General Left ROTJ Gauntlet upgrade

Sni9er

Active Hunter
So .. back again working on my ROTJ Fett i decided to upgrade from the generic LED/holder to a more accurate incandescent part that fitted the measurements i'd found here on TDH

R0576478-01.jpg
RS 576-478 (6V 40ma)

Unfortunately the old part was larger than the new which meant I'd need fill & repaint the area, i also wanted to replace the switch as it was a little difficult to operate i was almost put off doing the whole thing at the thought of having to re-do the paint part myself but after years of TDH lurking i felt up to the task haha

so here is the gauntlet without the LED fitted as you can see the side must've taken a little damage when it was fitted so it was good to patch that up anyway !

5LzlRnD.jpg

first up i removed the rocket and masked the area around the LED and the switch as well as removing the glue and switch from inside the gauntlet, I used Multi surface Frog Tape to mask my edges having used it for years for several house painting touch ups i was confident it would do the job (i NEVER use ordinary masking tape after several horrendous experiences with over adhesion or left residue.

3TvZXAM.jpg

Next up was the filling for this I used U-Pol STK/38 P38 Body Filler, which sets quick and leaves a great finish on cars so figured it would suit well on the fett! needless to say i cant stress the mix ratio enough golf-ball to pea .. I probably made about 3cm^3 and added way to much hardener resulting in having about 2 minute application time before it went off as opposed to the regular 5-10 mins, but it was a small quantity so i didn't mind to much

0V4B7wv.jpg

after this stage there truly was no turning back haha and so set in the anxiety :-O

anyway after 20 mins it was set hard and i started with a sharp wood chisel to take the faces down followed by some wet & dry, below you can see the part after cleanup with a layer of herron grey velspar all in 1 primer/paint as a base coat with 2 coats of Rustoleum Elegant Metallic Silver

lcSdoJu.jpg

the few pits you can see where the filler hasn't covered enough i wasn't too bothered about as i'd be re-drilling in that area, or would add some damage texture to the edge

anyway after it was finished i removed the masking looked pretty decent

EeRwFP6.jpg

Next i re applied my tape and also with 000 steel wool just flattened the metallic layer and applied Liquid Latex (works just like paint mask) to the edges & rims of the new switch/light locations i then applied a dab of water and sea salt, and left it to dry

yprPBDs.jpg

once this was dry i applied 2 layers of Rusoleum Claret Wine which was a close match to the paint on my gauntlet however after applying I might later repaint with Tamiya Flatt red & Hull red (which i've seen is another common used combo here in the UK)

for weathering i used a pin to remove the salt particles and the liquid latex mask, i also applied a layer of tea water to add a rusted hint to the silver to match and lastly which i think was my own addition to dirty up the switch and the light/as well as the paint/blending i applied shoe polish brush (with black reminant on) to the whole area to dirty things up

and now for the results with the new 6V Incandecent wired up to a 9v temporarily while I work on my fett-lectronics (combined rf servo/motor/GOW bulbs & gauntlet light/switch coming soon)

O20piPC.jpg

thanks again TDH for being THE resource

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back