Eliminating girth belt bleed

GeekdadX7

Hunter
well that was easy, only took 15 minutes of my time and cost $8. Honestly why hasn’t this been a thing?

This past weekend my family and I went to the LA Zoo in star wars costumes, it was flippin awesome. Boba fett chasing around a little toddler sized han solo and princess leia. Great time... but one problem. RKD’s girth belt bled all the hell over my jumpsuit. I was in shock because it was his personal girth belt, wouldn’t think it’d bleed. The entire mid section of my jumpsuit is pretty much ruined despite multiple washes, scrubs, whatever.

Have to suck it up and wear it all again for my daughter’s school harvest festival though because they are having a star wars themed game booth so i was volunteered.

Started looking in the forums on what to do about bleed from the dye in the belt and the only method given it seems is “rinse the belt in cold water over and over and over... and eventually the bleeding stops... eventually.”

Well at home depot for $8 you can buy acan of “scotch guard heavy duty water shield.”

It’s used to spray boots, jackets, canvas, to soak in and make them water resistant.

Welp... it also sprays onto and soaks into a girth belt like a charm. Didn’t discolor mine, and i just dumped a dixie cup of water on it and the water ran right off of it in beads. Preeeeetty confident that’s not going to bleed now. No moisture is getting to it.

Will let you know for certain on friday after the festival, i’llbe out there for 4 hours in 90 degree weather. Seems really promising though.

Rossy

New Hunter
Awesome idea...I haven't worn mine yet after dying it a month or so ago so I think I will pick up a can and coat it down. Thanks for the tip!

WTFett

Hunter
Do you know what stain was used originally? I used minwax for mine and once it dried, it never bled.

GeekdadX7

Hunter
Do you know what stain was used originally? I used minwax for mine and once it dried, it never bled.
I have absolutely no idea. I was just really surprised that it bled all over the jumpsuit because it wasn’t a new belt. *shrug*