Counterweight's Second ROTJ Cardboard Scratch Build

Time for helmet #2! For this one I used Rafalfett's V2 helmet templates on the advice of Le1120. This is what I have so far:

859e33a644e7705a87ae982abee16883.jpg


895531444b0ce1a680f0af4ad04fdfd9.jpg


a3c2bf1a3ae3e61af036f87f93b02398.jpg


c015d3dfb3d1e023b0481073e7e16b9a.jpg


ba3bc6a59c9dcddcc8632c22429deb81.jpg


733ca5dae6579659e7040165b724a52d.jpg


48433265c6b46b3b88c548e0ed02da2a.jpg


6240e404774266c82fe4d3aa58e6d531.jpg


For my last build I used the WOF templates so this is a new experience but it seems to be working out alright so far.

More to come, stay tuned
 
I build mine using WoF - how does it compare? Easier?
Rafalfett's are less symmetrical because they are more screen accurate so that adds a little difficulty in my opinion. Plus a little extra work making the inside support first. Aside from that not much difference difficulty wise. Rafalfett's seems like a sturdier build so far.
 

ShortFuse

Hunter
At it again so soon, I see. I was contemplating using Rafalfett's templates for my second build also. I will be watching your progress.
 
Aww... Damn

I got the outer layer cut out but for some reason it didn't line up. So I had to tear it off the inner layer and reprint the templates. Setbacks this early in the build are annoying

Bright side: I'm a full member now! Granted... That has nothing to do with this build, but I'm pretty stoked!
 

RafalFett

Well-Known Hunter
It was a printing or a line-up problem? It is important when you do the line-up to follow the lower contours of the inner and outer layers and not the top one (as some did by mistake). The build looks good so far and congrats for the full membership!
 
It was a printing or a line-up problem? It is important when you do the line-up to follow the lower contours of the inner and outer layers and not the top one (as some did by mistake). The build looks good so far and congrats for the full membership!
It was a line up problem. The first thing I lined up when gluing was the outline of the right ear. But by the time I got around to the left ear, it was too far forward.
When cutting out the outer layer I cut out the entire back, the cheeks, and most of the visor, so it may have lost its shape in the process. When I redo it I will keep the cheeks and visor intact for now and just cut them out later.

Thank you!
 

Silverstalker

Active Hunter
Blimey someone has got the bug :lol: keep going fella, document everything you come across it's always good to iron out mistakes for future reference.. I am subscribed ;)
 
Alright so short update. Between the wife and kid being sick and work and school it's been slow progress

But I was finally able to get the outer layer on.
Learning from previous mistakes I left the cheek and visor on the template when cutting the cardboard out

79aa6ac1b40cbe803835ed653ea0eeb8.jpg


Made the decision to cut the cheeks and leave the visor

97dcec8874b3963358f96bf0574f2822.jpg


Sprayed the cardboard with water and curved it into shape. I taped the back to help it keep shape until it dried

26a7513db2c73324edaabcbdec57197c.jpg


8932dde3bec290108ce6045b78c4a560.jpg


Once the outer layer dried I hit it with some wood glue and put it on. Per Rafal's advice I lined it up according to the front center line of the t-visor as well as aligning the bottom edges of the inner and outer layers. I didn't quite get the red rim around the helmet perfect but it's close.

656440bcd3ae115d9c35abb9fca26245.jpg


641c725b0c121ecfdd29247c728487c6.jpg


bcab42f2f0c253addc3b4606506c8338.jpg


Up next I'll be removing the inner support and cutting out and putting in the upper and lower cheeks
 
One of my favorite parts is getting the cheeks in because to me that's when the helmet really starts to take shape. But holy hell was this a hassle. Let's get to it

First things first. I had to cut out the existing cheeks

24a4e75c05a9738a77beeb29495dcabd.jpg


4022d7c399452132bb95dfced10e1bd0.jpg


Putting in the upper cheeks (particularly the right one) was a super pain in the ass to put in. I was finally able to get it in, and there are some small gaps in the fit, but nothing that can't be taken care of with a little bondo.

ac761aee1b65ab9c1235a296fcbdb6f1.jpg


After letting those dry it was on to the lower cheeks, and these were even more difficult to fit than the uppers, but with some trimming and a "can do" attitude, I got those bad boys in there

2c76eb9c911fe8cb72faadbfb354ccf6.jpg


cb496449d6db0e49ec5db255ac1445f6.jpg


After letting those dry I just had to fit in the inner lower cheek supports and the cheeks are good to go!

Here's the final result

7392210a323dfdc0225ce660835cac60.jpg


b97089838d2f643451db8bbd50475ba5.jpg


c0929924d63dd9f9601d33540d847113.jpg


aac96ab091c5d1f34abb7958b7db6426.jpg


So next time it's on to cutting out the dome base, putting in some dome supports and then finally the dome. I remember this step being a nightmare on my last build, so I'm hoping I fare better this time! We shall see
 

jonbenm

Hunter
I'm not well versed in working with aluminum but I don't see why not
I just started working with metal armor the only thing you will need is a Palm sander (it's a hell of a lot easier than doing it by hand) and a dremmel to make the dents. And a drill with a bigger but to start the dents then use the sanding wheel of the dremmel to widen the dents it sounds kinda tough but it's not to bad

the dark side
 
I just started working with metal armor the only thing you will need is a Palm sander (it's a hell of a lot easier than doing it by hand) and a dremmel to make the dents. And a drill with a bigger but to start the dents then use the sanding wheel of the dremmel to widen the dents it sounds kinda tough but it's not to bad

the dark side
Wow that's pretty interesting. Maybe something I can experiment with in the future
 
Top