Jango helmet / armor WIP

Discussion in 'Jango Fett Costume' started by bboyfett, Jul 14, 2017.

1. bboyfett

bboyfett New Member

Thanks to Cruzer for this piece of art. I painted it myself. Just need to add some pinstripes and weathering and it should be good to go. Have to glue down the visor inside also and add helmet padding.

IMG_8713.JPG

I got all my armor from Cruzer. Dude is a beast, I'm sure it's already been said.

IMG_8583.JPG

Still waiting on my arena pack to show up, and have to deal with some mis-measurements on the girth belt. My forearms are like Popeye's so I gotta fix my gauntlets as well. Other than that the entire WIP is coming along nicely. Hope to see some of y'all at SDCC this week!

hvacdon likes this.
  2. Mullreel

Mullreel Well-Known Member

Post some pics when you get suited up.

And welcome to the world of Jango Fett.

bboyfett likes this.
  3. bboyfett

bboyfett New Member

Found a Tandy leather shop near the house. They had the dark grayish/blue tinted leather in an entire cow size. That's an eastern king bed its lying on. I think I have enough to make a vest for Jabba.

image.jpeg

And scored these Master Replicas Westars for under $500.

image.jpeg

hvacdon likes this.
  4. Mullreel

Those are two good scores. That color leather is tough to come by most of the time.

bboyfett likes this.
  5. bboyfett

bboyfett New Member

Will definitely post some pics once its complete. And yes, I've been on the hunt for those Westars for about a year when this pair finally showed up on eBay for a reasonable price

6. bboyfett

bboyfett New Member

Mullreel, how far down does your vest go? I've got an old motorcycle vest I used to wear during my riding days that I'm going to use for measurement purposes... but scouring through all the posts in here... I haven't seen anyone with their vest on without their girth belt and ammo pouches. Just want to make sure I make it long enough if it were the case.

7. mmarley

mmarley Jr Member

amazing armor, cruzer is the best

bboyfett likes this.
  8. bboyfett

bboyfett New Member

Got a 25yard spool of leather bolo for about $75. I have to redo my girth belt and wanted that dark brown look.

Making your own leather parts is definitely a lot cheaper if you have the time, patience, and some skill. I found this out the hard way after spending some time at my local Tandy store chit chatting with the workers. If I had known, I would have made my holster and ammo pouches also. Oh well, at least I have a base to work with if I decide to help a few individuals out in the future.

Screen Shot 2017-07-15 at 9.03.38 AM.png 778566c0e167a3e7e6bf8b35670e1fed.jpeg

9. Mullreel

The leather vest comes down to just above the waist. The big key is it needs to come far enough under the girth belt that is will not pull out the top when you start moving around. Mine comes down just between the navel and the belt line.

10. hvacdon

hvacdon Jr Member

Very nice looking armor and helmet there David !!

bboyfett likes this.
  11. bboyfett

bboyfett New Member

Thanks brother. Will definitely make sure it goes far enough.

12. bboyfett

bboyfett New Member

I gotta give all that credit to Cruzer. He gave me all the details to make it right.

13. bboyfett

bboyfett New Member

Awwww snap... Yep, so how did everyone else attach snaps to their boots? Industrial glue?

IMG_8745.JPG.jpeg

hvacdon likes this.
  14. Mullreel

I glued the snap to the boot and also put a small piece of velcro under the armor to keep it in place.

bboyfett likes this.
  15. DarthBrooks

DarthBrooks New Member

Got any pics of the back?

16. bboyfett

bboyfett New Member

Finally finished and weathered my gauntlets. This took a while since I basically had to find a way to make it bigger. I ended up buying a sheet of ABS and molded it myself. Cost me about $30 rather than $200+ for someone to repair my cold cast pieces. A little bit of rub'n'buff, some weathering, and boom! Gotta order the darts now. Any recommendations?

*Note if you don't have a steady enough hand or comfortable using a dremel and drilling holes into your $$$ gauntlets, I would think twice. This isn't as easy as it looks. Takes patience, time, and some building skill.

IMG_9482-1.JPG

hvacdon and Pinface like this.
  17. bboyfett

bboyfett New Member

Here's a quick update on the helmet. Did some weathering a few weeks ago.
    IMG_9261.JPG.jpeg

Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
    hvacdon likes this.
  18. bboyfett

bboyfett New Member

Progress on the stubby pack. Still need to do the silver then add some weathering to hide any imperfections. This is definitely going to be easier than the Kamino pack. I only chose this one version first since it's probably going to be the easiest to troop with. Definitely will get the Kamino pack to round out the set.

IMG_9512.JPG

19. bboyfett

bboyfett New Member

Mullreel how did you apply the silver on your arena pack? Rattle can, hand brush it, or rub n buff? The rub n buff is kinda messy and even if I tape the other areas off, there's a potential that I didn't rub out most of it and end up putting fingerprints onto the dark blue areas.

20. Mullreel

On the pack I currently wear it is all cold cast fiberglass so I didn't have to use R+B. On my previous pack I applied the R+B by hand and just made sure to have enough heat build up to smooth it out as best I could. Then I polished it with a shining rag before I removed any tape. It is a bit messy but if you take your time it isn't too bad. When you tape off the blue areas put paper down over everything and tape so you won't have the finger print issue, then when you are done you can touch up and last but not least use weathering to your advantage to hide any problem areas.

21. bboyfett

bboyfett New Member

Awesome thanks for the help Mullreel. I'll definitely apply some good tape coverage.