Drax ROTJ wip

Drax

Hunter
Well it looks like it’s finally time for me to start a build thread. I'm going to just show the helmet for now since it's the only thing that is close to being completed. For the helmet, I got an Animefan premium helmet and had AFFO$ paint it for me. I also got a hollow aluminum stalk from Mojo_skywalker on ebay since I wasn’t too fond of the resin one. The dental files on the back are 3d printed from Toolguy. They seem a bit large but I don’t have any real ones to compare them to. Not yet at least!

20170224_215820.jpg20170224_215828.jpg20170224_215843.jpg20170224_215847.jpg

The rangefinder has a Jc27 self-contained light kit in it as well.

20170224_215928.jpg

When I was attaching the servo, I ended up putting magnets in the ear cap to hold it on. I was originally skeptical of this and wanted to use screws but after doing it I have no worries at all.

20170224_215955.jpg

I also used magnets to attach the Perspex block to the rangefinder.

20170220_225438.jpg20170220_225450.jpg

Now for the inside of the bucket. I had Crumdum make a power system consisting of four fans and a servo power hookup. This way it will all run on one rechargeable battery and will save me some space in the helmet. The battery is set up to have to power connectors on it. I can put it in one of the hip pouches or a thigh pocket and power my chest lights and mic system (so I can hear people) at the same time I power everything in my helmet. That way I’m not using dozens of AA batteries for every troop.

20170224_220314.jpg20170224_220304.jpg20170224_220332.jpg

I put a chin strap in it as well. I know the orange buckles are not accurate but I like the color and it won’t be seen so why not add a personal touch. For that matter the chin cup isn’t accurate either. I put in some military helmet padding which is attached with the industrial strength Velcro. I used the Velcro to hold everything in place as well. All of the fans, the battery, and the wireless receiver for the servo are held with Velcro. I did end up having to hot glue the servo itself in due to the Velcro thickness causing problems.
Next, I’m going to put a mic to attach to my aker inside the helmet since I have a huge head and the headset that came with the aker is very uncomfortable when the helmet is on. I’m going to get a wireless mic and just Velcro it in as well. Then I can put the wireless receiver in the aker and I won’t have any wires attaching me to the helmet normally.
I also want to route the wiring better and secure it better than just using ducktape and I was hoping to get some advice about that. Thanks for reading and I’ll be updating the thread and photos with other stuff I’ve acquired as I finish individual parts.

Sometimes Fett takes side work as well. Such as working in a mortgage warehousing office!

20170224_180428.jpg20170224_180442.jpg20170224_180554.jpg

Did someone say bounties?

20170224_180157.jpg

That look you make when a coworker is cooking some good smelling food.

20170224_180303.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Ok someone tell me how to fix the photo orientation please.

20170224_180428.jpg

20170224_180442.jpg

20170224_180554.jpg

20170224_180157.jpg

20170224_180303.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking very nice Drax! I've used this for connecting to my Aker: Pyle PDWM96 Wireless Microphone https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007L8BQW -- but be warned, hooking to the same power supply as my fans/servo, I got bad feedback in it any time the fans or servo was working. Also, I used a combo of hot glue and some Zap a Gap to secure the wires cleanly. Looking forward to seeing more!

Looks great - can't wait to receive mine from Paul and get started. Celebration is getting close! What was the specific insert you went with?

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks great - can't wait to receive mine from Paul and get started. Celebration is getting close! What was the specific insert you went with?

What insert are you talking about?

- - - Updated - - -

Looking very nice Drax! I've used this for connecting to my Aker: Pyle PDWM96 Wireless Microphone https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007L8BQW -- but be warned, hooking to the same power supply as my fans/servo, I got bad feedback in it any time the fans or servo was working. Also, I used a combo of hot glue and some Zap a Gap to secure the wires cleanly. Looking forward to seeing more!

I'm actually going to let the mic be powered on its own. It has a rechargeable set up and should last for 8-12 hours when fully charged. Heres the one I was planning on getting.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M7RNBL...UTF8&colid=67GFVF2EJ4N0&coliid=I1H2YOR3SHXKC4

Um, you're only showing photos of a helmet... so, helmet inserts - you used a generic military padding. Fair enough.

Sorry Filer I had never heard them called inserts so I wasn't sure what you were talking about. Yes they are just the normal padding. I'm assuming its the basic issued stuff because a friend or mine in the reserves gave them to me and he got them when stationed in Iraq. I had considered getting some aftermarket ones that were a bit softer though.

It's been a bit since the last update but I've been working on my gauntlets. I got a set of fiberglass gauntlets from Cruzer when he did a run last year and I'm very pleased with them. I used piano hinge as the closure but I didn’t use them to actually hinge the gauntlet. This way no hinge is exposed and it gives it a really clean look.

20170327_211507.jpg

I attached the hinges with quick setting epoxy as well. For the flamethrower body, I lined it up where I wanted it and marked it with a sharpie. Then I drilled holes in the shell of the gauntlet and marked the holes on the flamethrower body.

20170327_211602.jpg

20170327_212510.jpg

After drilling them out I was able to put Chicago screws inside of the flamethrower body so that I can access the battery for the electronics inside of it. Getting the screws inside of the body was a bit tricky since I couldn’t get my fingers in such a small opening that far back to my drilled hole. I had to put string through the hole and then put the Chicago screw on the string and tied a washer to the end of the string and pulled the screw to the hole. I also epoxied the Chicago screws in as well. The only thing that's left now is paint and attaching the whipcord launcher and the top hose connector.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back