Heavy Infantry Build

omooney

New Hunter
Hi Guys, It's been a while. I've been on and off active on the RPF for years and had an account on this forum years back that must have been deleted due to inactivity but I've got a few builds under my belt and am back because the Heavy Infantry Mandalorian looks amazing and I mean to build one.

With next-to-zero 3d modeling skills, If I cant find an existing model I usually draw patterns and blueprints or start with something close and then sculpt my way there. so for this build I purchased a helmet model from ffd_crafts which i'm 3d printing now. The model isn't perfect but I think its close enough that I should be able to get it the rest of the way with a bit of sanding and bondo.

For the armor, I traced some reference images in illustrator, and then after a few rounds of printing transferring to foam, editing the drawing reprinting etc. I've began to work out some foam templates. heres what they look like now some of it assumes some beveled cuts but I think i'm getting close, we'll see after I pick up some more supplies.

Attachments

• heavy-infantry-mandalorian_star-wars_silo-01.jpg
    heavy-infantry-mandalorian_star-wars_silo-01.jpg
    599 KB · Views: 3,845
  • HI_Mando_Chest_Sketch.jpg
    HI_Mando_Chest_Sketch.jpg
    493.8 KB · Views: 2,662
I'm really happy with the way the helmet printed out. I'm going to do a little bondo and finish work on the main bucket to get it closer to screen accurate before adding the earcaps but overall i'm really pleased.

IMG_0675.jpg
IMG_0676.jpg
IMG_0677.jpg
IMG_0688 (1).jpg
IMG_0697.jpg

I've also gone ahead and cut out and did some preforming on the foam parts for the chest armor while I wait for some more contact cement to come in the mail. From what I can tell they seem to be the right size and shape but we'll see once we get them all glued up.

IMG_0693.jpg
IMG_0696.jpg

Awesome work!! I’m doing mine out of foam. I’ve got my helmet done and working on painting it, but the armor was worrying me. Your templates are great!

Awesome work!! I’m doing mine out of foam. I’ve got my helmet done and working on painting it, but the armor was worrying me. Your templates are great!
Awesome! I still haven’t gotten a chance to assemble my stuff because I had to order some heaters for the garage since my wife isn’t a fan of me using Barge cement in the house... something about fumes ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Awesome! I still haven’t gotten a chance to assemble my stuff because I had to order some heaters for the garage since my wife isn’t a fan of me using Barge cement in the house... something about fumes ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I’m banished to the garage as well. I’ve got a space heater right next to my work bench but the power strip doesn’t like me to leave it on when I use the heat gun.

I've already posted this in another build on here but in case you hadn't seen it, sideshow collectables are releasing a figure very soon and are taking pre orders now.
I know there not always totally accurate to work from but thought it's worth mentioning as even the pics on the website might help?
Cheers Marcus.

I've already posted this in another build on here but in case you hadn't seen it, sideshow collectables are releasing a figure very soon and are taking pre orders now.
I know there not always totally accurate to work from but thought it's worth mentioning as even the pics on the website might help?
Cheers Marcus.
Thanks! I used some of their images during my research even though they're not 100% accurate, they help fill in the blanks in the screen referecnces for sure!

After quite the hiatus I am back to working on this project.
Heres the chest greeblies I modeled and printed, I've got some sanding and finishing to do on them yet but I think the dimensions and proportions are pretty darn close.

Attachments

• Chest greeblies.jpg
    Chest greeblies.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 211
Glad to see your back at it, really interested in how you put this together . Judging by the helmet print I’d say your off to a great start. Those chest greebs look really good too.

This is excellent, I have a question, have you found the paint codes for all the armor parts, I can not find the proper paint codes for them.

omooney
Not gonna lie, this looks freaking amazing! Looking forward to your progress and end result.

Concerning mattman1138 ‘s comment of:
Heavy Sanding and primer that fills worked for my pulce. But yea bondo could work too lol

I’m going to be using this stuff called “XTC-3D”, which is a product by a company called Smooth-On for my ABS Printed EE-3 today or tomorrow, I’m doing a ROTJ Hero build myself. But I’ll letcha know how it goes. (y)

-Iron

omooney
Not gonna lie, this looks freaking amazing! Looking forward to your progress and end result.

Concerning mattman1138 ‘s comment of:

I’m going to be using this stuff called “XTC-3D”, which is a product by a company called Smooth-On for my ABS Printed EE-3 today or tomorrow, I’m doing a ROTJ Hero build myself. But I’ll letcha know how it goes. (y)

-Iron
Can't wait to see those results, Iron!

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back