Hey y'all! Newish to TheRPF, brand new here at TheDentedHelmet.

RidireFirean

New Hunter
I had hoped to ask a couple of questions in @animefan 's and @Wasteland 's sales threads but it appears I can't do that there yet. So maybe someone can help me out here?

I've done most of the prerequisite ready that I can, but before I get confused beyond repair I'd very much appreciate a little filling in of the gaps in my understanding of the current runs of helmets and their lineage.

Animefan is making = "Fettprides Premium Boba Fett helmets in coldcast fiberglass". I'm a sculptor so I understand what coldcast fiberglass is. Fettpride was Chris, I learned that. Chris made @Art Andrews 's GMH helmet. I read Art's history pages and I get the GMH lineage. Chris made the FPH2. I have figured out that it's bigger than a GMH, correct? But is that because it's a different part of the original 6 helmet family tree, or was that something Fettpride sculpted for folks with larger heads? Is it a digitally scaled up version of an original helmet or a cut, spread, and fill in the gaps? The big question here is that I haven't been able to ascertain yet which version a "Fettpride Premium" is.

Wasteland is making = Gelcoat/Fiberglass "FPH2 Prototype mold" helmets. Still need help with what a FPH2 is, but what I'd like further clarification on is the "Prototype Mold" part. Is this a mold used to make the first FPH2 plug? Or rather a mold Fettpride used during the creation of the FPH2, but this is not the mold creating the final FPH2 version that Chris produced years ago?

Asok, who I've learned has passed on to the great Sarlacc Pit in the sky, my sincere condolences to those of you who were his friends, made a run of the GMH helmets. After his passing, a woman picked up the Asok name and continued this run. But aparently she isn't active here anymore? I'm most curious to know if Asok's GMH helmets were from the casting Fettpride made for Art Andrews' untouched GMH mold, or were they a run from the mold Fettpride repaired to make a corrected GMH helmet from?

I'm hoping to figure this out as I'd like to purchase a Boba Fett helmet. I'm probably never going to paint it and it will most likely gather dust on my shelf alongside the helmet my dad made for me when I was a little kid, which is still white fiberglass to this day.

It doesn't have to be 100% "screen" accurate, I would like to have a helmet that was part of the original 6 helmets lineage so that the helmet was accurate in overall size and general shape. I say general shape, because it's not important to me that the helmet has a particular wave in the eyeslit from PP2 or a flare at the bottom, or a scratch here but not there kind of accurate. Actually, a waveless, dentless (BLASPHEMY! I know, I know), scratchless, straight, crisp-edged version would suit me to a "T".

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide in helping me figure all this out. And I thought Obi-wan's lightsaber was difficult to fully understand!

Thinking of that, I haven't found yet a "Real Parts" history of the Boba Fett helmet. Is there one? Over at TheRPF there are excellent discovery threads, and more importantly photo collages of "Real Parts" lightsabers with finished props and the items the individual pieces came from. I would love to see that here for the Boba Fett helmet! So far I've learned that there was a calculator bit used in the back, beneath what looks like a shelving unit part, the "keyslot"? is that what y'all call it? bit. The Borden Connector on the right cheek. The RangeFinder has to be a mailbox part right? HA! Seriously though, does anyone know what that is?

I think that's all of my questions for now. Thanks for the opportunity to become part of this community, I hope I can contribute to furthering the joy we all find in the Star Wars Universe!

p.s. there's still a typo in the Helmet History Poster above the Lava Helmet, it still reads "helemt". If that's ever fixed, could you do a white background version too, that's a little more printer friendly? I'd love to print that out, it's fantastic information, but it'll eat my black cartridge for sure.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Wasteland! Thanks for checking in here! Yep, I read that. My question was, regardless of the fact that you're not molding in the MQ-1 board, is it the same mold that was used to make the original FPH2's? I'm simply confused by the "Prototype Mold" wording.

Found this about what the FPH2 is... http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/f23/introducing-fph2-esb-47916/ So, it's definitely bigger than the original 6. Still curious if there's any insider info as to its creation. Did Fettpride put a beach ball in a soft casting and inflate it to make it bigger? ;) His "It is not an ..." doesn't quite say what it IS. I wish I could print off that Helmet History pic and check off the it is nots to see if that makes it any clearer for me.

Is one of the other molds you bought from Fettpride a GMH or Master Replicas version? And if so are you able to cast from them, or are you only doing the FPH2's? The FPH2 looks cool and all but it doesn't appear to be in the lineage of the original 6 helmets. In the "spirit" of yes, but not the same. I'm 6'-3" so I guess that would be cool if I was making a costume, as it appears to be only slightly larger than an original, and I'm only slightly bigger than Jeremy Bullock (6'-0"), but I think I'd prefer knowing it was just like the real helmet... in a dimensions aspect anyway. I'm thinking I'll probably fill in all the scratches and sand it smooth and paint it stark white, more of a AFFB than ESB! I'd love to get that done and make a mold, pop out a wax, and pour it in bronze!!! Now I'm just dreaming, too many other sculpts to finish before I get to do that.

Wow you type a lot.

Yep.

And thank you for the clarification! On your mold at least. ;)

If anyone has any "Real Parts" info to share, I'm still eager to learn what those parts are!

Oddly enough, I think I have at least two of the little dental screws used on Boba Fett's gauntlet. I tried to find, but couldn't, my old medieval torture devices, I mean upper and lower palette/mandible expansion mechanisms. Not that I'd cut them out of their metal frames to use them or anything, but I'd like to find them all the same. Back to the search!

I mean the FPH2 isn't the only helmet on the market. There are many that also hit the mark for accuracy. Are you wanting an ESB look or a ROTJ one? I have a helmet available which I sculpted based on exact measurements of the screen-used helmets, if you're interested. I'm also willing to do a paint commission for it too, as a one stop option. Let me know if you have any questions. Feel free to PM me.

Animefan is making = "Fettprides Premium Boba Fett helmets in coldcast fiberglass". I'm a sculptor so I understand what coldcast fiberglass is. Fettpride was Chris, I learned that. Chris made @Art Andrews 's GMH helmet. I read Art's history pages and I get the GMH lineage. The big question here is that I haven't been able to ascertain yet which version a "Fettpride Premium" is.

The FP Premium is a recast of a Master Replicas helmet so that's the lineage. FP also did a FP budget and that was also a recast of a Master Replicas helmet but with the the ear pieces moulded in except for the RF cap piece. The budget mould was sold to Bill 'Asok' Warren but so far as I know that run stopped when Bill died. Animefan also does a budget recast of the Master Replicas with ear caps attached based on the FP Premium MR recast. RS Propmasters do a helmet that is also a recast of a Master Replicas helmet. Darth Vorhees does the DVH helmet and that is another MR recast with extra widening at the base to increase the flare at the bottom (about half an inch wider I believe but you'd have to check that with Lou).

Asok, who I've learned has passed on to the great Sarlacc Pit in the sky, my sincere condolences to those of you who were his friends, made a run of the GMH helmets. After his passing, a woman picked up the Asok name and continued this run. But aparently she isn't active here anymore? I'm most curious to know if Asok's GMH helmets were from the casting Fettpride made for Art Andrews' untouched GMH mold, or were they a run from the mold Fettpride repaired to make a corrected GMH helmet from?

FP did the original run of GMH helmets circa 2010 + and then Asok (Bill) took over early to mid 2013 ish. When Bill died his friend to over the Asok name and GMH production but you are correct in that she hasn't been heard from for some time. I'm not quite sure I understand exactly your question on the GMH correctly but so far as I know the GMH that FP offered, the GMH that Asok offered, and the GMH that Skyfire now offers are all the same base helmets derived from the cleaned up helmet done by FP from the Art Andrews GMH original as covered in Art's articles. They've been made in a few different materials and some with ears on or off but it's the same basic helmet. The GMH original is now owned by Superjedi.

It doesn't have to be 100% "screen" accurate, I would like to have a helmet that was part of the original 6 helmets lineage so that the helmet was accurate in overall size and general shape. I say general shape, because it's not important to me that the helmet has a particular wave in the eyeslit from PP2 or a flare at the bottom, or a scratch here but not there kind of accurate. Actually, a waveless, dentless (BLASPHEMY! I know, I know), scratchless, straight, crisp-edged version would suit me to a "T".

The AF budget might suit your needs well because you'll have your lineage through the Pre Pro 3 based Master Replicas scan, the ears are (mostly) already attached meaning you won't have to do much work, and the price is extremely good value foor money in my opinion. The overall size and shape of the MR line is excellent and filling the dent would be easy if that is your desire; AF might even do it for you.

Thinking of that, I haven't found yet a "Real Parts" history of the Boba Fett helmet. Is there one? Over at TheRPF there are excellent discovery threads, and more importantly photo collages of "Real Parts" lightsabers with finished props and the items the individual pieces came from. I would love to see that here for the Boba Fett helmet! So far I've learned that there was a calculator bit used in the back, beneath what looks like a shelving unit part, the "keyslot"? is that what y'all call it? bit. The Borden Connector on the right cheek. The RangeFinder has to be a mailbox part right? HA! Seriously though, does anyone know what that is?

There's the Wiki on the top right of the tool bar that lists most of the known parts of the suits. It can be a bit temperamental but if the pages don't have detailed information you could paste terms into the search field and that would give you a wealth of information.

The FP Premium is a recast of a Master Replicas helmet so that's the lineage. FP also did a FP budget and that was also a recast of a Master Replicas helmet but with the the ear pieces moulded in except for the RF cap piece. The budget mould was sold to Bill 'Asok' Warren but so far as I know that run stopped when Bill died. Animefan also does a budget recast of the Master Replicas with ear caps attached based on the FP Premium MR recast. RS Propmasters do a helmet that is also a recast of a Master Replicas helmet. Darth Vorhees does the DVH helmet and that is another MR recast with extra widening at the base to increase the flare at the bottom (about half an inch wider I believe but you'd have to check that with Lou).

The premium is the MR Prototype not the production MR helmet which had been digitally corrected to "fix" the subtle things we really WANT. The budget is an MR production (this also went to asok if I remember right?) .....that being said the Anime budget is his Prototype (premium) with the ears cast onto it.

The premium is the MR Prototype not the production MR helmet which had been digitally corrected to "fix" the subtle things we really WANT.

Indeed, I've heard this expressed this way around and I've also heard it expressed the other way around but either way they're both recasts of Master replicas helmets and are based on the MR 3D scanning of the PP3 helmet. The budget mould definitely went to Bill.

Indeed, I've heard this expressed this way around and I've also heard it expressed the other way around but either way they're both recasts of Master replicas helmets and are based on the MR 3D scanning of the PP3 helmet. The budget mould definitely went to Bill.

Right but the MR production and the prototype are two different things....one is right and one is kinda like a fan sculpt since its based on the helmet but been tampered with.

@le1120 Thank you for your offer. Right now I think I'm going to start with a corrected GMH or a MR Production. If I decide to ever have one painted (which I probably wouldn't ever finish myself) anything but white (which I can handle) I'll keep your painting offer in mind!

@Fetterling Just wait until I get excited about something! I'll really put those typing classes from high school to work!

@intwenothor THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! That's exactly the information I had hoped to learn about the different castings! It would have taken me forever to find that Wiki, there's a lot to sift through in there! My last question, is there any difference between the budget versions and the premium versions beyond that one has molded ears and on the other the ears have to be attatched? In the end is just being able to say that one version assembles like the screen used helmets and the other doesn't? Are the ears on the budget helmets hollow like a vacuum cast? Or are they solid resin/fiberglass? I'm just wondering if one side becomes heavier than the other depending on how the ears are made?

@Fett 4 Real I feel ya. Some of the fan sculpts do look pretty amazing though. It all boils down to what your mind's eye tells you what Boba Fett's helmet is supposed to look like. For me, knowing that I'll just paint it white, I think a smooth, flat visored version will look more like what I imagine Boba Fett's Helmet to look like when it was brand new, much like the SuperTrooper's does. When everything is stark white it really points out the "flaws" and I'll never stop thinking about them. Like when I look at nearly all of the helmets from the rear before they're painted, the left sides are all shorter than the right and have a different curvature. Drives me nuts! However, if I ever decide to buy a "screen-accurate" replica, it will have to have the wave and the dent and all the wee little scratches and even the uneven rear! Crazy right!

Thanks again to everyone here for all of your insight! This helps me tremendously as I move closer towards purchasing my first Boba Fett replica helmet!

RidireFirean

As I understand things it is as F4R stated in that the Animefan budget helmet is based on the same moulds as his premium helmet. Presumably he made a helmet from his moulds, attached a set of ears, and then recast that to make a new mould. The other difference will be that the cheaper helmet is a slush resin cast and the more expensive ears off version is made using fibreglass. Resin helmets are typically heavier because more material is needed to give strength to the unsupported shape. Resin helmets can also deform when exposed to heat including sunlight. The ears would not typically be hollow on the inside of a resin helmet, there might be some indentation where it isn't absolutely necessary to completely pack out the ear cavity but that would be minimal and the inside would look pretty uniform.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back