It is good to see you back, Ord Mantell, and that you ended up being able to finish this project and absolutely knock it out of the park!
Just only now reading this thread and I just wanted to stop by and tell you what you probably already know.So got a little distracted lately. My 70 lbs golden retriever puppy managed to somehow wedge himself behind my existing ROTJ costume display and knocked it over. Several things on it broke, so after my initial shock was over, I took it as an opportunity to fix a bunch of stuff I've been wanting to fix on it anyway. Of course, the list of things to do kept getting longer and it became a major project in it's own right.
Here's a pic of the pre-accident display. It's okay. Not bad.
View attachment 191776
Fettpride v3 armor. MoW gauntlets. Chris Bartlett's (aka TK-409) homemade flightsuit he used for trooping until he upgraded to a suit by Daz (aka Bobamaker). The flak vest is by Daz and the neckseal is by Mrs. TK-409. Woodman leather ammo belt. Jango Wes boots, etc.
So I wanted to change out the flightsuit, the flak vest, the neck seal to other versions I already had in storage, repaint the gauntlets because the original paintjob was too dark and purplish and always looked almost black in photos. The girth belt needed a re-dye to be more saturated. The gloves had faded so much over time they now looked all white, so they needed a re-color. The number of wookie braids is a little overboard. I had based those on the exhibits rather than the film, so I'm now more interested in matching the on-screen look, so take out anything not on screen. I also wanted to replace the fettpride shoulders with MinuteFett's new lineage shoulders, but the biggest thing was to change out the 6'1" mannequin with a shorter, proper height manny. Seemed like a manageable list. At first. But, boy, did it end up taking a lot of time.
The helmet is the one painted by Fettpride back in 2004 and was probably the first hyper-detailed ROTJ paintup ever done, and I can't imagine it's not one of the best ROTJ replicas in existence. The detail is just amazing. It must be seen in person to really appreciate it.
View attachment 191777 View attachment 191778
I have no idea what type of helmet it is. Fettpride remained coy about that. He never told me. I'm sure someone here knows. But it's big. Thankfully the helmet was not damaged in the puppy disaster....
so I did a quick test-fit of on the new 5'10" manny to see if I could get a decent pose. I used a mannequin that had several busted joints that I ended up having to repair, so it gave me some issues getting the exact pose I wanted. At some point I will probably replace it, but for now it works.
View attachment 191780 View attachment 191781
I like the shorter stature. The proportions just feel better. Nothing else new yet except the tk-409 flak vest.
So now all the work. I had to add 're-color the flak vest and neck seal' to the list. I didn't really take any photos of the process, but the end results are a much better representation of the character than what it was before I think. I have to say I really like the lineage shoulders from MinuteFett. They are way better than the fan sculpts I've seen. Except there is a problem in the left shoulder, where on the middle corner on the front side is very soft and curled in. That's not exactly accurate. You have to heat gun it back into shape if you want it to look correct. I did an okay job. Probably could be better.
So DONE! Until the next disaster....
View attachment 191782 View attachment 191783
View attachment 191784 View attachment 191785
View attachment 191786
Now I can get back to the ESB display...
HiThe $6.92 borden came today from Amazon.
View attachment 193339
turned into a useful experiment. I learned that cutting with a dremel was no problem.
View attachment 193340
The metal took on a brassy hue in the interior, though. However... putting it next to the borden on the MF hero-sized raw helmet...
View attachment 193341
it's not a bad match. will need a new dremel tip to get a little simulated chamfering on the holes. Interesting. Not a bad 'economy' option.
Looks like this was already done a couple years ago by Fettastic in his thread here: Borden Connector Found Part Orientation . Gino even chimes in to the thread to say he thinks they used custom machined replicas made of aluminum. I'll probably go the route of a machined one, myself, so I can get the proper finish.
Sounds like prudent advice. Not sure I'm going to go further with this piece in particular because the finish is wrong as far as I can tell. However, I think if one wants to have a correct-looking borden and not pay the higher price for a specially machined one, a better approach is to buy this two hole borden:I would try to get the chamfering done without a dremel first.