Budget steel toe spikes build.

Fettastic

Active Hunter
Hey Team!

I'm pretty new to this forum and since I have received so much help already from members and their posts, I thought it was time I contributed. I wanted to make real steel toe spikes for my ESB build without breaking the bank. No mine are not completely screen accurate or at least not to the ROTJ mystery of the myth photo's. Part of that is because the boots I bought from another member had holes already set too far back on the boots so I have to make mine similar to reuse the same holes. Unless someone can shed some light on a filler that would work well? Hint hint for some advice? And I'm not too sure about film accuracy because I couldn't find any screen footage of the ESB toe spikes up close. Will I be fine copying the ROTJ images from Mystery of the Myth on my ESB? Also it looks like the right boot outer spike should be tilted upward and the Left Boot outer spike should be tilted downward, according to the ROTJ Mystery of the Myth photos. Is this correct even for ESB?

Anyways I picked up all the materials at Home Depot for about $5.00 but I already had the JB weld so that's going to run you another $5.00 but this is what I put together.

Materials:
Steel Flat Bar 3/4" wide (you only need about 1' but I could only find 3')
4Galvanized Steel Nail Spikes
4 Small Flat Head Screws
4 Small Round Head Philips style

Tools:
Safety goggles
Gloves
Screw driver
Vice grips
hand held grinder
hand held wire wheel (mainly for weathering)
JB Weld

Materials minus the screws.
IMG_2660.JPG

Round off the square tips of the nail spikes with a grinder.
IMG_2666.JPG

Grind down the tip to flatten it out a bit.
IMG_2682.JPG

Measure your boot and bend the flat bar accordingly.
Also for a clean bend and less mark up from the vise, use
extra flat plate between the one you are bending and the vise
grips. The markings do however add a very cool weathering texture
from the vise grips.
IMG_2669.JPG

Weather to your liking.
IMG_2677.JPG

Match up the flat bar with your boots.
IMG_2674.JPG

IMG_2693.JPG

Cut the nail spikes to length.
IMG_2683.JPG

Grind off and angle your spikes according to bend in flat bar.
IMG_2689.JPG

Match them up with your flat bar.
IMG_2686.JPG

Drill a hole in the spikes to the rear deep enough to recess your flat head screws.
IMG_2694.JPG

IMG_2695.JPG

JB Weld your screws in the recess making sure the screw
is at a 90 degree to the angle of the spike.
IMG_2696.JPG

Let the JB Weld cure for 24hrs.
IMG_2698.JPG

After the JB weld is done curing on the spikes, drill holes in the flat plate for the spike screws to go through and JB weld them to the flat plate once attached to the boot. Then Screw in the Round Head flat head style screws towards the rear.

Finished! Not 100% screen accurate I know but you can definitely get it there with the right boots and a good eye! Hope this can help some doityourselfers :D

IMG_2781.JPGIMG_2783.JPGIMG_2782.JPG

IMG_2670.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back