I've been working on this project for a few years. It was the first thing I wanted to make when I bought a laser cutter. Some of the geometry required a lot of trial and error redesigning, and so I've slowly been chipping away at the project, every six months or so returning to it to try and fix the cheek geometry, or design the rangefinder. I finally sat down a few weeks ago and finished off the design. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. The hand-stitched aesthetic was initially just a practical way of joining the wooden tiles, but I think it gives a feudal Japanese feel to the piece which I like.
I also tried a version where I used a variety of different timber stains to add some colour to the wood..
I also tried a version where I used a variety of different timber stains to add some colour to the wood.