First scratch build attempt

robotzo

Jr Hunter
Ive finally decided to share my progress on my first Fett helmet. This is my first time doing work like this so I'm making plenty of mistakes along the way lol. Ive been using RafalFett's awesome templates. Any feedback will be much appreciated. Current state is rough.
U9D0dE8.jpg

7ChKx2b.jpg

DOVAsiQ.jpg

Grimstuff

Hunter
That looks pretty damn good for the stage it's in. Nice plasticine clay ball too.

One little critique I can provide though; one of your forehead arrows is a bit lower than the other. They seem to be one of the few things that are pretty perfectly symmetrical in the references.

Good luck with the cheeks and faceplate, took me forever to get them as straight and smooth as I wanted.

robotzo

Jr Hunter
That looks pretty damn good for the stage it's in. Nice plasticine clay ball too.

One little critique I can provide though; one of your forehead arrows is a bit lower than the other. They seem to be one of the few things that are pretty perfectly symmetrical in the references.

Good luck with the cheeks and faceplate, took me forever to get them as straight and smooth as I wanted.
Thanks! And Ill definitely fix the arrows soon. Ive been struggling to get the dome to a good, smooth shape that I haven't focused much on anything else lol. I'm not looking forward to the cheeks at all.

Demmoc

Hunter
looks good so far! I notice that when looking at it straight on the dome looks higher on the left side. Since you're using bondo I hope you're using an electric sander and not trying to sand that by hand. I love my variable speed oscillating multi-tool sander for this type of project. I also took some metal flashing and bent it in a curve to apply my bondo. That way you get a more even application. Took me several relatively thin coats to get one of my sides built up before I was happy. Be patient and keep working on it! You have a great start so far!

Artakha

Active Hunter
Wow not sure how i missed this but looks great!!! Reminds me of my scratch-builds, the second one of which I ended up molding.

robotzo

Jr Hunter
Thanks guys. At first I was sanding everything by hand. Even though Ive been working on this for almost two months, I just got an orbital sander last week. I'm still a little rough with it but hoping to get the shape of the dome as best I can.

Artakha

Active Hunter
Thanks guys. At first I was sanding everything by hand. Even though Ive been working on this for almost two months, I just got an orbital sander last week. I'm still a little rough with it but hoping to get the shape of the dome as best I can.
Wow dedication! The new tool will come in handy i'm sure.

Edit: Is that a gundam poster with Amuro Ray in the background there?

robotzo

Jr Hunter
Wow dedication! The new tool will come in handy i'm sure.

Edit: Is that a gundam poster with Amuro Ray in the background there?
Good eye, but both pics are actually drawings. The gundam by another artist and the one on the left by me.