Jango Voice Amp/Speaker Thinktank

Steelblitz

Active Hunter
I read over what few threads that are here for Jango regarding voice amps and such. Due to not having front side pouches like Boba, we have a challenge to overcome in hiding the voice systems. Unless I overlooked something, nothing stuck out to me as being widely used by us Jangos and my experiences with 2 different setups has been dissapointing.

I've tried 2 different setups with both falling short. I first went with mcirospeakers about the size of 2 dimes stacked on each other. I made a small enclosure for each one and mounted them inside my helmet pointing downwards. I used a small non-adjustable halloween type voiceamp with everything enclosed in the helmet. As long as the speakers point downward, there was zero probem with feedback. My main complaint with this setup is speaker volume is no greater than talking normally through the helmet. I even went as far as to test those speakers with a Newton voiceamp, but the quality and volume coming from the speakers was poor still.

Next I went to a Newton voiceamp for everything. Hid the amp portion in the JP, and seperated the speaker and put it in my cod. The BKBT cod had just enough room for this, but again, the volume was poor even with the amp maxed out due to the sound from the speaker being trapped by the hard cod.

My next choice is something I really didnt want to do, to cut the slots out for the bottom exhaust port on the JP and place the newton speaker over that. I do not like the idea of the sound coming from my back side, but I am running out of choices. The newton speaker cannot be concealed under any other soft or hard armor parts on my front side.

So, what are your experiences with using voice amps and speakers with the Jango costume?

If I got a voice amp, my thought was to make one slightly inaccurate belt pouch with some holes in the front of it and place a speaker in there.

Hello mate!

I have a 4" 8ohm speaker in my jet pack, linked to my RomFX.

IMGP1019.gif
IMGP1124.gif

IMGP1017.gif

I milled out the exhaust vent to sit over the speaker and the sound is nice and clear, all I have to do is run the mic lead up to my lid, which is easy. A good friend of mine has used this system for years sucessfully so I know its tried and tesed.

Speaker is a 4" Mylar 8ohm, square base. Fits snuggly in the base of the Jet Pack, i mounted it on a 0.5" foam base to absorb vibrations then used a bit of resin and fibreglass to make sure it want going anywhere.

Checkout my build thread for full details

http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/showthread.php?t=24347

Last edited by a moderator:
I havent tackled the problem yet. Though it seems you have tried everything I was planning. If I come across anything new I'll message you.

If I got a voice amp, my thought was to make one slightly inaccurate belt pouch with some holes in the front of it and place a speaker in there.

The Newton speaker doesnt fit in there as is, but one of my thoughts was to purchase a high quality speaker of a size that will. I may just go that route and start searching tonight. With the somewhat open nature of the pouch towards the top, I'll try it at first without modding a pouch except for a small hole in the back for the wires.

I have a 4" 8ohm speaker in my jet pack, linked to my RomFX.

I'll probably do this as a quick fix for now. I don't have to go through all of what you did, just cutting out the slots mainly. We have different styles of JP's anyhow regarding how that exhaust feature looks, but it's the same prinicple I was thinking of. Yet, I'll still keep looking for a method with the speaker on the front side of the costume. To me, there is a noticable difference from one mounted on the back.

In the jet pack is the only way to go! (y) (y)

I've have both of my Jango Arena Jet packs set up this way, run the wire out the back of the jump suit through the vest and just under the arc in the back plate and plug in right into the a jack mounted in back portion of the pack that's hooked to a RadioShack amp, it's pretty slick I think! 8) It also actually helps amplify the sound too!

I've included some pics for some quick ref.

P.S. As a side bar for anyone looking, this one's up for sale.

ARENA-JP_1.jpg

AREAN-JP_2.jpg

The Newton speaker doesnt fit in there as is, but one of my thoughts was to purchase a high quality speaker of a size that will. I may just go that route and start searching tonight. With the somewhat open nature of the pouch towards the top, I'll try it at first without modding a pouch except for a small hole in the back for the wires.

Yeah, I didn't mean to put the whole Newton amp in a pouch but to get some sort of PA and separate the speaker and place that in a pouch.

Hey Eric,
Nice JP! (y)

How much difference is the weight once you put it on?

In the jet pack is the only way to go! (y) (y)

I've have both of my Jango Arena Jet packs set up this way, run the wire out the back of the jump suit through the vest and just under the arc in the back plate and plug in right into the a jack mounted in back portion of the pack that's hooked to a RadioShack amp, it's pretty slick I think! 8) It also actually helps amplify the sound too!

I've included some pics for some quick ref.

P.S. As a side bar for anyone looking, this one's up for sale.

I use the Radio Shark voice amp. I cut away all the plastic so the board fits in a pouch in my belt and put on a small speaker from radio shack that is also in one of my pouches. the original speaker is to big and heavy. I do have feedback issues sometimes if there is metal around or I turn the amp up all the way. I finished my MLC jet pack without thinking about making a part to open on the back and now I am afraid to cut one for rish of ruining the pack.

I know I spoke to Steelblitz in a PM about the subject, but I figure i'd post here for anyone else who wants to check it out. This guy, Erv, is a whiz with electronics, he's known mainly for the Crystal Focus Saber Cores, and his newer Blaster Cores... but he is also working on a new in helmet Trooper Voice Amp...
here is a preliminary Demo:
I'll post another thread here to TDH once I get my working unit installed into a helmet. (ya'll gonna have to wait a little for that... my RC bucket isnt even in my possession yet! lol)
but its worth a check out, right?
http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=T2W2n1o0Ebw

Has anyone ever tried taking the "speaker" out of an old cell phone that had a speaker phone option?? The actual speaker is so smal, that it could be placed anywhere. I'm just starting to tackle that now, and i'm pondering the connection to the Newton with it....

I'm not a big fan of the skullworx system, I don't know how larger speakers would work with it, but I would assume that the amp is made for the size speakers they are selling with it.

Here is a site that I think offers some very reasonably priced amps and other electronics that came up over at clone-empire.com

Has anyone ever tried taking the "speaker" out of an old cell phone that had a speaker phone option?? The actual speaker is so smal, that it could be placed anywhere. I'm just starting to tackle that now, and i'm pondering the connection to the Newton with it....

I went as far as to ty the small halloween voice changer speaker with my Newton, but they are noticable quieter. I also tried 4 very small cellphone speakers, but they also don't have the voume with the newton. Maybe a good push to talk speaker may sound decent. Whatever it is, it needs to get as loud as the regular newton setup for my application, or the sound gets lost when the spaker is muffled, in any type of crowd, or a setting with background noise or even outdoors.

Clone-Empire is one of the local 501st here. He is a great and knowledgeable guy.

I'm not a big fan of the skullworx system, I don't know how larger speakers would work with it, but I would assume that the amp is made for the size speakers they are selling with it.

Here is a site that I think offers some very reasonably priced amps and other electronics that came up over at clone-empire.com

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back