Industrial Light & Magic Job

Kashyyyk4ABY

Active Hunter
Considering that this is a Star Wars-related forum and all, are there any ILM employees that could give me some info regarding that specific line of work.

I'm interested in the Model Maker area and was just hoping that someone might have some information regarding the degrees you got and how the whole experience panned out.

Feedback is GREATLY appreciated! Thanks!

Ah man, Ive been wanting to get a position at skywaker sound for the longest time. I asked about it through their site, but never recieved a response....

-tubachris

I wish... I was out in San Fran a year or so ago, and I was SO tempted to try to get an interview in their IT department for something... anything...

But it wasn't meant to be :)

I thought ILM was phasing out the physical modeling division in favor of pure CGI?

ILM did indeed sell off their models division. They no longer do any physical models. The new owner is actually one of the original Lucas employees.

http://www.cinematical.com/2006/06/14/defining-unit-of-ilm-sold/

A friend of mine just left ILM to work for 'a band apart', he said the turn over rate isn't very high, most people stay there for an extended period of time before moving on. Good Luck in any case.

-x

Last edited by a moderator:
ya i have 1 more year to go in college before i can apply for an internship in the animation department during the summer. hope i get the internship.

I'm not sure about everybody else, but I kind of hope there isn't anybody here from ILM. I would hate to be ratted out to LFL and have C&D orders floating down:lol:

I'm not sure about everybody else, but I kind of hope there isn't anybody here from ILM. I would hate to be ratted out to LFL and have C&D orders floating down:lol:

the folks from ILM that i've met would probably be more interested in helping us out than getting us smacked down! :)

LFL does monitor this site, but they support fans who make their own costumes, it's the people who try to profit off the franchise they gang tackle. The ILM folks don't really concern themselves with the legal aspects. They don't have times. My buddy was working stupid weekly hours when he was there. Masi Oka used to work for ILM, the 'Heroes' fans should know who that is.

-x

I think if you have the skills/aspiration you will do fine. Apply and keep building up your marketable skills. They have a fairly large staff so even though the turn over rate isn't high, they still do turn over some jobs and create new ones every day. Good luck and I wish you well with your choice.

-x

I wish... I was out in San Fran a year or so ago, and I was SO tempted to try to get an interview in their IT department for something... anything...

Brian, they had an opening in the IT dept a few months ago, I applied but never heard anything back..lol

This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back