Darth Maul Bust Commission

shenphong

Active Hunter
This was a commission request for a member earlier this month. Fun project and my first time tackling Darth Maul. I will also be trying out some more "accurate" eyes and will include a tutorial and link to them. Hoping to upload the files for anyone to use as long as the project checks out. My facebook page for more photos:
https://www.facebook.com/The-Irken-Factory-1627203847496612/timeline/

1962884_1115143198513310_3347748402220589830_n_zpsay5orlab.jpg

IMG_5205_zpsbhuotpme.jpg

IMG_5208_zpsm0oddyhb.jpg

IMG_5210_zpsoai6kwuc.jpg

IMG_5215_zpscbltbwny.jpg

IMG_5217_zpsgglltgdq.jpg

IMG_5216_zpswfodc96b.jpg

IMG_5218_zpsiulsqdek.jpg
IMG_5220_zpsiteugnay.jpg
IMG_5222_zpsw1yb0ton.jpg
IMG_5224_zpsoddigmka.jpg
IMG_5227_zps1wo8ap1d.jpg
12080360_1630109373872726_2036104488372095149_o_zpskl8wswx8.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks! A whole lot of fun and looking forward to doing more along with mine with a few nice additions. This was done in the course of 2 days so not too bad.

That looks 100% pro, man. Excellent job. I am also interested in your paint choices as I was considering picking up one of these busts. The sculpt, and now the paint job, are absolutely spot-on.

Thanks guys, I am painting it with a brush, with Liquidtex acrylics. The black is mars black, the horns are mix of brown, umber, yellow, and burnt sienna, the red is actually a mix of several reds of what I had on hand. Its a bit darker than I wanted it actually so for the next bust or my own, I may try something a bit lighter. I'll see if I can find my red combo. I did run a black wash over it to make it "pop" out and dull it down a bit more. Going to topcoat/varnish it later today with a matte coat so hope that won't mess too much with the overall look. Updated my post with the finished shots. Though most of the shots were taken in the evening with poor lighting in the house, so I'll try and get better shots once it's coated and complete done.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys, I am painting it with a brush, with Liquidtex acrylics. The black is mars black, the horns are mix of brown, umber, yellow, and burnt sienna, the red is actually a mix of several reds of what I had on hand. Its a bit darker than I wanted it actually so for the next bust or my own, I may try something a bit lighter. I'll see if I can find my red combo. I did run a black wash over it to make it "pop" out and dull it down a bit more. Going to topcoat/varnish it later today with a matte coat so hope that won't mess too much with the overall look. Updated my post with the finished shots. Though most of the shots were taken in the evening with poor lighting in the house, so I'll try and get better shots once it's coated and complete done.

Do you know where I can pick one of these up? I saw one on eBay the other day but is no longer there. I tried Cyberman on RPF but have not heard back yet.

Sadly no, I have one from Cyberman himself but that was a purchase from a few years back. Just keep hitting him up and he should respond. The ones on ebay are recasts and either people are snapping them up now (they used to pop up much more often) or they are getting removed from people flagging them that they are recasts.

Yeah I was wondering if the one on eBay was a recast but saw it was being sold by a guy named Phil in the UK which I think is possibly Cyberman. Just made me wonder if that was him or not.
Sadly no, I have one from Cyberman himself but that was a purchase from a few years back. Just keep hitting him up and he should respond. The ones on ebay are recasts and either people are snapping them up now (they used to pop up much more often) or they are getting removed from people flagging them that they are recasts.

Ah those, yes that should be from Phil, though its more expensive than just the $100 ones that pop up now and then. Whatever you do though, avoid the terminator busts with the horns, those pop up now and then too.

That looks amazing.

I also have thought about getting one of those. I have just a painted mannequin with the rubber horns from a Rubies mask on which to display my costume.

Those eyes really bring it to life. If you don't mind, where did you get your hands on those???

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back