EFX PCR BOBA FETT - COSMETIC AND PAINT UPGRADE


jhfagan

Hunter
Hell with it...I'm doing it.
I held off for a while, but, it's just time.
eFX........you were SOOOO close with this one, and dropped the ball big time, forcing me to finish it right, right?
Well, ok, starting with sealing up the outward visible gaps in the plastic pieces with thin bead of clear silicone.
When silicone is dry, will lightly sand smooth and paint over with some minor dark weathering and some brown wash.
Complete all remaining missing paint blurbs, add missing silvers scratches, enhance existing major silver areas ( dent, visor, thumb prints, tape lines below the killstripes....etc.) then a thin layer of blackwash to pull everything together.
Let's see how this goes

20210604_214929.jpg 20210604_215009.jpg 20210604_215047.jpg
 

jhfagan

Hunter
Silicone solution didn't really hold up as well as I was hoping, although it did make a nice seal over the right earpiece, which I 'll leave intact.
The seal between the band and dome "did" work, but I removed pretty much all of it, since it was just breaking off in little rubbery granules when I tried to detail it. It did, however fill most of the smaller gaps, and won't come out.
I proceeded to clean it up, and added layer of Light Aircraft Gray on top rim of band around the helmet, then after dried, carefully applied some brown-wash to emulate rusting.
Letting sit until tomorrow, and completion paint detailing begins.
20210606_215028.jpg 20210606_215125.jpg 20210606_215149.jpg 20210606_215208.jpg
 

jhfagan

Hunter
Interesting. I've never seen the seams sealed in such a way.
I figured it's more flexible than putty or epoxy, and wouldn't crack later.
It's just that you have to the the silicone IN the seams and not laying on the surface.
That's where it'll crumble and string off.
Epoxy would have been a quicker more immediate result...but hey...I've got a disorder or something that I routinely come up with s**t to make my life more difficult. lol
 

jhfagan

Hunter
All "busy" silver scratch and scuff painting is done, thanks to RafalFett's stencils, and more close examination of the 4k film.
The triangles are weathered, the seam of the dome and visor head band is weathered, and even only with that, it's looking league's better already.
This is the potential that eFX had with this piece even just up to here. ( sigh )
Closeups show more detail what was added ( the silver scrapes on the front forehead area, filling in the forward silver dongle at the dent, the grey strip behind the right ear, the yellow smudging on the side of the helmet, the black splattering on dome behind range stalk ).
I've yet to do the white thumb smudges, or the fade strip under the kill stripes, and lastly, correct the orientation of the lines under the right ear piece, and some little gray smatterings here and there.
Will come at those things, and possibly final blackwashing fresh tomorrow.
I've done enough for today.
20210608_155725.jpg 20210608_155741.jpg 20210608_155759.jpg 20210608_155822.jpg 20210608_155850.jpg 20210608_155910.jpg 20210608_155948.jpg 20210608_160004.jpg 20210608_160024.jpg 20210608_160047.jpg 20210608_160114.jpg 20210608_160130.jpg 20210608_160145.jpg 20210608_160209.jpg 20210608_160223.jpg 20210608_160241.jpg
 

jhfagan

Hunter
Updated carbon scoring marks from dent.
Old school art grade compressed charcoal and rub a qtip end on it, then lightly and randomly dab the area that needs more scoring.
20210609_084815.jpg 20210609_085419.jpg 20210609_085429.jpg
 

jhfagan

Hunter
Ok ok ok...I know....pics!!!! lol
So, to the best of my knowledge, all painting for ESB is done.
As many single dots, scrapes, smudges, etc, as I could find pics and/or references for.
I even corrected the reversed design under the right ear piece.
Going to let everything dry and set for 24 hours, then tomorrow, the blackwash and final weathering.
Thanks for bearing with me! : )
20210609_111918.jpg 20210609_111951.jpg 20210609_112020.jpg 20210609_112032.jpg 20210609_112049.jpg 20210609_112118.jpg 20210609_112132.jpg 20210609_112149.jpg 20210609_112330.jpg
 
Last edited:

jhfagan

Hunter
DONE and DONE!

Ok...got the final bits of weathering, blackwashing, and light satin clear coat on last night, dried thoroughly, and using 1000g sandpaper, took the granule edge of the clear coat smooth and it now finishes in the light perfectly.
Last couple shots close ups of most of the updated paint elements, and finally a side by side from original form, to upgraded.
Like I said, just takes some love, and a skilled hand, and the eFX helm has everything else going for it!

Final eFX Boba Fett PCR upgrade finished!
01.jpg 02.jpg 03.jpg 04.jpg 05.jpg 06.jpg 07.jpg 08.jpg 09.jpg 10.jpg 11.jpg
 
Last edited:

jhfagan

Hunter
That came out really well!
Thanks!
I still have to give all credit to our illustrious member Fett 4 Real for the amazing paint job he provided eFX with, or this thing wouldn't have been what it became.
I humbly stand on his shoulders as I only completed what eFX removed of his work, and I stand on the physical direct lineage that eFX's version is.
Suffice to say, I am completely happy to have what is to me, the best and closest accuracy ESB - proper helm for the original $399 price tag to buy the helmet, and a few hours of my time.
 
Top