Helmet advice for n0000b

gazzeg27

New Hunter
Hi everyone,

I'm looking to add a nice fett helmet to my collection and I'd like some advice if possible.

I've found this one on a popular auction site, looks OK but I would think it's horribly overpriced.

Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/182415160870

How much would I be looking to pay for a similar one / this one if the seller would come down?

Also, what modifications would need to be made to have it movie accurate?

Thanks for reading and hope to speak to everyone once I finally get a bucket!

This looks like a 'mystery' helmet. They're okay but I think this one is hideously overpriced. Several sellers on this board offer better alternative helmets that would offer better value and better accuracy. I also think you could probably buy one of those, paint it yourself to the same or a better standard, and still come out ahead by some margin.

You aren't supposed to post ebay links unless they are your own...........just fyi

Do some research here on the forums and you will quickly see a direction to go. Most of the time you will find a kit form and then have a person commissioned to paint it. You will find some of the best craftsmen here on the forums.

This looks like a 'mystery' helmet. They're okay but I think this one is hideously overpriced. Several sellers on this board offer better alternative helmets that would offer better value and better accuracy. I also think you could probably buy one of those, paint it yourself to the same or a better standard, and still come out ahead by some margin.

You aren't supposed to post ebay links unless they are your own...........just fyi

Do some research here on the forums and you will quickly see a direction to go. Most of the time you will find a kit form and then have a person commissioned to paint it. You will find some of the best craftsmen here on the forums.

Intwenother, thanks for taking a look. As far as price, what would the helmet I posted be worth do you think?

With buying a kit and painting it myself, I lack the time, patience and expertise at this current moment in time haha.

Mullreel, sorry, I'll delete the ebay links and post pictures in future.

Is there a dedicated section on the forum to find someone who can paint a helmet for me or do I just need to scroll through the threads?

Alright Gazz, really tough for me to give you a meaningful input because I simply wouldn't buy this helmet. The Mystery helmet is one of the most recast Boba helmets going besides the Master Replicas and I'm not knowledgeable enough on the Mystery helmet to know if this is a good example of one. The fact the camera is so close to the helmet makes it tough to judge the overall shape.

Personally the paint work does nothing for me so I'd have to sand that right back and start again effectively meaning that through my eyes this is a step below a clean cast because I'd have to remove the existing paint. I might (might) pay a tenth of the asking price but I don't need a helmet.

Time and patience I can't vouch for but the resources on this site would allow anyone to do a reasonable paint up with no prior experience. The board is littered with examples. Even if you didn't want to do that I reckon you could still get a painted helmet, finished to a better standard, for under £600. Check the cargo hold area of the board. I'd be surprised if you didn't find something nice.

Live the dream

Andy

You can definetly find a much better quality casting and paint job here on this sight for a fraction of that price id recomend keeping an eye on the cargo hold and really looking around on this forum for the information on different buckets, you will quickly discover some much better much cheaper options

Look in the Boba Fett Helmet section here on the forums and scroll through the threads. There are several paint up threads that will tell you a lot and there are also comparative threads throughout the forum.

Once you find a helpful thread be sure to look at the very bottom for similar threads, there are sometimes great suggestions there.........other times it is 15 year old threads with no real benefit, but hey we can't win them all.

also............the paint job on the helmet in the link is not even close to the asking price. I bought one here on the forum with a MUCH better (but not perfect) paint job for $400 usd

I am currently painting my own helmet and it is surprisingly easy using RafalFett's templates and using the Boba Fett Helmet tutorial on YouTube by Blaidon Props. I modified his color palette slightly, but I am using Humbrols like he is. He really lays the process out nicely. I am a visual person and really need to see someone doing something to get it.

But honestly, I owe my entire paint job to RafalFett. It has only required slight rescaling as well as a bit of looking at actual reference pictures, but without RafalFett's stencils, I could not have even tried this. Like I said in another thread, I went from a guy who didn't own an airbrush to a guy who is custom mixing paints. The great thing about this forum is that you can stand on the shoulders of giants. Most of the really hard work and research has already been done. I can't imagine what it would have been like to pull a Fett costume together in the 90's.

So given that you can paint your own, all you have to worry about it buying a cast. There are several guys here who make great casts. Search around. I would name names, but I don't want to tick someone off by leaving their name off. I will say that mine is a FPH2 made by Fett Pride who is no longer making them. I started with the eBay route and the FPH2 is really night and day. Wasteland is currently making casts off of that mold. I like the FPH2 the best because I have a huge head. My hat size is 7 3/4.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back