Fuller's Earth Weathering

AmatureManga

New Hunter
Hey everyone i'm trying to locate some Fuller's Earth to weather my Galactic Marine armor but i'm having trouble locating it. I know there's some on trooperbay however i only need some dark an light gray weathering on my armor so if i buy the trooperbay pack i wont be using the cocoa brown or the sand and i feel its a waste to buy the 3 pack if i'm only using the slate. Does anyone know where i can find the slate alone and a lighter gray fuller's earth to buy along with it?

most kitty litter is a variant of fullers earth chunks ... if you get some of the cheaper stuff its grey ... grind it down and its perfect ... and cheaper.

most kitty litter is a variant of fullers earth chunks ... if you get some of the cheaper stuff its grey ... grind it down and its perfect ... and cheaper.

Hmm that's an option i didnt even think of, what about actual art sand that was another method i was thinking of. Like spraying on some odorless hairspray and splashing on some and dark and light gray colored sand. Would either of these methods be a permanent weathering?

I wouldn't use sand and hairspray myself, though you could experiment, it would need to be sealed to stop the sand slowly falling off.
I like to use either artist pastels, the chalk variety (also needs sealing) or model powders which you can buy as single colours; Mig pigments are a great brand.

I wouldn't use sand and hairspray myself, though you could experiment, it would need to be sealed to stop the sand slowly falling off.
I like to use either artist pastels, the chalk variety (also needs sealing) or model powders which you can buy as single colours; Mig pigments are a great brand.
@TheZeroEffect i looked into the modeling powder and i was able to find some specifically made for weathering armor however it comes in 30ml bottles. Do you know if they sell it in larger bottles then that? Or will i have to buy multiple bottles for each color i'm gonna use. Also when you use modeling powder do you seal it after?

Always seal any weathering you do.
You shouldn't need to use as much as you think in the pigment, unlike the fuller's earth (which is just powdered clay). those 30ml bottle can go a long way, as you can mix them into a paste to get greater control ( it will dry to look like powder again) or dry powder on raised areas to gain definition.
As long as you get the pigment and not just weather powder, as weathering powder is premixed pigment with a medium.
If you do want fullers earth, try health shops, they sell it for mud facial washes or the like, some shops should have different types of clays also. E.g. Fuller's Earth 50g - Buy Fuller's earth from our UK herbal shop at Woodland Herbs
Also try you local Art supply shop, as they should have powder pigments or the like.

Always seal any weathering you do.
You shouldn't need to use as much as you think in the pigment, unlike the fuller's earth (which is just powdered clay). those 30ml bottle can go a long way, as you can mix them into a paste to get greater control ( it will dry to look like powder again) or dry powder on raised areas to gain definition.
As long as you get the pigment and not just weather powder, as weathering powder is premixed pigment with a medium.
If you do want fullers earth, try health shops, they sell it for mud facial washes or the like, some shops should have different types of clays also. E.g. Fuller's Earth 50g - Buy Fuller's earth from our UK herbal shop at Woodland Herbs
Also try you local Art supply shop, as they should have powder pigments or the like.
TheZeroEffect can you send me links to pigments and powders you recommend so i know what to look for in my local art store?

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know if this helps any but I've been using Earth Colors Liquid Pigments by Woodland Scenics for around 10 years. I've used it on everything from my Fett, TD, other things I needed to weather. Comes in lots of colors. It's not a powder (clearly by the name) but it's an option.

I don't know if this helps any but I've been using Earth Colors Liquid Pigments by Woodland Scenics for around 10 years. I've used it on everything from my Fett, TD, other things I needed to weather. Comes in lots of colors. It's not a powder (clearly by the name) but it's an option.

thanks ill look into it

shortimer52 thanks for showing that to me, after looking at them i decided to go with woodland scenics pigments thanks.

No stress. Old farts like myself are useful from time to time. Just happy I could help.
shortimer52 let me ask you something though when your using the pigments because it's a liquid i wont have to use odorless hairspray like you have to use with weathering powders and fuller's earth right? It's just dab it on with a sponge brush and rub off the majority of it with paper towel or old rag, sandpaper it and then repeat for each pigment i'm using.

What I do depends on the project and how many nook and spaces it has. With the Fett stuff, to include the JP I take a damp sponge (not much moisture at all) and dab it on to make a radome pattern, although if you wanted you can make a pattern with the stuff. I'm not talking about pouring it on but make sure you have thick and thin spots. It might pool up in some areas but that's ok. Let it dry, it won't take long if you put it in the sun.

With another semi damp sponge (I like using a sock) dab it off until you like what you see. This takes a while. Like I said not much moisture on the sponge. I then use Dull Cote to seal it in. If it comes off in some spots just reapply and dab off again careful you don't take off what you already had.

You can layer it that away also with different colors. Dull Cote, add new color, Dull Cote again, etc. That's how I did my TD and my Beehive bucket.

For something like the blaster I mixed a small batch of the stuff with water in a spray bottle so it would get in all the cracks. Very little water is needed and I used one of those hand size spray bottles. Although I bet you could air brush it on without mixing water. Dabbed what I wanted off, dull cote, and then dabbed over that for the high surfaces, dull cote, etc.

It will take some practice so give it a few shots before you dull cote it. Also if you don't like any of it you can wipe it all off with water. It's just dirt.

If you have any problems let me know and I can walk you through the process. I have Army stuff to do but I can help in between. One bottle of each color should be more the enough. BUT, whatever is the main color, background color is I would get 2 just in case. And you'll use it on other props. One bottle lasted me 3 chest armor repaints, 2 gauntlet repaints, 2 JP repaints. But my TD armor I used 2 bottles for the background color. 2 bottles will also give you some practice room.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.