Jango for a 5 year old, progress thread.

JudgeMinty

Hunter
Just thought I'd start a thread for the Jango costume I'm going to create for my four (will be five by the time I finish) year old son.

I'm not going for 100% accurate 501st standard, but I imagine it will be a pet project, which I'll be able to tweak and improve as I go.

So far, all I've done is orders some bits, including a couple of child size boiler suits, a pair of blue and silver toy Jango blasters and a lid from a RPF member, which I believe originated with a member here?

4487486531_3a23ff56a4_o.jpg

I've also got a cheap deluxe Jango costume, which I'm going to use for scale, and to keep my son interested.

Once I have full access to the boards and Cargo Hold, there are probably a few purchases I'd like to make, so that I can update this thread. I notice a few people have already created some cool mini mandos, which is great.

Blasters arrived today.

These are the Rubies toy blasters. I've only posted this image, because a few sellers show these ones (in the original blue and silver), but often the ones they actually have in stock are the new ones in orange and white. So it's always best to ask. just in case. These were the last pair, in this colour, the source I used had.

4499143215_83ae07fe55.jpg

They're a nice weight and size for a child (or his Dad). They're a bit quiet, but considering how often my son will probably be pulling the trigger, I count that as a huge bonus.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've ordered a couple.

I've probably made a mistake with these.

I've ordered this Navy one. In the picture it doesn't look too bad colour wise, but I think it will probably be too dark when I get it. Fingers crossed I might be lucky.
4499181749_1ed02c227c_o.jpg

4499836198_1d73b1c471.jpg

I was thinking of getting a Royal Blue one then dying it. However, if the colour is too vivid it would require 'bleaching' anyway, which is why I've gone for the Navy ones. Might be an idea to see what mine look like when I get them? They're reasonable cheap and I could probably find a use for them anyway, if they're no good.

EDIT - CAUTION I've since found out that polyester and cotton blends don't bleach/fade!!! Which is why I've removed the link for where I got mine.

Thanks for the link Phill,

After looking through what I can afford (for a costume that wont get that much use). I've decided on this approach.

- The helmet is going to be a pro job, I'm not touching it.

- The vest will be by LadySewforus, as this also looks tricky and I'd like it to look as good as possible.

- Two sets of Navy 'boiler suits' arrived yesterday (£10 each). I'm going to see what they look like after pre-dying and then experiment with colour. They fit my son well, which is half the problem.

- I've got a bunch of sheets of plastic mirror board left over from another project, I'll cut, bend and crease them to make the plate armour. A light coat of silver and some weathering. Underneath it's like a mirror, if they scratch it will simply reveal shiny 'metal'. It's quite thin, which should make it easy to work with, but I'm going to back them with thin foam, for extra comfort. I've cut out cardboard templates, which I need to test for scale, as soon as I can get my son to sit still long enough.

- I'm hoping to salvage the pouches and belt from a licensed costume I ordered and the holsters that came with the toy blaster just need a light cost of paint.

- The toy blasters are good to go.

- A normal set of black shoes will do.

- The only thing I'm missing are the gauntlets. I'll salvage the soft costume ones until I can create something better.

I laid the few bits I've got together, and it's already beginning to look familiar. I'll post some pictures tomorrow, if I can find my camera.

sounds like you have a good plan

Thanks.

A little bit of progress.

- Helmet has arrived, but has a hairline crack (looks like a bit of a weak area). I'm hoping this will be easy to fix whilst doing the prep for painting. Apart from that it's a really nice piece.
- Boiler suits look good. Need pre-dying, then dying.
- Salvaged belt from Rubies costume and modified to make more durable. I've taken a few liberties with the press studs (accuracy wise), but it reduces the number of things to break or rip. It still needs a bit of a re-paint on the holsters.
- Armour cut, using templates from TDH, need spraying and weathering.

Lots to do, but at least it's beginning to look familiar. Vest, gauntlets and knee things, still to sort out.

Here's a couple of shots. Sorry for the terrible quality, my camera is rubbish with the flash.

4524488264_039d06c5a5.jpg

4523857479_56cc0547c7.jpg

Cheers folks,
though I've made my first mistake Polyester and Cotton blends don't bleach/fade!!!

If' I'd checked properly I would have noticed that some one on THD as already found this out and posted about it.

100% cotton suits seem to none existent for kids. I've got some other ideas though.

Steven

Not much progress as late, but I need to get a move on as I did a quick mock up of the elements to check sizes, and it's just right.

4623605953_e95829d148.jpg

He's just got a fancy dress helmet on for the shot.

I ended up having to spray the overalls in the end. They have a little room to grow, I'm planning on folding the upper arm in on itself to create the top sleeve effect.

I got the faux leather cheap, so I quickly knocked this together for sizing, I'll use it to create a finished one and then darken it a bit. The armour hasn't been sprayed yet and it just stuck on with double sided tape for the mock-up.

Cheers
Steven

Slight bit of progress.

The Helmet is with Bobby Fett UK for a proper paint job (thanks again). When the rest of the costume has been outgrown or fallen to bits I'm planning to put this on my son's shelf (or my own,if he doesn't want it).

My mother-in-law is going to have a go at the vest. I've managed to find a vinyl die which will seems to look okay. I've put a swatch under the right arm.

The suit still needs a bit of re-colouring as does the belt and holsters. A friend gave me a smaller chrome effect blaster and I've just manage to score another one from ebay for less than £5. I gave a slight coat of silver to the mirror board, which looks cool.

4656865443_9534e68941.jpg

Whilst the lid and vest are being prepared, I've set myself a little task. I wasn't originally that bothered about a back pack, but I bought Joe an inflatable one, which he loves, but the size is massive. So I'm bodging together a new one, with the emphasis on lightness and size, rather than accuracy. Made from polystyrene and foam, it weighs nothing and holds together by itself, though I'll glue it to be safe.

Still quite a few bits to add, but looking familiar.

4656864303_b08a5ed651.jpg

Cheers guys.

Finally managed to do a bit more work, attaching the leg armour.

And of course, my son as already started to outgrow the flight suit, hence the trousers are too short.

4715237900_b2998f6684.jpg

Fancy dress helmet and inflatable jet pack are just for the test shot. Armour vest still with Gran.

Nearly there!

4752505921_59fc03d7e4.jpg

Still to do:
- Proper Helmet
- Knee Armour
- Gauntlets
- Upper Arm Sleeve
- Gloves
- Finish Jet Pack
- Some finishing touches

Jet Pack needs quite a few bits sticking on, but I'm not going crazy with it.

4752505391_a2ce9165f3.jpg

4752504625_f1b6c2f145.jpg

Especially considering it does this.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back