Jetpack harness help

petegrfc

New Hunter
Hi folks,

Any tips on how to make sure the slits in the flak vest for the harness straps are in the right place before I start cutting? I’m guessing just mark the position of the slits in the backplate with that and the flak vest on and go from there?

I’m using a batninja flak vest and mow harness vest.

Thanks

Hi folks,

Any tips on how to make sure the slits in the flak vest for the harness straps are in the right place before I start cutting? I’m guessing just mark the position of the slits in the backplate with that and the flak vest on and go from there?

I’m using a batninja flak vest and mow harness vest.

Thanks
It does seam a bit risky but just go for it. There actually is room for error. I marked mine with the holes from the backplate and it works totally fine. Have someone else mark the holes.

Did the same here. Was very apprehensive at first but it worked out perfect. What I did was placed some duct tape in the general area of where the slits would line up. I put on the vest and backplate and had my son mark through the backplate slits with a sharpie onto the taped area. I then did several measurements of the marks on the taped area to make sure they were even before I cut the slits. If the marks come out uneven, you can just remove the tape and try again.

Yep, You have to have your back plate already properly lined up with the rest of the armor and then mark your vest through the back plate armor holes. It will be perfect.
Lynn

I know that this isn't part of the above question but I thought it could be of some help. When you cut the other vertical slits for the horizontal brackets that the lower clips of the jet pack go on..... make sure that they are long enough so the brackets can't hit the bottom of the slit. As you troop the weight of the pack can pull down on the back of the vest and in turn pull the front of the vest, with collar armor, back into your throat. A problem for some. Good Luck!

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I don’t think the vest should come down far enough for the bottom bracket to interfere with it.

As long as I brought up the pull back problem with the front collar ,here is how we,in addition to the placement of the lower slits, fixed it. This is if you are using the metal pack frame patterned after the movie one. When viewed from the side we are trying to make that straight frame sit vertical on the convex curved surface of the upper back. Adding to the problem is the concave surface of the lower back. When you tighten the waist belt it tends to pull the bottom of the frame into the lower back and tilt the frame back off of vertical. Because the back armor is trapped between the jet pack and the frame and hooked to the collar armor.... everything pulls back with the tilt and weight of the jet pack....no fun. To keep the frame vertical when the belt is tight I made a foam pad to fill the space between the frame and lower back. It's about four inches square and attached to the lower part of the frame and fills the gap between body and frame. Use a fairly sturdy foam and build the thickness that works for you. I adjusted with 3/4" thick pieces glued together with contact cement. When done this can't be seen and added greatly to the comfort factor of our ESB Bobba. No pull back at all.

A few pics to illustrate.... DSC_7136.jpg DSC_7166.jpg DSC_7169.jpg
placement fit vertical

The armor will slide straight down between frame and jet pack and hook cleanly on top of your shoulders.
Because of the thickness of your individual pad it should help anyone on pull back problems.

Found some more photos that show what we did with our harness.

Even though the 501st CLR says that the jetpack shoulder straps are white.. they are clearly gray in ESB.
I used this spray dye to change white strapping to gray.Rubbed them down a little to even the color.
DSC_7141.jpg

When adjusting or for permanent hold on straps I find that staples work very well.
Just crimp them with pliers or tap with a hammer when you're set. They last but remove easy for adjustment.
DSC_7148.jpg

Here I'm using them to help hold sticky back Velcro on the jetpack straps
DSC_7144.jpg DSC_7145.jpg

Finally... some wider shoulder pads, off of E-Bay, to add some extra comfort. Alway need that.

DSC_7163.jpg

I know that this isn't part of the above question but I thought it could be of some help. When you cut the other vertical slits for the horizontal brackets that the lower clips of the jet pack go on..... make sure that they are long enough so the brackets can't hit the bottom of the slit. As you troop the weight of the pack can pull down on the back of the vest and in turn pull the front of the vest, with collar armor, back into your throat. A problem for some. Good Luck!

This must be why my collar was borderline choking me

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back