuum forming processes, I have no experience in either. So, I build or sculpt everything and that's where the process usually ends.
As mentioned, I built this costume primarily out of sintra (PVC foam board) because it has some flexibility, is easy to work with, and can produce a nice finished surface.

All elemets of this costume were approached the same way - photos, measurements, 2D drawings, scale, proportions. I used Adobe illustrator to hash out linear drawings of the helmet. Once I had the correct size of the dome, I was able to start. After a couple failed attempts at creating the dome with plastazote foam (making wedges to form the dome) I decided to carve it the old fashion way and simply used pink insulation foam from Home depot. Once I completed the dome, I began building the helmet using the antenna mount as my anchor point. I used a heat gun to shape and form the sintra, and glued layers to create the details throughout the helmet. After a few revisions ( the dark green concave section wasn't deep enough and I had to redo it) the helmet was ready for bondo glazing putty. I use this to fill the seams and rough spots in order to achieve a seamless plastic molded look, much like a Lego minifigure.

photo-9.JPG


photo.JPG


photo-7.JPG


photo-2.JPG


photo-3.JPG


photo-5.JPG


photo-7.JPG
 
Last edited by a moderator:

CGS1

New Hunter
Next, it's on to priming and sanding. I tried a filler primer for the first time which I found nice. It helped fill small imperfections. however, I sanded and primed over it several times with Krylon Rudy red, not much of the filler primer was recognizable. I also flexbonded the insulation foam on the dome in order to allow for painting. Flexbond is basically a glorified white glue and acts as both a sealant and smoothing agent. It's brushed on and then wet smoothed with your fingers. The T-Visor was created using 1/16" plexiglass and was nothing short of frustrating. Unlike Boba Fett's helmet visor from the trilogy which is mounted from behind, the Lego Boba Fett Visor is flush with the helmet. Fitting the visor into place was lengthy and required a lot of fine-tuning. I used tabs that were set 1/16" below the surface of the helmet and both glued and double sided taped the visor into place.

photo 1.JPG


photo 2.JPG


photo 2-2.JPG


photo 1-3.JPG


photo 5-2.JPG


photo 4-2.JPG


photo 3-4.JPG
 
Last edited by a moderator:

CGS1

New Hunter
Sorry, got off track for a bit. Here are more photos of the helmet in progress.

photo 3-3.JPG


photo 1-5.JPG


photo 2-5.JPG


photo 3-5.JPG


photo 2-6.JPG


photo 3-6.JPG


photo 4-5.JPG


photo 3-7.JPG


photo 4-6.JPG


photo 1-1.JPG


photo 5.JPG
 
Last edited by a moderator:

CGS1

New Hunter
I approached the jetpack the same way as the helmet. I photographed the side, back, top and bottom of the Lego jetpack using my iPhone. I then opened the images in Adobe Illustrator, traced key elements of the design, scaled the drawing to the appropriate dimension and printed out the 2D drawings. Using the actual size drawings, I measured each panel, piece, rocket etc. to help establish the process of building. I started with the mount that attaches to the top of the torso and worked my way down. Each piece is cut, and glued like you would a model, until the jetpack was formed. I carved the rocket tips and exhausts using plastazote and coated them with flexbond for painting. The jetpack attaches to the torso using 2 clips I created that sink into torso and hold it in place.

photo 1.JPG


photo 2.JPG


photo 3.JPG


photo 4.JPG


photo 5.JPG


photo 1-1.JPG


photo 2-1.JPG


photo 5-1.JPG


photo 1-2.JPG


photo 3-2.JPG
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Top