Gauntlet Laser

So I trooped a fellow troopers daughters birthday party this weekend. It was in a pretty dark room (too dark with my lenses). Boba looked pretty amazing lit up with the chest, Jetpack beacon, servo, and gauntlet light.

As I was in there getting shot with lasers all I could think of was how incredibly awesome it would be to be able to swap out my existing flamethrower lights with a laser.

So today, I spent the day researching various lasers. The complicated part is finding the ones that will show the beam. Each laser performs differently. I will probably end up going with a green laser because green is a more visible laser to the human eye. I have not given up on red but I will make an order here soon one way or another. I will need a diode module so it can fit into the original flamethrower.

I was wondering if anyone else has done this before, and if so to what success and if so any advice.

Once everything arrives I will post all the info for anyone else interested. Next time boba is in a dark room he won't let 10 year olds light him up without fshooting back!!

Be EXTREMELY careful with lasers, especially since they can cause eye damage. That's been the biggest downfall to people using them in lieu of LEDs.

I am doing the research. FCC says I can legally use up to 5mw no problem. It's when you get stronger than that it can hurt eyes.

For instance they use 1mw to play laser tag . And if you go above 10mw like at concerts you can only shine up in the sky.

I am going to stay within the FCCs guidelines for safety.

I am determined to get this done and safely. I will share the information here for anyone else ever interested

Sent from a galaxy far far away

Lasers of any color are only visible when they hit something, the Hollywood visible laser is a farce, unless you have a medium in the way like smoke, fog or dust. Still an interesting idea, look forward to seeing more.

Lasers of any color are only visible when they hit something, the Hollywood visible laser is a farce, unless you have a medium in the way like smoke, fog or dust. Still an interesting idea, look forward to seeing more.

Not completely true, there is something called Rayleigh Scattering "Rayleigh scattering refers to the scattering of light off of the molecules of the air, and can be extended to scattering from particles up to about a tenth of the wavelength of the light. It is Rayleigh scattering off the molecules of the air which gives us the blue sky" this is the reason I need a Green laser to be used to take advantage of this, google it to learn more.

Also, I have a green laser I ordered off amazon and I can see it in my living room under artificial lighting and outside at night it looks like something the Green Lantern would be using. That's what I am going for and why I ordered the same mW that the laser one I have it. Of course in the sun it wouldn't work so it would need to be indoors or at night/evening but I will just time it right like I do whenever I decide to use my SERVO.

Sounds cool, please do report back!

Will do, and will post video once I get it working. I have several laser modules ordered and will test them all to see which mW gives the best visible beam once they come in. The guy I spoke with today only deals with lasers and has been for 25 years. He understood exactly what I am going to use it for and is sending me his recommendation (I have others ordered from elsewhere).

Will report back no worries

Not completely true, there is something called Rayleigh Scattering "Rayleigh scattering refers to the scattering of light off of the molecules of the air, and can be extended to scattering from particles up to about a tenth of the wavelength of the light. It is Rayleigh scattering off the molecules of the air which gives us the blue sky" this is the reason I need a Green laser to be used to take advantage of this, google it to learn more.

Also, I have a green laser I ordered off amazon and I can see it in my living room under artificial lighting and outside at night it looks like something the Green Lantern would be using. That's what I am going for and why I ordered the same mW that the laser one I have it. Of course in the sun it wouldn't work so it would need to be indoors or at night/evening but I will just time it right like I do whenever I decide to use my SERVO.

Awesome, I stand corrected. I'll have to check this out myself! Drive on man!

I have a 5mw red dot in addition to a Luxeon tri star LED in my EE3, so much fun with the kiddos...and the ladies. Lasers are fancy! Go for broke dude!

Sent from my R2 unit

Check out a green sometime also . Big difference in visibility.

i do need to be somewhat surrounded by mist or smoke for the length of the laser to be visible. i was hoping you were going to say they have it in red! [emoji53] unfortunately green just wouldn't look right with the red or blue LED in my ESB EE3. maybe once i build a custom EE3!

Sent from my R2 unit

Any updates??? Im was thinking of putting one in the right gaunt, but i can't find one skinny enough for the beam to come thru the nozzle over the darts on the right gaunt... any suggestions?

Yes it worked marvelously. The beam is only visible in day times indoors with a smoke or low lights.

However for evening and night troops it looks incredible and bright laser that will reach the clouds!

A few mandos saw me shooting it in the air and every single one is going to add it.

I'll try to grab a pic I took if I can

54086161-5549-4F93-8EB3-C9CB6C4BBC93_zpsosbitpoq.jpg

th_0DF7BD03-062D-4EF0-BBA9-7008C15715BD_zpsot9qwxz0.jpg

0DF7BD03-062D-4EF0-BBA9-7008C15715BD_zpsot9qwxz0.mp4 Video by RandySpecht | Photobucket

Try this if the first video didn't work. I took this video back when I completed it. I was so happy but the video just wouldn't show how awesome it was I assume because of the lens flare someone told me? I donno but it's amazing and another addition to my costume.

I used a 50Mw (above FCC standards) and a 5 MW (within FCC standards) so I only shoot the 50 in the air for show.

It's quite impressive at night when trooping you just must be responsible with it not to get into people's eyes.

I am doing a troop this Saturday for the Washington Mystics WNBA and my Clan leader for the Mercs (doing this troop for mercs not my 501st garrison) told me to please take my batteries out so I am not tempted to use it in the Verizon center lol. However he is planning on adding them to his gauntlets too.

Just BE CAREFUL using it if you decide to go with it

Last edited by a moderator:
Any updates??? Im was thinking of putting one in the right gaunt, but i can't find one skinny enough for the beam to come thru the nozzle over the darts on the right gaunt... any suggestions?

I am using Machinecraft aluminum nozzles. I installed the diode behind the nozzle with hot glue (they go into each other by about 1/2" so that is where I applied the glue.

You need to use two AA batteries for each light if you're doing two like me. If it will help anyone I am happy to take a photo of inside my gauntlet or make a video showing the operation.

I wasn't sure how many people were interested in this.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back