Hello from NJ!

strummer77

New Hunter
Hello all!

My name is Tom, and I am a lifelong Star Wars geek here in southern NJ. Since I was a kid, I had dreams of walking around in a Boba Fett or Darth Vader costume, just for fun and killing it at Halloween parties. I recently had the displeasure of owning a Rubies Supreme Vader kit. The set was actually pretty nice, given the rep that Rubies has, but my 5'10", 160 lb stature just couldn't fill out the suit right. I didn't think it was worth it to make all of the modifications necessary to come close to pulling it off and being satisfied. I then figured I'd be better off with my favorite bounty hunter. I've been doing some research, and I really want to do this right. Unfortunately, I'm already getting discouraged. It seems like good lids are hard to come by easily, as well as the jetpacks, and that's where I was going to start my build.

Any suggestions for getting a legitimate helmet and jetpack to start me off? Once I get those, I figured everything else would be relatively painless. I have never built anything like this before, and in terms of painting things, well, I've painted the walls in my house and that's about it!

I look forward to hearing from you all. It looks like I'm surrounded by some really good, really cool people in here... should be fun!!!

Thanks!!!

Im FROM South Jersey too....havent lived there in about 11 and a half years though.

Welcom aboard. Fettpride for helmet maybe Jetpack depending on your budget maybe Man Of Wars...

Welcome! Im guessing your screenname is Joe Strummer related? :)

Yea you have options for helmets and jetpacks. For helmets, you have Animefan, BobaMaker, ASOK, Fettpride, and i also make helmets. All of these makers are fiberglass helmets except ASOK, his are cold cast resin. For jetpacks, MOW is likely your best bet at this time. NME props also make a decent pack, as well as Bobamaker and RS props Fettpride also does Jetpacks but i believe he isnt taking orders on those at this time.

On your journey to being the most bad ass bounty hunter, you will find that some parts are harder to get, but dont let that discourage you. Patience is key in this hobby! Patience finding a part and patience with the makers, as most do this as a side thing and have day jobs etc so their individual time lines vary usually from a few weeks to a few months, sometimes longerdepending on the maker. That said, all the makers i listed are reputable sellers and you should have no issues with them.

If you have an questions or concerns feel free to post em up, there is a wealth of knowledgeable folks here willing to help you on your way!

Welcome and good luck on your build. One bit of advice is to fix your budget before you start, especially if you are not going to use this for 501st but just casual parties. While we all would like 100% realistic, your budget should come first as well as assessing your own skills at making parts yourself.

Thank you all for the warm welcome!

Fett 4 Real... you're not missing anything here! We've been trying to get out of NJ for the past couple of years.

Darth Voorhees... yep, definitely Joe Strummer related. One of my heroes growing up... gone way too soon. I was really digging his solo stuff before he passed.

So far, I've printed off some templates for armor and gauntlets, ordered a blaster, cape and Wookie braids from Molon Labe, just about finished the ammo belt with the help of Batninja's tutorial and my fiancee's sewing machine skills, and was "gifted" a Rubies Supreme set from a friend that didn't want it. Most of it is garbage, but surprisingly, the helmet is workable. The paint job is beyond horrendous, but it's got a good shape and size to it, and I've already sanded and primed it up. I think I can make it work!

I've only been on here 4 weeks, but I have been blown away by the encouragement and friendliness of everyone here. I am also amazed at the wealth of information available. I am having a lot of fun so far... it's really taking me back to my youth and revitalizing my Star Wars geekdom. Infinite gratitude to The Dented Helmet gang!

For helmets, you have Animefan, Darth Voorhees, ASOK, Bobamaker and Fettpride. All of these makers are fiberglass helmets except ASOK, his are cold cast resin. For jetpacks FettSeven or NME props(same jetpack), Bobamaker, Fettpride, or RS Prop masters.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back