help mounting ESB RKD v3 gauntlets

emme3

Active Hunter
hi guys
i bought the new v3 kit made by the great Will ! thank you my friend.
Now i'm looking to the best way to mount these.
in my current kit i have hinges and velcro but like Rafal said, the screen used ones has only velcro, so i'm debating with myself about how to procede. hinges are good but i don't like the fact they are visible, instead i read that velcro isn't comfortable because it open moving arms. I read about magnets threads but unfortunately there are no more photo links.
so now, i'm here to ask if you guy can help me posting some photos and tell me your suggestions,
thank you all!
Marco

I use Velcro with RKDs gaunts...on one side...the other I fix permanently....this makes kinda a clam shell effect. The gaunts are very secure this way.

Lou at DVH has my gaunts right now, otherwise, I would take a picture. On one side, I used duct tape. On the other side, I used magnets.

On the short gaunt, I used a flat strip of abs with magnets attached directly to the gaunt, a recess in the abs for the magnet attached to the gaunt, and a magnet on the other side of the recess.

On the longer, curved side, I used rubber strips, but did basically the same thing I did with the ABS. It holds surprisingly well. And everything fits flush (I hate seeing the piano hinge... it is like fingers on a chalkboard to me, but is obviously very funtional).

I read a thread here where one creative Fett used elastic on both sides of the gauntlets. I'm likely going to try this or some combination of velcro and elastic on opposing sides.

I use Velcro with RKDs gaunts...on one side...the other I fix permanently....this makes kinda a clam shell effect. The gaunts are very secure this way.
that's very interesting. and maybe do you overlap the upper shell over the lower one or otherwhise the lower over the upper one? thanks brother

Here is something I did for RexFett with his RKD gauntlets. I designed a hinge with a swing out feature & had them 3D printed. There are 2 used on each gauntlet. The hinges are different lengths for the left & the right. Depending on the kit there may be some fitting involved. These were epoxied in & will give a hidden look. They open enough to slide your hand through then a rod is used to pin the halves together. Very secure method & is similar to using a piano hinge but this actually hides the hinge so it isn't seen.

These can be purchased here:

Gauntlet Right Hinge 7.25 Inch Long by toolguy301 on Shapeways

Gauntlet Left Hinge 6 Inch Long by toolguy301 on Shapeways

20161201_193757_zps97miu4f0.jpg

20161201_193913_zpsl1mqssgv.jpg

20161201_194029_zps2nsamciy.jpg

20161201_194158_zpspvu3gt66.jpg

20161217_230624_zpsdhqma2ru.jpg

20161217_230849_zps8y9wk2zb.jpg

20161217_231031_zpsmoyiq3gz.jpg

20161217_230218_zpseekndvee.jpg

20161217_230407_zps08kwe7gy.jpg

20161217_230654_zpsp8tnegtp.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is something I did for RexFett with his RKD gauntlets. I designed a hinge with a swing out feature & had them 3D printed. There are 2 used on each gauntlet. The hinges are different lengths for the left & the right. Depending on the kit there may be some fitting involved. These were epoxied in & will give a hidden look. They open enough to slide your hand through then a rod is used to pin the halves together. Very secure method & is similar to using a piano hinge but this actually hides the hinge so it isn't seen.
thanks for the photos i really appreciate your help :)

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back