Helmet bucket colour

There's a guy on here that sold his suit, eagle something. He painted all his metal looking parts with it. Prime, then black gloss, then the alclad 2 chrome, then dullcote to take some shine to it. Ends up looking like brushed aluminum. There's a vid on YouTube about it . Not on a Star Wars prop, but same difference.

I painted my first bucket with this & the appearance is very similar to rub n buff. With rub n buff you get natural wear & a real world look to it. I have done up my dented lid like this. Both look great & it just depends what you want out of it. Rub n buff is easier to touch up if you need to. I got a small paint chip in the dome of my painted helmet & I would have to repaint the entire dome to properly fix it.

When I did my bucket I used a dark primer, hit it with the metallic silver, then misted it with satin polyurethane And it turned out pretty good. If your going for a weathered look use the rub n buff trick.

I tried the paint and im pretty sure the problem is my painting skills and not the method :-( think I will try rub n buff . Thanks guys

Wow some great detailed techniques here. I feel like I'm eavesdropping sometimes though! Good luck with the work, I'd love to see some photos of the finished product.

Just a note, as for order of painting; Paint the blues first, THEN the Rub and Buff. Trust me, it's going to look much better since you're not having to mask off the rub and buff, which will not only leave some residue but also remove some of the paint. Just apply the rub and buff and then leave it alone for 2 or so days

Rub and buff is wax...pinstriping wont stick WELL itll stick Im sure but itll stick maybe after its all dried? Alclad is FAR FAR FAR I cant stress how much better option it is, Google image search alclad and tell me R&B is as good.

I have posted a pic before of a rub n buff & Alclad II helmet. They are very similar but the rub n buff one acquires a nice, worn patina to it. Can you tell which one is painted?

029.JPG

Right is RnB and Alclad on the left?

I've never used alclad myself but from pics of others helmets I've seen is that it's extremely shiny. The one thing about Jango is that the silver is somewhat shiny, but you're going to have to beat it down a bit to dull it out. You'll see that a cold cast helmet compared to an RnB, that the cold cast is actually "darker" in appearance where RnB is "brighter" silver, which is why Vince mentions adding a patina

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back