Finished! Bobamaker jet pack ROTJ se paint up WIP

terminal fettler

Active Hunter
Started work on this a couple of weeks ago. So far i have primed the pack white which will serve as a base colour for when i start layering, replaced the cross head fixings with slotted screws, fitted the aluminium beacon and stabalizer and painted and fitted the greeblies. The greeblie to the left in the recess has been modified to resemble reference pictures and the push button on the left underside has been replaced with a working button to operate a white LED in the beacon. First colour has been added to the rocket which i will paint next...

HUMBROL COLOUR LIST and a brief order of how i painted the JP...

Rocket top: silver 11
Rest of JP: white primer
Rocket top: liquid mask silver, air brush clear red 1321 mixed with clear yellow 1322, darken by adding black 33 towards base
Rocket lower: liquid mask white, shade grey 72, darken towards top by adding black 33 then splatter with darkened mix
JP blue sections: liquid mask white, airbrush silver 11, liquid mask silver, airbrush blue 109
JP yellow sections: same process as blue sections, but with yellow 154, darken/ shade with clear yellow 1322
JP white sections/ thrusters: same as above but with white 34, shaded with grey 72
JP red sections: same as above but with red 73, shaded with grey 32 and grey 32 and black 33 mix
JP symbols: black 33 mixed with brown 62 brushed on
Weathering: initial shading with grey 32, then shaded with grey 32 and black 33 mix
Final shading/ splatter with grey 32 and brown 62 mix

DSCF0001_182.JPG

DSCF0002_181.JPG

DSCF0003_160.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
OMG a TF Jetpack paintup!!! Im am going to keep my eye on this one! I owe so much of my painting techniques to this man! Subscribed!!

Here is the finished rocket, layered using Humbrol paints including a couple of translucent colours i haven't used before, these had the desired effect...

DSCF0002_190.JPG

Quite enjoyed masking the pack ready for the next stage. Used Tamiya tape for the edge and filled out with expensive 3M blue decorators tape.

DSCF0001_192.JPG

Thought so! This will be a great resource for how to paint the ROTJ pack for sure. Seen a lot of lid paint ups, but not a lot of these.

So finally got around to adding the blue sections on the JP. Firstly I masked off the base white detail, then airbrushed the silver, then masked the silver/ white damage, then airbrushed the blue. During this process the finer scratches were not masked. These were scratched through the paint after airbrushing. This is the same process I use when painting a helmet, although the damage on the JP appears to be partly scratches through the paint layers and certainly more erratic than the helmet. Because of this I have been less concerned with complete accuracy, more over trying to achieve the general feel of the JP...

DSCF0004_173.JPG

DSCF0006_139.JPG

DSCF0008_108.JPG

DSCF0011_69.JPG

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back