Jetpack piano keys. What, where, how?

JSmails

Hunter
Hello I'm stuck.

I'm trying to get my head around the piano keys on the jet pack. Does someone sell these in resin?

Also, what are the dimensions on them? And if anyone has built them before, what do you make them out of? I tried wood but they are too small and keep splitting off. Foam maybe? I imagine I could do cardboard with the right dimensions.

So small and the angle on them is hard to reproduce every time without using a saw. I imagine grinding would be easier to get within a degree or two on each piece.

What have others used?

Thanks very much!

I molded a cap from a set chisels I had that looked like these
1457390753822.jpg
I used one from a smaller chisel and made a quick mold then cleaned up a cast (removed made in USA, cut off top rim, cut to size) then molded again and cast up what I needed.
If I still had the mold I'd help you out but its long gone.
Maybe it will give you an idea if nothing else though! Good luck!

Thanks for the answers! I haven't ever seen Matty Matt's build before. I'll have to read the whole thing.

I should have read it before I started. It would have saved a LOT of time.

Oh wow that'd be a good idea Lynn. Thanks for the links!

Sadly I want to get this thing done this week or next and the keys wouldn't ship until the 16th.

I'll likely give the paint stick a try and if that's too frustrating I'll Shapeways the keys.

If anyone else has suggestions, absolutely speak up. Thanks for the replies so far!

My Boba jetpack I made the piano keys using pepakura. I folded & glued the pieces together making a shell & filled them with a glue/spackle mix. Letting them dry then sanding them square. I didn't really give a good work in progress photos of them though.

Here is a link for the thread:

http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/f20/pepakura-jetpack-47919-post622406/#post622406

Here are the pep files in letter & A4 formats you will need the Pepakura viewer to open the PDO files. The PDF files can be printed at 100%.

Attachments

• Jetpack_Piano_Keys_A4_toolguy301.zip
    42.1 KB · Views: 255
  • Jetpack_Piano_Keys_Letter_toolguy301.zip
    41.7 KB · Views: 235
Wow. Thanks! Pep files make a lot of sense. I'll definitely give this a shot tonight!

My Boba jetpack I made the piano keys using pepakura. I folded & glued the pieces together making a shell & filled them with a glue/spackle mix. Letting them dry then sanding them square. I didn't really give a good work in progress photos of them though.

http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/f20/pepakura-jetpack-47919-post622406/#post622406

Here are the pep files in letter & A4 formats you will need the Pepakura viewer to open the PDO files. The PDF files can be printed at 100%.

This coming from a guy who sells awesome stuff on shapeways, the people on this forum rock!

Cutting out and super gluing them all was tedious and time consuming. But incredibly cheap and very close to accurate.

Thanks for those links.

B19F74D2-C391-449F-A615-117EB57696D3_zps8smjuwva.jpg

(I have to respray the left side. :()

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back