Helmet Warping

Dentedarmor

Active Hunter
I've had my Don Post 97 for about a month and a half now and i love it! However, on the right eye piece the plastic has warped quite badly, it looks like hes squinting ;) Is there anyway i can prevent this from happening again and is there i way can sort it out again?

Thanks

ive heard of multiple people heating their helmets up with hot water or putting them in the car on a hot day, and then fixing the warp and enforcing it with fiberglass or something. im not sure though as i havent had this problem (yet :) )

Heck i'm only 14 :p don't think it would be wise to let me lose with fiberglass just yet :facepalm However i'm thinking of hairdrying it, problem is, previous owner used a glue gun to stick the visor in :( so i dont want to crack it

Oh well trial and error

Thanks

If your refering to a Don Post helmet. Use a heat gun, (don't get to close with it)heat it up and hold it in the desired shape until cool. Then renforce it with a heavy wire coat hanger. Glue it with 2-part epoxy or JB weld.

Hey cool :D I'm gonna try that at the week end maybe, below are the pics of the warping, i think its quite bad but opinions? Heh hes got a squint! The first pic is a comparioson shot. Sorry the pics are bad had to take them quickly!

Warped.JPG

warped2.JPG

Bucket.JPG

This week i thought I'd try and do something with an old and very crappy DP 97 I've had for like 8 years.

To improve the shape (which was pretty badly warped) all I did was put the helmet in my oven (but made sure my girlfriend wasnt home before doing this though lol) at 80 degrees celcius for about 10 minutes whilst keeping a watchful eye on it.

By the time I took it out the vinyl was nice and soft but not so soft that the whole thing collpased into a molted pile. What I did then was place the helmet into a nice solid wooden box and packed towels around it to get the desired shape.

I left it for about an hour to cool down and when I pulled it out of the box I was blown away by how much better it looked. It has a really nice flair now and the beauty is its kept its new shape.

I'l be posting a thread tomorrow hopefully on my progress on this bucket because its shape really doesnt look anything like a DP 97 anymore.

Hi,i'd say go down the route of fibreglassing it,i know i'm repeating whats been said here,but once it's done,it's done,it'll never go out of shape again!

Dentedarmor said:
lol where can i get fiberglass from!? I live in the middle of nowhere basically! :( Is it easy to use?

DA

I have seen it for sale in Spares World, Halfords, I think B&Q stock it or like pennywisesweetooth said order it off the internet. There's instructions on the back of the box.
As far as how easy it is to use I have never done it personally but as it's only going inside the helmet you do not need to do a fantastic job of it.

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back