ESB Flightsuit Dye Recipe

Cadet

Active Hunter
I'm getting ready to dye a new flightsuit for my ESB Boba and I have down a lot of digging and reading on the dye colors, but many of the threads I have found have been several years old. With the tendency of companies to tweak dye lots, formulations, and colors, I was just wondering if anyone had dyed an ESB flight suit recently, and if RIT Evening Blue and Pearl Gray are still the best mix? Additionally, what ratio did you use and did you get liquid dye for both of them?

I used Dylon powdered dye, since it doesn't require boiling hot water. The “antique grey” colour is nearly perfect, though you can mix in some navy blue if you want the suit a bit bluer. Experiment on a scrap of cloth if you're worried, but the process is easier than I expected. It's best to tint it several times until you reach the shade you want.

I used an old wash tub filled with tap water from the hose and 4 cap fulls of the evening blue. Then I mixed a spray bottle of grimy water and sprayed it while it was still wet. This faded it and gave it a first layer of weathering.

I got a lonestar suit and it was a cool color blue but just too clean and perfect looking...it was also too dark. I ended up lightly bleaching the suit to damage it a bit and give it some inconsistancies. Then I stripped the color with RIT color remover. Then I got a big plastic tub and re-dyed the suit with 2 packs of the Dylon Fabric dye powder in "China Blue" note that I only used 2 packs when for a full dye would have really needed 3 packs. I followed the instructions and let it air dry. Then I got it damp again and did the normal weathering with blacks Browns and greys with acrylic paints using my airbrush and hand.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Here's a picture after it was weathered...I'm not finished just yet...I need to add more black at the bottom by the boots.

image.jpeg

Okay, so I decided to split the difference between Blue and Gray and went with one packet of Rit "Pearl Gray" powder and one packet of Dylon "China Blue. Flight started as white, for reference.

This is the flightsuit outside in Natural light with no Flash:
Flightsuit Outside 2.jpg
Flightsuit Outside.jpg

Inside with flash under incandescent bulbs:
Inside flash.jpg

Inside with no flash under incandescent bulbs:
Inside no flash.jpg

It's hard to tell if it looks right with all the different looks depending on available light conditions. FWIW, I used only Pearl Grey and lots of weathering.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back