Heat to the Helm

Drax

Hunter
Looking around I've seen a lot of helmets that are made of resin, cold cast resin, and cold cast fiberglass. I'm wondering what heat will do to these materials in the way of deforming them. More specifically what happens when the materials are exposed to open flame or just ambient heat. Such as being left in a car on a hot summer day. Obviously I don't plan on playing near open flames when wearing a helmet but you never know what will happen with a flamethrower.

Resin helmets left in a hot area could deform...like theres stories of resin jetpacks deforming in a garage....fiberglass is less likely to be affected...but the coldcast bit might over time separate from the FG....as its not gelcoat.

....fiberglass is less likely to be affected...but the coldcast bit might over time separate from the FG....as its not gelcoat.

....unless the coldcast is done with polyester resin like Animefan does... same as gelcoat, just with the aluminum powder in it :) Im pretty sure Animefans helmet could actually withstand battle! (not really, but maybe! lol)

Would be kinda cool to see someone take an acetylene torch to a few lids to document the stages of damage though, just for research purposes, just not to my lids, lol.

So since the cold cast fiberglass seems to be less affected by heat, what are some of the other benefits and negatives of it? The reason I ask is I saw that Cruzer is offering some fantastic looking gauntlet kits that are fiberglass with a gel coat and I was wondering if waiting for a cold cast set would be worth it. Also I don't plan on torching my helmet when I get it either lol. Although if I do ever end up with extra armor plates I had intended on shooting them with rubber bullets to see if they would crack or break. Not while wearing them of course.

The helmet I have is a cold cast fiberglass animefan helmet and I can attest to its quality. It just has a nice amount of helf and durability to it that i don't see in resin helmets that I have held from other mandos in my group. Me and friend both dropped our helmets one time by accident at about a 4ft drop on a hotel convention floor tile and his right cheek snapped right off and mine remained intact. my helmet developed a small hair line crack externally but internally the gel coat remained intact and held up the helmet together with out fear of breaking completely, it has a little felx, but nothing iam worried about been on several troops since out in the 90degree sun and cold. lol also had a small automatic traffic stop hit me square on the head when wearing my helmet in a hotel parking garage, alot of cars were passing through the parking garage when I was walking through and i guess it didnt register my movement and it hit me on the head. my helmet only developed a 2 in scratch. lol

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back